Time it takes to see muscle definition?

Options
Hey MFPals! This is the longest I've stuck to a "get healthy" plan. Normally when I get the bug to work out/diet, I'll lose about 5 lbs, feel proud.. and then slack off. This time is totally different. I'm about 6 weeks into working with a trainer and doing cardio 6 days a week, so my question is -- how long of doing weights until you start to see definition? I'm definitely losing fat, but I'm excited about seeing those muscle lines. I'm not a very patient person. ;)

P.S. If you like to work out and post those workouts in MFP, feel free to add me. I'm always looking for more motivational folks to track!

Thanks!!!
Jen

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on you. I start seeing definition in my arms by 3-4 weeks. Then again, I've done a lot of lifting in my life time, so there's a nice base there to start from! I lift weights, do yoga and tons of cardio. Yoga and some sort of cardio routine daily, and 3 days a week at the gym. Plus bellydance when I can! My last session just ended and I can't wait for the next to begin!

Sticking to a plan, long term, is never easy! Congrats for sticking with it as long as you have!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Just depends on body fat. I took me months to see a noticeable difference because I had to burn off all that fat. Fortunately the fat came off my upper body fairly early. My face, neck, shoulders, arms were the first places I noticed definition.
  • JenSkinLaPierre
    JenSkinLaPierre Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That makes total sense.... I've gotta burn a lot of the fat off the muscles in order to see them. Thanks so much!!! :)
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just depends on body fat. I took me months to see a noticeable difference because I had to burn off all that fat. Fortunately the fat came off my upper body fairly early. My face, neck, shoulders, arms were the first places I noticed definition.

^^ THIS for me too ^^