fit2fat BMR calories? Someone explain please!

Options
I just followed the suggestion fo a different thread and went to the fit2fat web site and caluclated how many calories I should be consuming based on my activity level, age, body fat %.... it is almost 1100 calories more a day than MFP gives me- :noway:

Can someone expain this to me? What is the difference??? I am so confused!!! :sad:

Replies

• lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just followed the suggestion fo a different thread and went to the fit2fat web site and caluclated how many calories I should be consuming based on my activity level, age, body fat %.... it is almost 1100 calories more a day than MFP gives me- :noway:

Can someone expain this to me? What is the difference??? I am so confused!!! :sad:

fat2fit includes your activity level (your exercise) and MFP does not--that is why on MFP if you add in your exercise it gives you additional calories to eat. Also, IMHO, MFP calorie guidelines are extremely low and are often below your BMR.
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think you mean fat2fit. :)

I think they recommend the calories based on your BMR (excluding multiplier) + exercise. So if your BMR is 2000 and your exercise is 500, they'd recommend 2500.

MFP, does it a little different it uses your BMR (plus the multiplier) and subtracts your goal (i.e. 500 calories a day) and excludes exercise. So if your BMR plus multiplier was 2400, it would recommend 1900 -- and then as you exercise you would earn calorie credits.

That's just a guess though. . .

It seems to me though that fat2fit's bmr calculator is much higher than any of the others I've used -- so I think it even calculates your bmr higher than MFP does which adds even more to their calorie recommendation.

With that said... fat2fit suggests that you HAVE to eat AT LEAST your BMR or you will be starving yourself. I like them and their podcast, but I have yet to hear them back up that with any kind of evidence, journals, citations, etc.
  • mom2kea
    mom2kea Posts: 33
    Options
    Ok, I'll try and not be too long winded here. I began the Fat2Fit method about 3 weeks ago, and it can be confusing, and shocking if you are used to a VLCD. There will be all kinds of responses posted here with varied opinions. Do your research, give it time, and come to your own conclusions. A little background on me. I am a former WW Leader who lost 77lbs 10 years ago, gained it back 3 years ago, and am 58lbs in to losing in again now. This time I did the first 50 or so with a diet doctor on appetite suppressants and a 1250 cal/day diet. With vitamin shots for energy, because as he explained it, I would need it on so little calories a day as well as the appetite suppressants if I was going to stick to so low for any length of time. At about the 50lb mark, I stopped losing. I had been working out vigorously and was growing very frustrated. He did a body fat analasys at the beginning, and then again for me and although I had dropped 50lbs, I had only dropped 4% BF. I was shocked. I was also weak, and fighting constant injury in my calves. After finding MFP, I increased my calories to about 1600/day. (I'm 5'9 and 41). I dropped 5 lbs in one week, then stopped again. I found Fat2Fit, increased my calories again. In 3 weeks I haven't dropped any more "weight" (my number is the same) but I have lost 1/2" from my waist, 1/2" from my arm, and a full inch from my hips. I know I have done a lot of damage to my metabolism and it will take some time to recover, but I am thrilled, because I am getting smaller, and fitter, and my calf has finally healed. Now, to answer your question,

Fat2Fit's philosophy is that you eat NOW for the maintenance calories of the weight you want to be. So based on your question, that number is the maintenance calories of the weight you want to be based on your activity level. It would make perfect sense that it would be more than what MFP says, because they base theirs on going BELOW your BMR, then adding exercise calories that you enter. I choose to set my daily calorie goal to the maintenance calories of my goal weight (160) at a sedentary level, then I let it add in my exercise calories. I eat those if I want, but I never go below that other number. On average I eat about 800 calories more than MFP tells me too. I strongly suggest you download their podcasts and listen, listen, listen. It will gradually make much more sense. Good luck to you, and I hope I helped.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

see, I TOLD YOU I was confused!!!! :laugh:
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I choose to set my daily calorie goal to the maintenance calories of my goal weight (160) at a sedentary level, then I let it add in my exercise calories.

Good explination! How did you choose "to set my daily calorie goal to the maintenance calories of my goal weight (160) at a sedentary level"

Did you make your current weight your goal weight?
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll try and not be too long winded here. I began the Fat2Fit method about 3 weeks ago, and it can be confusing, and shocking if you are used to a VLCD. There will be all kinds of responses posted here with varied opinions. Do your research, give it time, and come to your own conclusions. A little background on me. I am a former WW Leader who lost 77lbs 10 years ago, gained it back 3 years ago, and am 58lbs in to losing in again now. This time I did the first 50 or so with a diet doctor on appetite suppressants and a 1250 cal/day diet. With vitamin shots for energy, because as he explained it, I would need it on so little calories a day as well as the appetite suppressants if I was going to stick to so low for any length of time. At about the 50lb mark, I stopped losing. I had been working out vigorously and was growing very frustrated. He did a body fat analasys at the beginning, and then again for me and although I had dropped 50lbs, I had only dropped 4% BF. I was shocked. I was also weak, and fighting constant injury in my calves. After finding MFP, I increased my calories to about 1600/day. (I'm 5'9 and 41). I dropped 5 lbs in one week, then stopped again. I found Fat2Fit, increased my calories again. In 3 weeks I haven't dropped any more "weight" (my number is the same) but I have lost 1/2" from my waist, 1/2" from my arm, and a full inch from my hips. I know I have done a lot of damage to my metabolism and it will take some time to recover, but I am thrilled, because I am getting smaller, and fitter, and my calf has finally healed. Now, to answer your question,

