Anyone running to lose weight? How is that going?

Options
2»

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Am I running to lose weight? No. I'm running to run and race, any weight loss is secondary (as it also makes me faster).

4 years ago I was 220. Started biking a lot and started running again after a couple years without running. Got down to 180. Started really counting calories, got down to 150. I'll do anywhere from 0 to 75 miles per week biking and 12-25 mpw running, depending on how I get to work
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend doing some strength training in there. I went from never being able to pass 6 miles in an hour 3 weeks ago, I went 7.34 tonight! All thanks to strength training. It really works for me! I run hard on the days I do not lift and rest completely on Sundays. My weight has stalled out but I was warned it would for a little while. I'm shrinking though!
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Been wanting to get into running for awhile now. I've been running on a treadmill because I'm a little scared of being disappointed in my performance if I go outside, but after reading this post I feel much more motivated. Thank you all!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think this is going to be my mantra this summer: run to lose weight. I've had some changes in my job and we've just bought a house, so my hubby and I don't want to join a gym, because of the extra cost. I think I'm just going to go for runs to take the weight off.

Will running harm conception, if we're trying to have a baby?

Shannon
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs just running and doing the occasional JM or bodypump class...I have been gaining incredible shape in the last three months after starting heavy lifting and cutting down a little on milage...
    No movement of the scale, but at least onse size smaller....
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    me too, but I think what it is is that the body gets used to a certain type of workout after time...I've got Jillian 30 Day ordered...gonna see how that works out :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    LOL. You just typed up pretty much what I am going through.

I run 3 days a week and do some sort of cardio the other 4 days. I also strength train 3-4 days a week. I have lost 1/2 lb since January. I have dropped a lot of inches, so my clothes have gotten smaller, but the weight isn't budging. I am only 12-13 lbs from my goal, but at this rate, I'll be 50 years old before I hit my goal. Ha ha!

Just saying, isn't losing inches the point? I mean, does it matter if you're 10 pounds over your goal weight (which is usually some arbitrary number we pick anyway) if you look thinner?

I lost about 20lbs, and running definitely factored in since it was my main form of cardio for most of the time. I will say, lifting weights made the biggest difference for me. The month I stopped lifting I lost about two pounds, but my measurements stayed the same, meaning it was probably all muscle loss I was seeing on the scale. Long distance running isn't necessarily the best way to burn a lot of fat either. HIIT is supposed to be ideal for that.
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing weight because my body adjusted to the same running route and distance. I threw in fartleks (speed drills), hills, and additional cross training weight training, and weight loss resumed.
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm only a beginner runner (I've been doing C25K for over a month now) and while my weight has't really gone down that much, my body composition is changing dramatically. My legs alone are really noticeably slimmer and less flabby.
    I don't know how you're doing so much on only 1200 cals a day. I only run between 2 1/2- 3 k, 3 times a week and I'm eating at least 1500 cal and eating my exercise calories back. I would be half dead otherwise. Personally, I would try upping your calories for a few weeks and see what happens.
    Also, I was eating 1200 cals a day before starting C25K. My weight loss completely stalled after upping my cals and starting to run, but this week I had a 2 and 1/2 lb loss. I figure it's just starting to balance out now!
  • dcone2001
    dcone2001 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I lost initial 10lbs purely on walking my dog an hour a day and watching my calorie intake. Put on a few pounds when my back healed and went back to work. Now I'm running 3-4 times a week with up to 400-450 calories burned and noticing body changes. I also do a 20-30 minute calisthenics routine (push up, pull up, dips, abs and and some exercises with bands) on my off days for 3 weeks. I'm stuck at 194-195 but my wife tells me my love handles are disappearing and chest is looking nice. It seems to me the longer and harder I run mixed with toning is doing the trick for me.

I signed up for a couple of 5k obstacle races as well to keep me motivated.

*edit just realized this topic is really old
  • milliasmomma
    milliasmomma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started a couple of years ago walking /jogging on the treadmill. I decided to start running 5k races. I didn't really drop any weight just inches. which I decided was ok with me at the time. I told my husband I wanted to do a mud run.... he thought I was crazy!! I was 5'3" about 230lbs. at the time. I kept running on the treadmill and doing 5ks.... losing inches not weight. We did the mud run and I finished strong!!! Last year alone my husband and I ran 7-5ks and 1 mud run!! I didn't start loosing weight until I watched every single calorie I ate and added some core workout training in my routine!! So for me, running is enjoyable and the main part of my exercise, but I mix in the elliptical and bootcamp/core workouts..... not the weight is coming off!!