Any other roller derby people?

Options
Hey MFPers!

I've been using MFP for a couple months now to get healthier in general, but also lose weight to get better at my passion, roller derby. Are there any other derby girls in the woodwork?

P.s. if you're interested, feel free to check out my blog: all4derby.blogspot.com

Replies

• jb140
    jb140 Posts: 29
    Options
    LUV Derby!!
    Played 2 years for Little City.
    Most Cathartic Release I've ever experienced!
  • Sassywolf
    Sassywolf Posts: 12
    Options
    I am not actively in roller derby but I have a lot of friends that are and I think it is great. Good luck with everything.
  • all4derby
    all4derby Posts: 55
    Options
    Awesome jb140! Yes, I looove it. I play for the DC Rollergirls. Nothing else matters when I put on my skates :)
  • all4derby
    Options
    I am not actively in roller derby but I have a lot of friends that are and I think it is great. Good luck with everything.

Thank you!
  • lynn666
    lynn666 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I skated for a short time, but a lovely broken leg and dislocated ankle got in my way! Skating is a great way to burn calories. Good luck and keep your bones together!
  • Oplesandbanonos
    Oplesandbanonos Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    my sister was on the dallas derby devils (the slaughterers) and i used to practice with her. never had time to try out for the team though, my schedule doesn't allow for all of the time you need to put into roller derby :( i love it though!
  • emilybrokaw
    Options
    I've been wanting to get into roller derby! Don't know how I'd feel about the black eyes, but it just seems like such a fun way to exercise.
  • all4derby
    Options
    I've been wanting to get into roller derby! Don't know how I'd feel about the black eyes, but it just seems like such a fun way to exercise.

I haven't had any black eyes yet, but plenty of bruises. There is a saying, "roller derby saved my soul" and I would say it's totally true. If you're thinking at all off doing it, you should! I wish I had started years ago.
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Love the Dallas Derby Devils!! I don't play, but would love to someday.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    one of my MFP pals is a roller derby girl- if you'd like, I'll send her your user name....
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get into roller derby!
  • all4derby
    Options
    one of my MFP pals is a roller derby girl- if you'd like, I'll send her your user name....

Sure, thanks!
  • all4derby
    Options
    I'd love to get into roller derby!

DO IT! I promise it will be one of the best things you've ever done for yourself.
  • SoxxEBeotch
    SoxxEBeotch Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been involved in derby for almost a year now. I've skated with a few teams, mainly just practicing with them, trying to get a feel for the sport. I finally found one that I was comfortable with. I began doing their Fresh Meat program at the beginning of March. That may not have been such a good idea, being I was just coming off an ACL injury, and still had (have) two bone contusions, all in the left leg. I just wanted to make it onto the actual team, and I think I've pushed myself too hard, too soon. Minimum skills testing is this weekend, and I may have to bow out. I have no doubt that I'll pass, but my knee can't handle the next level, which is an added day of practice, with the team. Once we pass this round of skills, it means that we can pay for our insurance and start doing knee slides and falls. My leg isn't ready for that yet. I'm bummed, but I have to take care of myself...............
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    i believe _snw_ is into derby
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    If only.

My balance is terrible, the world is constantly spinning for me which is a shame as I reckon I would have been pretty darn good.
  • all4derby
    Options
    I've been involved in derby for almost a year now. I've skated with a few teams, mainly just practicing with them, trying to get a feel for the sport. I finally found one that I was comfortable with. I began doing their Fresh Meat program at the beginning of March. That may not have been such a good idea, being I was just coming off an ACL injury, and still had (have) two bone contusions, all in the left leg. I just wanted to make it onto the actual team, and I think I've pushed myself too hard, too soon. Minimum skills testing is this weekend, and I may have to bow out. I have no doubt that I'll pass, but my knee can't handle the next level, which is an added day of practice, with the team. Once we pass this round of skills, it means that we can pay for our insurance and start doing knee slides and falls. My leg isn't ready for that yet. I'm bummed, but I have to take care of myself...............

Oww, yeah you definitely need to take care of yourself first. Derby will always be there if you choose to go back, but you only get one body so best to treat it well!
  • stylishgirl
    stylishgirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can't skate (well beyond a straight line for about 10 feet before falling) but I LOVE me some derby. We go watch a lot. My derby friendlies are an inspiration to me. Good luck!
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Crazy sport and I love watching! Congrats to eveyone that gets out there.
  • Vi0l33t
    Vi0l33t Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'd love to learn. Would be tons of fun :)