Tower Garden by Juice Plus: Has anyone used this?

Options
sun33082
sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
A FB friend of mine sells Tower Gardens by Juice Plus and is trying to sell me one. I've always thought having a garden and growing my own fruits and vegetables would be nice, but I don't deal well with weeds and maintenance that goes with gardening (bugs, worms, fertilizer, etc). So this concept of a tower garden without soil sounds nice, but I want some actual reviews of the product. It's kind of expensive to start ($500 broken down to monthly payments for 12 months).

I'd prefer reviews from people who don't sell them :)

Replies

• sun33082
    Options
    I guess that's a no?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Anything with a payment plan reminds me of a car - big investment. It's not something I'd put my extra money into, friend or no!
  • dirobert
    dirobert Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't have one...not enough sun. However, I have several friends who do and they love them. They are so much more hassle free than the traditional garden.. One of my friends who has a traditional garden also, said her tower garden is growing her greens twice as fast as "dirt" garden. She also said that she is already fighting bugs off of her traditionally grown vegetable, but they have not touch her tower garden yet. I would definitely have one if I had a spot for it. The way food prices are going up, I may have to trim back a tree to make a place.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I had a look at their website and it looks like an interesting idea but it does appear a little pricey and, if I'm reading things correctly, you're going to be buying supplies from them forever too, kinda makes you wonder if the amount of produce you're likely to get from it makes it cost effective.
  • sun33082
    Options
    That's what I wondered about the continuous supplies and cost. I was hoping there might be something similar on the market that would be cheaper.
  • rachelwebster
    rachelwebster Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a friend trying to talk me into one too....but she hasn't even tried it yet! I'm going to do my regular garden this summer and if this thing actually works for her maybe I will give it a try next fall.
  • yani2020
    yani2020 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just purchased mines for $500 + tax & shipping. I'm waiting for the seed to germinate. I'm growing lettuce, cherry tomatoes, ect.. You can buy seeds from other places and use it with the garden tower. The vegetables can last you a couple of months. You just cut what you are using to eat and it will continue to grow. I think it was a great investment.
  • marlopaterson
    Options
    I am a JP distributor and my Tower Garden is being delivered tomorrow. I cannot wait to get it and start growing my own stuff. I know I'm going to love it. My friends who have them swear by them!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    What you need to realize is the Tower Garden is made of a food-safe plastic that is UV stabilized for years of outdoor use. So this $500 investment could last you 10-12 years just like a vehicle where all you are doing is adding plants, water, tonic, and replacing the water pump if it ever did break.

I invested in one, transplanted my seedlings in early April, and have already been harvesting multiple bowls of kale, lettuce (romaine & gourmet), cilantro, basil, and spinach. I love that I’m controlling when my produce is being picked and without and pesticides. No tilling of soil, waters itself and uses 90% less than soil gardens, no weeding, no bending over, and the plants grow 2-3 times faster because of the way the aeroponic growing system works!

I can email you pictures of mine if you’re interested in seeing one in action!
  • marlopaterson
    Options
    Update - I've had my TG for a month now and i LOVE it. I can't say enough good things about it! We started some things from seed and transferred some seedlings that we bought . All 20 pots are filled and everything is growing successfully. People say it's pricey... but I guarantee most people could find an extra $46 in their monthly budget that is wasted on unnecessary things - and what a great investment! Feel free to contact me if you want pictures - I've been taking them all along to show it's growth.
  • jmiller8031
    Options
    It cost $500 for a piece of plastic with some holes in it and a water mist sprayer. You can build your own for $20. People have been making their own DIY aeroponic gardens for years ever since NASA developed the technology. Just google "homegrown aeroponics" or something else like that. Just beware that 50% of what you get in results will be potheads looking to grow bigger marijuana plants.

P.S.- Any company based on a pyramid scheme is out to screw you somehow. Everyone that works for Juice Plus gets paid more when they recruit more people to sell their stuff. Juice Plus bought the rights of the Tower Garden from a guy who designs professional grade aeroponic equipment. Juice Plus didn't invent any of this, they just raised the price 25 times over. The fact that they sell their "tower tonic" for $40 when it's just a jug of $5 mineral enriched water is hilarious.

If you want to know where this all came from look at http://www.futuregrowing.com/index.html This is the guy who invented it before selling it to Juice Plus. It's a pity, I'm guessing he needed more capital for his projects in a hurry. there's plenty of other companies out there that sell similar things that aren't out to rob you blind. Just look around on Google. I myself just build my own.
  • turnoveranewleaf
    Options
    I love my Tower Garden. It has helped me to eat healthy and fresh even in the heat of South Texas. It's just a matter of priorities, most people don't think twice about spending $200 bucks on upgrading their cell phone or buying a kindle or spending $43 a month to add their kids to a cell phone plan. It is made by an American, in America and distributed by a debt free American Company. So I guess there will always be the nay sayers, but I beleive in facts and results, not opinions.
  • blainepilates
    Options
    I know this question was posted months ago but, I just joined and had to reply. I own a Tower Garden and absolutely love it!! I spend a fortune on fresh organic produce and still am not positive it's herbicide, pecticide and fungicide free!! With my own simple, no weeds, dirt, bugs or weeding growing system I know for sure there are no chemicals because I choose not to use any. As far as cost...there is no finance charge so it's not like purchasing a car as one reply stated...and $499.00 is nothing what you get in return, I save more $$ in groceries than my tower cost and that was within 4.5 months of owning. I'm eating free at this point and will for the rest of my life!! I value mine and my family's health more than anything and thank God for my TG, living a healthy lifestyle is soooo much easier!! My kids love it to, they eat incredible amounts of fresh produce!! I hope this helps if you have'nt purchased one yet and if you have...best desicion for your health you've evr made :)
  • dianageng
    dianageng Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We got our Tower Garden two weeks ago. The decision to purchase it was based on the money we would SAVE, not how much we were spending to get it. I have tried conventional gardening for years without great success becauseI I just don't have the time to keep it up and to constantly water and weed it. Getting a conventional garden started is expensive. Soil, manure, fertilizer, stakes, tomato cages etc. It adds up in a hurry. Then add the constant watering to that. I try to feed my family lots of greens but honestly, I have to throw away a lot because it goes bad before we get to it. Tomatoes cost $1 a piece and my family wants to eat them all the time. Strawberries are always popular but half the time they aren't sweet and many strawberries are moldy already before you bring them home. This year I hope to be able to tell my kids, Yes, eat all the strawberries and tomatoes you want instead of saying; no, you can only have this many or sorry, we don't have any.

About having to buy the supplies forever from the seller is not any different than having to go to garden stores to buy your supplies for you regular garden. You always end up buying it somewhere and someone is making money off it.
    The person who said you could build one yourself for $20, please price it out for us. We thought we'd save some money and didn't buy the dolly on wheels accessory. My husband built one but knowing now that the wheels alone cost $10 a piece we ended up spending more on the materials (wood, hardware and paint) than if we had bought with the Tower garden.
    I live in SC and it get very hot here during the summer and gardens need lots of water. The idea of recycling the water and having a timer that can be adjusted was very appealing to me.
    I'm planing on growing produce that is expensive to buy, such as cauliflower, eggplant and fennel (which is also hard to find).
    I can't wait to get started!
  • dianageng
    dianageng Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We got our Tower Garden two weeks ago. The decision to purchase it was based on the money we would SAVE, not how much we were spending to get it. I have tried conventional gardening for years without great success becauseI I just don't have the time to keep it up and to constantly water and weed it. Getting a conventional garden started is expensive. Soil, manure, fertilizer, stakes, tomato cages etc. It adds up in a hurry. Then add the constant watering to that. I try to feed my family lots of greens but honestly, I have to throw away a lot because it goes bad before we get to it. Tomatoes cost $1 a piece and my family wants to eat them all the time. Strawberries are always popular but half the time they aren't sweet and many strawberries are moldy already before you bring them home. This year I hope to be able to tell my kids, Yes, eat all the strawberries and tomatoes you want instead of saying; no, you can only have this many or sorry, we don't have any.

About having to buy the supplies forever from the seller is not any different than having to go to garden stores to buy your supplies for you regular garden. You always end up buying it somewhere and someone is making money off it.
    The person who said you could build one yourself for $20, please price it out for us. We thought we'd save some money and didn't buy the dolly on wheels accessory. My husband built one but knowing now that the wheels alone cost $10 a piece we ended up spending more on the materials (wood, hardware and paint) than if we had bought with the Tower garden.
    I live in SC and it get very hot here during the summer and gardens need lots of water. The idea of recycling the water and having a timer that can be adjusted was very appealing to me.
    I'm planing on growing produce that is expensive to buy, such as cauliflower, eggplant and fennel (which is also hard to find).
    I can't wait to get started!
  • karenrichardshealth
    Options
    I have one as well.....and today (March 14) still have the original Kale plant going I planted a year ago.....was well worth the investment. I also did not buy wheels. I did buy a tomato cage. I have had to purchase the nutrients twice so $80 in past year. Still have half a jug each. Grew this winter in my kitchen with $10 walmart grow lights.
  • happyhealthykidz
    Options
    What kind of lights did you use? Did it seem like the plants were happy and getting what they needed?
  • itsmeberly
    Options
    We are also looking at investing in one of these and I'm happy to see that others have had success. I'm curious about the business opportunity. If anyone sells the Tower Garden, I'd like more info. Thanks!
  • Bren35
    Bren35 Posts: 1
    Options
    We have been selling the Tower Gardens even before they were under Juice Plus. We have 19 towers up and running and absolutely LOVE the fresh produce we get from them. We have a web site and face book page
    www.glo-n-gro.com which has pictures, information and a place for orders. There is a 3 tower deal running right now that would provide all the fresh veggies a family would need for 15% off....or a single tower to test it out. We are happy to help and give advice. We have been there and done that with the tower gardens and would love to answer any questions you might have. E-mail is info@glo-n-gro.com or bren59@me.com
  • robinthomason1
    Options
    I love my Tower Garden!!! This is my second year growing vegetables. If your concerned about pesticides, herbicides and GMO's this is a great product. Or if you want to garden but have limited space this is also a great gift to yourself. If you don't want a payment plan then you can pay for it in full.