walking...

Options
I walk every day for 1.5 hours but I don't see a difference...well, on the scale anyways and I can't afford to go to the gym right now so what do you all suggest? I have been changing my nutrition too.

Replies

• moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    do interval training, jog one side of a block, walk a block, do this for as long as you can and then when you are tired just walk but try and increase the distance jogged every week, or pick a walking path that has a large variety in hills
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    walk faster :wink:
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    How fast are you walking? Is it all level ground? How many calories are you eating? There are so many factors that add into the weight loss efforts!
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest some strengthening workouts. I use "pop pilates" on youtube. She's a little perky for my taste, but it kicks my butt and mixes up my routine a bit. And it's free. :) Also, buy yourself some free weights.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's great you have the time to do that much walking, but how much exercise is it? If you're strolling along, you'll hardly get your heartrate up at all, nor break a sweat. If you're walking a dog, you'll stop a lot. ARe you walking fast, breathing fast? How is your heart rate during the walk? While walking everyday is good for you, your body will adjust and become more efficient at the task - it's an evolutionary adaptation that helped our species survive. Everything I've read about fitness and losing weight through diet and exercise advises 1) get your heart rate up when exercising, you need to sweat and getyour heart up to 70/75% of max (keeping in mind that as your heart strengthens, it'll be harder to get it up high enough); 2) change your exercise routine every six weeks or so when you no longer feel challenged because your body adapts to it.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    IF you like walking, try Walk Away The Pounds, DVDs by Leslie Sansone. 4 and 5 mph walks with 4 basic moves. It's the only cardio I do (besides walking the dog). Many different versions, at Target and Walmart for around 9-10 bucks~
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I walk pretty fast at a brisk pace. I need to get into jogging though. I am thinking about getting into jump roping too. I eat under 1200 calories.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I walk pretty fast at a brisk pace. I need to get into jogging though. I am thinking about getting into jump roping too. I eat under 1200 calories.

Are you grossing under 1200 calories? Or netting? If it's gross calorie consumption, you might consider doing some researcha about the inadvisability of consuming too few calories. I regularly net right around 1200 about 5-6 days/wk; the day off my net is closer to 'maintenance' level of about 1800. My weight loss has been steady for 9 1/2 months. 38 weeks - 38 pounds. And best of all: no sense of deprivation.