Fat2Fit's philosophy is that you eat NOW for the maintenance calories of the weight you want to be. So based on your question, that number is the maintenance calories of the weight you want to be based on your activity level. It would make perfect sense that it would be more than what MFP says, because they base theirs on going BELOW your BMR, then adding exercise calories that you enter. I choose to set my daily calorie goal to the maintenance calories of my goal weight (160) at a sedentary level, then I let it add in my exercise calories. I eat those if I want, but I never go below that other number. On average I eat about 800 calories more than MFP tells me too. I strongly suggest you download their podcasts and listen, listen, listen. It will gradually make much more sense. Good luck to you, and I hope I helped.

I've looked at the site and did the calculations. On MFP my BMR is set to 1630 but according to Fat2Fit, it should be 1676 and my TDEE is 2011. Now, I'm pretty damn active and lately I've been burning 600-700 cals a day in workouts. I usually take my BMR at 1676 and eat all my exercise calories back. Basically, I eat 2300-2400 cals during workout days and 1700 during rest days. Not sure if I factored in everything but I'll know if it works during my next weigh in.

Bit of background info:
    Height: 5'8.25"
    Weight: 219.6lbs
    Body fat according to F2F: 39.4%
    Work outs 5-6 days a week (currently burning 600-700 cals)
  • mom2kea
    Options

I think they recommend the calories based on your BMR (excluding multiplier) + exercise. So if your BMR is 2000 and your exercise is 500, they'd recommend 2500.

MFP, does it a little different it uses your BMR (plus the multiplier) and subtracts your goal (i.e. 500 calories a day) and excludes exercise. So if your BMR plus multiplier was 2400, it would recommend 1900 -- and then as you exercise you would earn calorie credits.

That's just a guess though. . .

It seems to me though that fat2fit's bmr calculator is much higher than any of the others I've used -- so I think it even calculates your bmr higher than MFP does which adds even more to their calorie recommendation.

With that said... fat2fit suggests that you HAVE to eat AT LEAST your BMR or you will be starving yourself. I like them and their podcast, but I have yet to hear them back up that with any kind of evidence, journals, citations, etc.

It is true that they do not cite research on their podcast, but I don't know if that's true for their book. However there is cited research all over the internet to back the claim that you should NEVER eat below your BMR especially for any length of time. Your BMR is what your body needs to function if you were in a coma and never stepped out of your bed. The second you get out of bed in the morning, you begin burning calories beyond that. BMR is different than your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which includes your BMR and all activity done during the day, including exercise. the F2F calculator is giving you your TDEE at your goal weight, not your BMR. Their BMR calculators are the exact same methods found all over the internet. TDEE varies from person to person, and sometimes it can take time to determine your own. If you continually eat below your BMR, your body WILL find those calories from somewhere, and the most efficient place to take them from is not fat, it is muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so if your body dumps muscle, it doesn't need as many calories to make it through the day. It will find a way to equal what you are giving it.
  • kenny_johnson
    Options
    It is true that they do not cite research on their podcast, but I don't know if that's true for their book. However there is cited research all over the internet to back the claim that you should NEVER eat below your BMR especially for any length of time. Your BMR is what your body needs to function if you were in a coma and never stepped out of your bed. The second you get out of bed in the morning, you begin burning calories beyond that. BMR is different than your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which includes your BMR and all activity done during the day, including exercise. the F2F calculator is giving you your TDEE at your goal weight, not your BMR. Their BMR calculators are the exact same methods found all over the internet. TDEE varies from person to person, and sometimes it can take time to determine your own. If you continually eat below your BMR, your body WILL find those calories from somewhere, and the most efficient place to take them from is not fat, it is muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so if your body dumps muscle, it doesn't need as many calories to make it through the day. It will find a way to equal what you are giving it.

Can you provide some links? I have not been able to find anything that supports that theory except from blog and forum posts.
  • kenny_johnson
    Options
    If you continually eat below your BMR, your body WILL find those calories from somewhere, and the most efficient place to take them from is not fat, it is muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so if your body dumps muscle, it doesn't need as many calories to make it through the day. It will find a way to equal what you are giving it.

