Losing Weight and Building Muscle

Options
adamb83
adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
I'm coming to my one-year mark on this fitness journey and I'm starting to take a look at new things.

I've lost about 72 pounds and my goal weight is still about 40 pounds off.

From what I'm reading, it's not really possible to build muscle and lose weight/fat at the same time. Is this true? I notice that I'm much stronger and definitely have muscles I've never seen before, but maybe that's because they were buried under all the fat?

I guess what I'm wondering is if I should still focus on just weight loss, or if I should switch things up and really start to lift heavy weights? I didn't realize, for instance, that to be slim and toned, you're not supposed to be doing much cardio (again - is this true? It's what I've been reading lately).

I do want to get a 6-pack/good definition eventually, but I don't want to be a body builder and I don't want to be bulky. So, if I have 40 pounds to lose and if I want to be not just thinner but defined, what should I be doing at this point? How should I be eating? If I eat more to gain muscle, that means I won't be getting closer to my goal... so should I wait and focus on getting to that goal weight of 145 first and THEN start lifting?

CONFUSING!

Replies

• Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far! How tall are you?

you are going to see a lot of posts of people saying you can't build on a calorie deficit -- but you can -- def run through some forums there are a ton of posts by the guys about how you can

I currently don't do any full on just cardio -- I lift and I'm toning well and my muscles are showing through. Remember that lifting does burn calories. Cardio is not the only thing that burns cals. Lifting tends to continue burning after your done.

Try some HIIT workouts as well.

I'm very bias toward lifting weights. I think it is amazing for your body and toning and that seems to be where you wanna go. You can use cardio to balance out
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You're thinking too much.

Eat at a deficit to maintain weight loss.

Lift with a quality progressive strength program to maintain lean mass. You will not build significant muscle mass while on a deficit, but you can certainly get stronger and leaner.

Work in some cardio each week for aerobic conditioning and additional fat loss. Mix up steady state with a HIIT workout or two.

Rest one or two days per week.

Rinse and repeat.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

check that link out, short version yes you can do both, for you to get bodybuilder big you have to actively try very hard to eat a lot of calories and lift heavy, a normal strength program will get you the results you want if you tailor it to your goals. you can build lean muscle mass and still loose fat at the same time, and the fat loss is nescesary to see the muscle deifnition that you are building which is why you are noticing it now that you have lost a significant amount of weight.

good luck!
  • adamb83
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far! How tall are you?

you are going to see a lot of posts of people saying you can't build on a calorie deficit -- but you can -- def run through some forums there are a ton of posts by the guys about how you can

I currently don't do any full on just cardio -- I lift and I'm toning well and my muscles are showing through. Remember that lifting does burn calories. Cardio is not the only thing that burns cals. Lifting tends to continue burning after your done.

Try some HIIT workouts as well.

I'm very bias toward lifting weights. I think it is amazing for your body and toning and that seems to be where you wanna go. You can use cardio to balance out

I'm 5'4" ...

Right now I'm doing the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, which is 4 workout days (mainly strength/resistance circuits with 1-minute cardio intervals between circuits) ..and 2 days a week its cardio. I think I would really have to increase the weights to get big results with this program, though, because it is semi-cardio basd (even the strength-training portions) and it moves so quickly..

Haven't looked into HIIT... I'll have to try to find something about it.
  • adamb83
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

check that link out, short version yes you can do both, for you to get bodybuilder big you have to actively try very hard to eat a lot of calories and lift heavy, a normal strength program will get you the results you want if you tailor it to your goals. you can build lean muscle mass and still loose fat at the same time, and the fat loss is nescesary to see the muscle deifnition that you are building which is why you are noticing it now that you have lost a significant amount of weight.

good luck!

Okay, thanks! I was confused because a lot of posts were saying that you can't build muscle while losing weight... but it seems like I have been (albeit, both are going slowly). I just want to be sure I can work towards the body I want, and not get lost JUST losing weight or JUST building muscle.

I definitely DO NOT want to be body builder big... so if I eat around 2000 cals daily, do 4 days of circuit strength training and 2 days of cardio.. I should be okay? Provided I keep pushing myself harder and harder on the strength training, of course?
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It's not true, that's a complete myth. Over the last 15 months I lost 30 pounds on a fairly restrictive calorie-wise diet, netting about 1200 most days. Since I get my body composition measured at the gym I know what my body fat % is and how much of my weight is fat and how much of my weight is fat free mass (bones, skin, muscle). Unless I am oddly adding skin and bones, I know that I have gained muscle every single month. So all of my losses have been fat, plus I actually lost more than 30 pounds in fat since I have packed on muscle. I went from somewhere around 30% body fat to 19.1%. Eat protein, do cardio and strength training, and eat the right amount of calories - eat your exercise calories, but track accurately and honestly both food and exercise. Good luck!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just to make sure it's clear - I wasn't recommending 1,200 for you, I'm a 5'4" female, and that's what I needed to net to get to goal weight.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Try the 100 pushup training program, that will put some definition onto you. Google it.:smile:
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" ...

