night shift

Options
I work steady night turn. 3 12 hour shifts a week. I don't know how to eat. Should I try not to eat through the night, eat at night and count that as dinner, or eat and count it as breakfast. I think this night stuff really messes me up. Any suggestions or experience with dieting and working nights?

Replies

• lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    when I used to work nights, I would have my dinner after I got up in the evening, then bring my lunch for during work, and eat a light breakfast when I got home in the morning. I guess it's kind of eating your meals backwards, but that's what I did. :smile:
  • Hetfield
    Hetfield Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am in the same predicament... I will be starting night shift on Wednesday after being on day shift for 4 years. I am nervous about eating during that shift because I remember that last time I did nights I had stomach issues when I ate lunch at midnight.... It's such a strange way of life, isn't it? So I think what I'm gonna do is bring some fruit, maybe a sandwich and baked lays.... that way its nothing that will upset my stomach like the cafeteria fried food can.... Any other suggestions from night shifters out there? I will probably do as Lyla29 said and eat my biggest meal before going in to work and a light bfast before going to bed that morning.....:yawn:
  • sheryl07
    sheryl07 Posts: 5
    Options
    I know my husband works swing shift and when he works nights, he eats his dinner before he goes into work. He will then take a light lunch with him and eat a small breakfast when he gets home.:happy:
  • JillDavisWright
    JillDavisWright Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I work nights and I count every day from midnight to midnight. This seems to be the only way I can do it and work nights. Otherwise, when you switch back to days when you are off, it's all messed up. Anyway, works for me.