Also, help me make sense of this. In order to lose weight you HAVE TO have a calorie deficit. So whether you're eating at, above, or below your BMR, the only way you can lose weight is if at the end of the day/week, etc you are burning more calories than you're consuming.

So why would eating below your BMR mean that your calorie deficit is made up by your body from muscle, but at or above your BMR it's from fat?

Either way, it's a deficit and your body needs to make up that deficit by using some of your body tissue.
  • kenny_johnson
    Options
    I started a new thread, so I won't hijack this one. If you'd like to respond to me, do so here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/558894-eating-below-your-bmr-why-is-it-bad
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I started a new thread, so I won't hijack this one. If you'd like to respond to me, do so here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/558894-eating-below-your-bmr-why-is-it-bad

I wouldn't have considered it hijacking! I love new info!!!!

Another question though- if I am understanding this correctly, using this method is a better way to keep on an even path so to speak- by averaging out your food/exercise calories instead of just piling them into one day- by this I mean, I always wondered if having a big dinner, but exercising early the next morning would work on my calorie offset... I don't really thik you body magically hits a "reset" button every night at midnight- am I correct?
  • mom2kea
    Options
    If you continually eat below your BMR, your body WILL find those calories from somewhere, and the most efficient place to take them from is not fat, it is muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so if your body dumps muscle, it doesn't need as many calories to make it through the day. It will find a way to equal what you are giving it.

Also, help me make sense of this. In order to lose weight you HAVE TO have a calorie deficit. So whether you're eating at, above, or below your BMR, the only way you can lose weight is if at the end of the day/week, etc you are burning more calories than you're consuming.

So why would eating below your BMR mean that your calorie deficit is made up by your body from muscle, but at or above your BMR it's from fat?

Either way, it's a deficit and your body needs to make up that deficit by using some of your body tissue.

Of course you have to have a deficit. Once again, your BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate, the number of calories your body burns COMPLETELY at rest, such as laying in bed all day long and never leaving it. Once you do anything, you begin to burn above that. TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Which is your basic metabolic functioning, plus all of your activity for the day, of which exercise is a part. So if you are a pretty sedentary person and don't exercise, and your overweight, eating at your BMR would be a safe deficit. However, if you are exercising and never eating those calories, you are creating a deficit that is greater than your body can handle. You are absolutely right, you will lose weight, but what will that weight be? If the deficit is too high, a large portion of that will be muscle, so you will be skinnier, but not stronger, and possibly prone to injury. You also will not have as much muscle, so you will not be able to eat very much without gaining weight. Once you begin to stop "dieting" it will be very difficult to keep the weight off, which is why the vast majority of people end up yo-yo dieting. Every person is different and the challenge is in figuring out exactly what your body needs to safely and efficiently lose FAT. Not necessarily just weight. Obviously as you lose fat your number will go down, but it might go down slower than if you were losing fat and a good portion of muscle. I've seen it happen as a WW leader over and over and over.

Also, just another personal experience story, 5 years ago my husband became very ill when his appendix ruptured. He could not eat food for 4 months. He lost 40 lbs and hardly left his bed at all. He received nutrition via IV twice a day. When we set up his plan with his nutritionist they set the calorie level for his IV bag to his BMR, plus another 300 calories. He lost plenty of weight, but was so weak he couldn't even walk to the mailbox when it was over and put all that weight back on within 2 months.

Just my experience. Like I said, read, do your own research, and come up with a plan that you think will work for you. If it's not, make adjustments. :-)
  • mom2kea
    Options
    [

I've looked at the site and did the calculations. On MFP my BMR is set to 1630 but according to Fat2Fit, it should be 1676 and my TDEE is 2011. Now, I'm pretty damn active and lately I've been burning 600-700 cals a day in workouts. I usually take my BMR at 1676 and eat all my exercise calories back. Basically, I eat 2300-2400 cals during workout days and 1700 during rest days. Not sure if I factored in everything but I'll know if it works during my next weigh in.

Bit of background info:
    Height: 5'8.25"
    Weight: 219.6lbs
    Body fat according to F2F: 39.4%
    Work outs 5-6 days a week (currently burning 600-700 cals)
    [/quote]

I think you sound just right, certainly not in a dangerous calorie zone! I tried to run some numbers for you, but you didn't say what your goal weight was. I entered it at a high end for your height of 165. With that fat2fit's recommended calories for you at very active is 2743, the sedentary level is 1908. Like I said, the way I choose to manage my calories is I set my daily calorie goal in MFP to the sedentary level (which for you would be 1908) I never go below that, even on my rest days. On my exercise days, I enter my calories and let MFP add them to my calorie goal. I don't usually eat all of them, but some days I come close! I usually am between 1900-2400. It's working for me, but YMMV.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Wow your story sounds almost exactly like mine. I also started fat2fit about 2 weeks ago and see no change in weight, I did take measurements and hope to see some results there.