Right now I'm doing the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, which is 4 workout days (mainly strength/resistance circuits with 1-minute cardio intervals between circuits) ..and 2 days a week its cardio. I think I would really have to increase the weights to get big results with this program, though, because it is semi-cardio basd (even the strength-training portions) and it moves so quickly..

Haven't looked into HIIT... I'll have to try to find something about it.
    [/quote]

Okay -- we are same height pretty much and that's why I'm asking. Currently I'm at 145 and I'm pretty fit that's why to me your goal weight seemed a bit on the lower side. But for your height it makes sense now.

I currently do CrossFit which has really toned me involving a lot of weight lifting and cardio too which is probably similar. But I also lift on the side after my work outs. As girl I won't bulk but I also don't eat anywhere close to enough calories to do so. Are the weights getting easier that you are using? If so you should start increasing as that is what I do in my workouts and keep building strength -- These HIIT workouts are going to create a more lean body mass.

When I started I was swinging 18lb kettlebells and now i'm at 35lbs (arm definition coming in but def not bigger)

Since you are still losing I would def start lifting those weights especially if you want a tight core and to help promote more calorie burn :) there is muscle under the fat but you can def do both and I strongly suggest it. As the other guy stated in order to build muscle you would have to be eating a lot of calories. That's for the guys who hit goal weight and then want to "bulk up"
  • adamb83
    Options
    Bump for more dialogue. :)
  • adamb83
    Options
    Try the 100 pushup training program, that will put some definition onto you. Google it.:smile:

I've been thinking about this, actually. I'm horrible at push-ups. I can do maybe 10.
  • tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    I would think it might be easier for an overweight person to build muscle while on a deficit, as long as they are taking in lots of protein. I mean, it kind of makes sense that there is fat to fuel the protein into the right places.

I would also then imagine if you are skinny and you are eating maintenance, that you should not expect to be gaining any muscle.

My 2 cents. Who knows.

I would suggest that you eat at least 35% protein though if you are looking at building, maybe it works.
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    BUMP
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 5' 4" and my weight has stalled. Although when I asked about it, all of the responses I got were to stop looking at the scale for a long period of time. It WILL come off, it just takes a bit longer but when it does come off, you will look amazing! Its worth the wait!

Let me tell you, I started with squatting 75 lbs, walking like a cowboy/zombie the next few days after. I'm up to 95 lbs (3 weeks later) and am not sore and my cardio is through the roof! I was running at barely 6 miles in one hour and couldn't push past it, tonight for the first time I hit 7.34 after only 3 weeks of lifting! I weigh in at 162 but people are shocked when I tell them that. They say I look 150 max! So, my personal recommendation is do it. To stop watching the scale is HARD, lord knows I'm struggling with it. You may put on some weight since your body will retain some water for a few days after lifting but you will start to shrink. It's very strange and I can't explain it. I'm very happy with it though!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    burn body fat with fat burning aerobic exercise and heavy weight lifting. Resting the muscle groups so they grow is key. Up your protein, lower your sugar intake and lift heavy!!! That will stimulate your metabolism as well as HGH. If you are eating enough protein and lifting correctly with rest days you can't help but gain muscle and lose body fat.
  • RobHuskinson
    RobHuskinson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recently dropped 6 stone (84 lbs?) doing kettlebells, weights and running. Eating right is key.

Google something called 'cutting' and check this out http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catcommand2.htm. You need to keep your cal intake at a decent level and eat clean! I run 5 days a week. 1 of those days includes circuits, 1 includes a 45min kettlebell workout.

Keep focused, you'll do it.
  • adamb83
    Options
    burn body fat with fat burning aerobic exercise and heavy weight lifting. Resting the muscle groups so they grow is key. Up your protein, lower your sugar intake and lift heavy!!! That will stimulate your metabolism as well as HGH. If you are eating enough protein and lifting correctly with rest days you can't help but gain muscle and lose body fat.

Sugar (and sodium) is SUCH a problem for me! I can't seem to get a handle on it. >.<

I'm also a vegetarian (complete - no eggs or fish) so protein, well, I can get enough, but it usually comes with an ample amount of carbs, too.
  • adamb83
    Options
    I recently dropped 6 stone (84 lbs?) doing kettlebells, weights and running. Eating right is key.

Google something called 'cutting' and check this out http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catcommand2.htm. You need to keep your cal intake at a decent level and eat clean! I run 5 days a week. 1 of those days includes circuits, 1 includes a 45min kettlebell workout.

Keep focused, you'll do it.

So you do just running 3 days, running + weights 2 days, and 2 days of rest?
  • adamb83
    Options

At the moment my routine looks something like:

Mondays - Shoulders/Triceps/Chest/Abs/Quads (+Optional Cardio)
    Tuesdays - Back/Biceps/Hamstrings/Glutes/Abs (+ Optional Cardio)
    Wednesdays - Cardio Only
    Thursdays - Shoulders/Triceps/Chest/Abs/Quads
    Fridays - Back/Biceps/Hamstrings/Glutes/Abs (+ Optional Cardio)
    Saturdays - Cardio Only
    Sundays - Rest

I don't think I'm pushing myself as hard as I could be with the strength training, though (not using heavy enough weights). I do circuit training, though, and it moves quickly... so when I up the weights, I poop out fast!