So Overwhelmed!

Options
I began reading the Tosca Reno book "The Eat Clean Diet". I am so confused and overwhelmed with all of the new information of what foods to eat, what foods not to eat, and how to MAKE these foods. Healthy eating needs to taste good as well.

I don't really know how to cook, let alone cook healthy. I am so frustrated because I was raised in a household that didn't incorporate healthy eating habits. Cup O Noodles are good for you because it has noodles and vegetables is what they said. Now that I am adult I know better but that is just an example of how I was taught my whole life. Stores try to trick you into thinking something is better for you by saying "reduced" or "fat free". No one else in my has a desire to eat better , including my husband.

Today my dad asked if I wanted anything from Carls Jr. and I said no. He brought me back a burger anyway and when I said I didnt want it, the 3 family members there started nagging at me until I caved in and ate it =(

Trying to shop with my husband doesnt help either. He is a Marine and in shape and eats whatever the heck he wants and tries to convince me that things aren't "that bad". Tonight I used an example of reduced fat funions and he said just eat the regular. I said "how about I don't eat them at all?"

I don't know what to do or how to make these changes and not feel like I am being deprived.

Replies

• Sezzwick
    Sezzwick Posts: 12
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that you are not receiving the support you need from your husband and family to help you make the changes to your lifestyle to live healthier. That is REALLY tough! I have a fairly supportive husband (although he DOES bring junk food into the house which drives me nuts...because if it's in the house, I'll eat it!!!) and a very supportive sister but my mother isn't as supportive as she should be and is constantly offering me foods that are high fat, sugar, calories...etc. I am not sure why people have this strange sabotaging behavior. You can't control them all you can do is control yourself. There are some great tips on things you can do to not feel deprived on this site as well as several others. I personally think it's important that you have those little "treats" so I try and work them into my daily plan.
    Keep your chin up and remember, the changes you are making are important and you deserve as much support and encouragement as possible to make them a daily part of your life!!!

Keep going!!!!
    Sarah
    :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I began reading the Tosca Reno book "The Eat Clean Diet". I am so confused and overwhelmed with all of the new information of what foods to eat, what foods not to eat, and how to MAKE these foods. Healthy eating needs to taste good as well.

I don't really know how to cook, let alone cook healthy. I am so frustrated because I was raised in a household that didn't incorporate healthy eating habits. Cup O Noodles are good for you because it has noodles and vegetables is what they said. Now that I am adult I know better but that is just an example of how I was taught my whole life. Stores try to trick you into thinking something is better for you by saying "reduced" or "fat free". No one else in my has a desire to eat better , including my husband.

Today my dad asked if I wanted anything from Carls Jr. and I said no. He brought me back a burger anyway and when I said I didnt want it, the 3 family members there started nagging at me until I caved in and ate it =(

Trying to shop with my husband doesnt help either. He is a Marine and in shape and eats whatever the heck he wants and tries to convince me that things aren't "that bad". Tonight I used an example of reduced fat funions and he said just eat the regular. I said "how about I don't eat them at all?"

I don't know what to do or how to make these changes and not feel like I am being deprived.

The reason that MFP has worked, when ALL other attempts, such as WW, Overeaters A., Dr's diets, and even being hypnotised, TWICE, haven't, is because here we AREN'T deprived! :smile:
    We CAN have the foods that we want, we just need to "work for it". We do this through portion control and LOTS AND LOTS of exercising to "earn" what we want.
    I've learned to mainly eat filling, low cal stuff for MOST of my meals, (oatmeal, salads, lots of fresh veggies) get lots of exercise, and cut down a little on my meat and potato portions at night, and just "occasionally" have stuff like a double cheeseburger, pizza, baked goodies, and Chinese food.
    And it's WORKED! :happy:
    As for not getting support from your husband, mine was like that AT FIRST, but once he saw the weight WAS coming off, he started bragging to everyone about it, and is 100% behind me now! :happy: Hopefully, it'll be the same way for you. :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    well, I'll say this, changing how we eat can be tough, especially when we don't have the support of our family. But what you may want to think about doing is sitting down the people who you are close with, and explaining to them that you're not DIETING, you're going to eat healthier, and you would appreciate their help with that, then explain to them that urging you to eat food you consider bad is not helpful. On the other hand, unless they ask you, telling them that the food THEY are eating unsolicited is annoying too (trust me, my wife started eating healthy well before I did, and while I supported her, it could get annoying when she told me how many trans fats were in my food). Be wary of that.

And ask your husband if he's worried about high blood pressure, cholesterol, plaque (the kind in the arteries, not on your teeth), sodium content...etc.

You can look healthy as a horse, be thin, and athletic, and still have really bad blood numbers, which can lead to heart disease, stroke, heart attack, liver problems, and colon cancer just to name a few.

One note, I am wholeheartedly for eating clean, but you don't have to do it all in one fell swoop. You can start by cutting out the really bad stuff, then gradually add in fresh veggies, different types of meats, whole grains...etc. it doesn't have to be a complete stop and direction change all at once. That should help with the husband thing too.
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to write a repsonse.

I think I really get hit up by reading this book. Saying NO peanut butter, NO sugar, NO cheating. If you want to bad enough, you will decide not to cheat and that exercises to "earn" treats is wrong. Perhaps I am just not read for that kind of mentality. Just the way I am reading makes me feel like if I don't do it that way, then I am just going to fail.

I will make note not to nag about others nutrition. The only time now when I say something now is when they try to tell me something is healthy and I will flip over the bottle and say "look at all the trans fat/sodium/sugar" then they get annoyed. They know I am trying to eat clean, but they think eating clean is extreme. My grandmother says "I have been eating this way my whole life and I am just fine"
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    why would you have to say no to peanut butter? Peanut butter isn't bad for you. I mean, depending on the brand that is.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to write a repsonse.

I think I really get hit up by reading this book. Saying NO peanut butter, NO sugar, NO cheating. If you want to bad enough, you will decide not to cheat and that exercises to "earn" treats is wrong. Perhaps I am just not read for that kind of mentality. Just the way I am reading makes me feel like if I don't do it that way, then I am just going to fail.

I will make note not to nag about others nutrition. The only time now when I say something now is when they try to tell me something is healthy and I will flip over the bottle and say "look at all the trans fat/sodium/sugar" then they get annoyed. They know I am trying to eat clean, but they think eating clean is extreme. My grandmother says "I have been eating this way my whole life and I am just fine"

your book says no peanut butter? I would question a book that says that unless there is a specific person the book is addressing...maybe your book is too extreme...I have read alot of books on clean eating and have never heard one that says no peanut butter....which book is it?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,927 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    When I made the decision to start this journey toward health and weight loss, I made a rule for myself to plan my eating ahead of time and to say no to anything that is offered to me if I haven't already planned to eat it. That keeps me out of the discussion about whether the offered food is healthy or not. I just don't accept anything at all. It was very scary the first time I declined a bagel and cream cheese that a friend brought me one morning, but once I did it, it was easier to do the next time.

I started following my own modified version of clean eating in January and what amazed me most was how much more food I could eat when I stayed away from processed foods, sauces, condiments, and a lot of other non-essential stuff.

Take it one day at a time and take baby steps and you'll see amazing results in your life.:bigsmile: