Chemicals in our foods hmmmm

Options
You watch the news and come to find out, pink slime is in our ground beef. O so yummy. NOT! You sit there and wonder what else is being put in your food. I sure do. Do you think this could be a part of the obesity going sky high? All of these chemicals, our bodies arent use to, could give us a bad side effect, making us gain weight and have other health issues. What if: these chemicals trigger brain activity making you want to eat more and consume more. Could that be possible, anyone ever think about that?

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think the UFO's are behind it. They want to fatten us up for the harvest.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    People are fat generally because they eat too much, not because of certain ingredients in foods. I have eaten whole foods that I cook myself for many years (I am talking locally raised beef, vegetables, etc.), mostly avoiding prepackaged stuff, and still got fat.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If eating too much is just the case of getting fat, why isnt my bf fat? He eats more than me on any given day.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Options
    If eating too much is just the case of getting fat, why isnt my bf fat? He eats more than me on any given day.

Because he is not eating too much.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    You watch the news and come to find out, pink slime is in our ground beef. O so yummy. NOT! You sit there and wonder what else is being put in your food. I sure do. Do you think this could be a part of the obesity going sky high? All of these chemicals, our bodies arent use to, could give us a bad side effect, making us gain weight and have other health issues. What if: these chemicals trigger brain activity making you want to eat more and consume more. Could that be possible, anyone ever think about that?

This was discussed some time ago...a lot of nay sayers but I think there may be some validity to it.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Options

This was discussed some time ago...a lot of nay sayers but I think there may be some validity to it.

Dieting to lose weight causes obesity because eating a calorie deficit triggers brain activity making you want to eat more..

If you believe this crap, fine. Eat however you like, grow fat, and be happy. Or take responsibility for yourself- eat right, pick up a damn bar and lift some ****.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I recently read "Master Your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels. The premise of the book is that the chemicals in our food and environment affect our bodies in various ways (PCOS, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, thyroid problems, etc). She really advocates for a clean lifestyle--not only in eating but in the products we use on a daily basis. The info that was provided made sense to me. She also pointed out that we are often told that the chemical levels in a certain product are minimal, but when we use/consume several products that have the chemical the exposure increases dramatically.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

Precisely. The boyfriend burns more than you do on a daily basis. Hence, he can eat more than you and not gain weight.

I am not pro-crappy food or anything, as I stated above I have avoided food that contains things like pink slime or artificial preservatives for years. However, obesity can largely be blamed on people eating too much food (any food). I can say that with certainty by just looking at US portion sizes in restaurants, seeing what my coworkers generally eat on a regular basis, looking at my portion sizes prior to MFP, etc.
  • tlc12078
    Options

He eats more than me. SO how is he NOT eating too much? He eats. How can you validate this?
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    FYI all food is composed 100% of chemicals. Sorry to break it to you.
  • tlc12078
    Options

Precisely. The boyfriend burns more than you do on a daily basis. Hence, he can eat more than you and not gain weight.
    Here we go, how can you validate this. He east more than me, sits on his butt, but in great shape. He sits do I have to record this to validate it? Seriously, the only time he does work out is when he goes back to work. Hes laid off.

I am not pro-crappy food or anything, as I stated above I have avoided food that contains things like pink slime or artificial preservatives for years. However, obesity can largely be blamed on people eating too much food (any food). I can say that with certainty by just looking at US portion sizes in restaurants, seeing what my coworkers generally eat on a regular basis, looking at my portion sizes prior to MFP, etc.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    * sarcasm voice* but I though everyone loved ammonia(h) substitutes in their food
  • Sl1ghtly
    Options

He eats more than me. SO how is he NOT eating too much? He eats. How can you validate this?

He isn't fat. Validated.
  • tlc12078
    Options
    I tried to reply to the post but it didnt let me, so he eats more than me. How do you know he works out? He dont, your not here to prove this. He sits all day long. I on the other hand do everything, but I gain faster than him. I cut a lot out of my diet. But he dont have to. He eats way more than me. I just dont understand how you people, who never met him, validate he eats less or works out.
  • tlc12078
    Options

He isn't fat. Validated.

no its not, if eats more than me, never works out, adn yet hes slimmer.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Look. Everyone burns a different amount of calories everyday. Your boyfriend can eat more food than you without gaining because he simply expends more. This is a fact within physics. It's not some garbage made up in someone's basement. Also, Levitsky said something very profound back in 2002 that is mostly true:

“The combination of these data with George’s insightful idea, has merged into a modification of the popular Set-Point Theory of the regulation of body weight. The alternative “Settling Zone” Theory suggests that whereas biology may determine a range of body weights (adiposity) that are maintained fairly constant for long periods of time, within this “zone”, the behaviors responsible for controlling energy intake and energy expenditure are influenced primarily by environmental and cognitive stimuli.”

I eat whatever I want and I'm not fat. I just eat two mini Mr. Bigs and I'll probably be eating more chocolate later yet I'm approach sub-15% BF. Why aren't I growing right before your eyes? Oh, because I control my energy intake.
  • NeekyRae
    NeekyRae Posts: 34
    Options
    I've been on this for almost a year now. Tracking these stories and everything that we are intaking.
    It's disgusting.

I'm now raising my own chickens this year and have a garden.

I reccomend Food Inc. It's a movie that will enlighten you.
    I could write a book on all of the chemicals you are intaking daily. Even in your water bottles, milk, and especially orange juice!
  • alliecat40
    alliecat40 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Watch a movie called " Forks over Knives" you can find it on Netflix.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Blame it on his metabolism. You can have two people the same age, height, weight and gender but one could eat more than the other because their metabolism is more activie burning more calories. Everyone's calorie burn is different. It could also depend on his body composition muscle/fat etc.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Options

He isn't fat. Validated.

no its not, if eats more than me, never works out, adn yet hes slimmer.

Either he is immune to the chemicals, or he is a genetic freak who lacks fat cells, maybe he has worms.. or he doesn't eat too much. I bet its worms. He doesn't drag his butt on the carpet, does he??