How can I stop retaining fluid?

AlmostHot
AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I have fluid retention, my mother has it and takes medication for it. I dont want to take medication or do a detox (as it will only come back). I thought thought it would get better as I clean up my diet but it seems to be getting worse. I have never used salt in cooking or added it to my food and havent been eating much salt so I can't reduce that and walking really makes my hands puff up. Does anyone have any ideas on controlling this without taking medication?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Hi I have fluid retention, my mother has it and takes medication for it. I dont want to take medication or do a detox (as it will only come back). I thought thought it would get better as I clean up my diet but it seems to be getting worse. I have never used salt in cooking or added it to my food and havent been eating much salt so I can't reduce that and walking really makes my hands puff up. Does anyone have any ideas on controlling this without taking medication?

watch the sodium content in your food, lots of foods contain sodium (it's a preservative) even though you can't taste it. Keep your sodium levels under 2500 (but above 1500, you need a certain level of sodium for many body functions) and your water retention should stay relatively low. But realize, we all retain some water, it's natural, and as long as it's not an excessive amount, it shouldn't be a cause for concern (unless your doctor is concerned).
  • AlmostHot
    Thank you, sodium between 1500 and 2500 got it! My fluid is more than normal eg can press my finger into my shin and the skin doesnt bounce back! Pretty funny! (but also worrying)
  • hulkj
    hulkj Posts: 218
    I have this same problem and I'm not into medication unless it's mandatory. I use real lemon juice in my water and I basically drink water all day. I don't put lemon juice in my water everytime, but always in the morning and late at night. It is a natural diuretic(sp). I very seldom have caffeine. It took me about 40 days to break the coffee habit! :laugh: I feel so much better! I do have a cup of coffee about once a week, and maybe one diet Dr. Pepper, because I don't believe in "never have". I'm trying to make this a lifetime thing! :smile: I also watch sodium content in my foods. It has been difficult because I am a salty eater versus a sweet eater. :tongue: Good Luck!
  • hulkj
    FYI...My dentist says too much lemon juice is not healthy for the enamel on your teeth! :happy:
  • AlmostHot
    Maybe my over dosing on pepsi max is not such a good thing huh? lol

Im in the midst is trying to give it up but still having about 3 cans a day

I will try the lemon juice thing, thanks

And watch my sodium

(my dentist said pepsi max is not good for the enamal on my teeth but it doesnt seem to stop me)

Living happy and healthy just might help me break the habit!
  • hulkj
    Believe me, I understand. I was the three cups of coffee and four diet Dr. Peppers a day girl!:laugh: I just couldn't understand why you could touch my shins and it was like a short from the Pillsbury dough boy!:laugh: I was also eating pretzels and salting my foods all day! Like many before have said on here, MFP works because you don't deprive yourself. I think it's all about balance. This is the first time in 20 years that I've been successful and I've tried everything! I still have a long, long, road to travel!!
  • AlmostHot
    Believe me, I understand. I was the three cups of coffee and four diet Dr. Peppers a day girl!:laugh: I just couldn't understand why you could touch my shins and it was like a short from the Pillsbury dough boy!:laugh: I was also eating pretzels and salting my foods all day! Like many before have said on here, MFP works because you don't deprive yourself. I think it's all about balance. This is the first time in 20 years that I've been successful and I've tried everything! I still have a long, long, road to travel!!

Lol:laugh:

I think I was drinking about 10 pepsi max cans a day but have set myself a rule that I cant have any till I drink a bottle(1.5L) of water, so 3 cans is pretty good, sometimes 2, will try to make it 2 for a few days and then cut it again, so I dont get headaches from caffene withdrawal

Has it helped with the fluid or are you still having problems with it?
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Pepsi max is your problem. artificial sweetener is a sodium based product. you might as well be taking salt intraveinously! Ditch the diet soda. Cucumbers and celery are natural diuretics, eat more of them and flush all the salt from your system with lots of clean water! Soy sauce is also very high in salt, just in case. Above all, watch your labels, reduce the salt intake.

Dr. Phil statement "how is that working for you?" If you know what the problem is, then fix it!
  • Do you know how to change your settings on your food diary to track sodium? I've been *ASTOUNDED* :noway: at how much sodium I've been taking in because I don't salt stuff either. It's in our food already!
  • mamapea
    mamapea Posts: 8 Member
    to keep track of sodium go to "my home", then click on "settings", then "diary settings". You can add a lot of various nutrients.
  • AlmostHot
    I added sodium to my tracker and I was surprised how much I have been eating, I havent even been logging all my pepsi because it has no calories, but now i know it has 100 sodium in it I will from now on. Thanks a lot guys, you have given me heaps of information I can use to help with the fluid. I will give them a go! I really appreciate your help, thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.