Runners, what do you do for cross training?

Options
Exactly that question :)

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be in the minority here but I don't do anything. The best exercise to do to become a better runner is to run. So, I fill up all my exercise time with running.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, bike, rowing, walk uphill
  • 5ladybugs
    5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Really? That's all I want to do. I just posted another topic about hating to strength train. Everything I read says you have todo something else. All I want to do is run, it's what I enjoy the most!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    when I was running a lot.... 30+ mile weeks I would cross train with cycling and yoga.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Strength training and basketball

Greg
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    bicycle, swim, some light weights
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be in the minority here but I don't do anything. The best exercise to do to become a better runner is to run. So, I fill up all my exercise time with running.

This, exactly.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    this and all the above HIGHLY depends on what type of running you are talking about, distance yes you all are correct putting in the mileage is the best thing
    sprints on the other hand needs the strength component to build muscle fiber and enhance your running workouts.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Strength training, heavy weights. I don't particularly like doing it, but I like what it's done for my body and for my running.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I've only JUST started running so I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer this question, but I do Yoga and swimming to cross-train. Yoga and swimming came first but I find that the three balance each other quite nicely.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    cycling, swimming, hiking, weights and various workout dvd's, (JM Body Rev, Insanity, P90X)
  • kmaas802
    kmaas802 Posts: 19
    Options
    I disagree that the only way to become a better runner is to run only. Since I added a day of strength training and a day of Pilates to my regimine, my running has improved in both speed and endurance. I follow Hal Higdon's training plans (I'm currently training for a half marathon) and he encourages cross training in his plans. It helps!
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Road cycling, spinning and strength and/or resistance training.

Right now I'm on a break due to runner's knee but my schedule is:

Mon Wed Fri - run
    Tues Thurs - strength and/or resistance training coupled with a long family walk after supper
    Sat intense spin class or 15+ mile bike ride
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I disagree that the only way to become a better runner is to run only. Since I added a day of strength training and a day of Pilates to my regimine, my running has improved in both speed and endurance. I follow Hal Higdon's training plans (I'm currently training for a half marathon) and he encourages cross training in his plans. It helps!

It helps in addition to the running volume. It doesn't help if you replace running volume with cross training. Mileage is still King and has been since the days of Arthur Lydiard.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    P90X + running 3x a week ..

I feel great and am in probably the best shape I've ever been in. I wouldn't recommend doing the full routine out of the gate though. When I first started I used the 3 strength days and substituted my runs for the 3 cardio days.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I do pilates and bikram yoga. I notice that it is really helping me out as I get into the longer runs in prep for my marathon in 4 weeks!
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    I circuit train 2x's a week and ballet once a week! The ballet sounds like a crazy addition, but it's been great to work muscles that don't get used when I'm out pounding pavement.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I was running everyday but it is very hard on your joints to do that. Even with my expensive $130 running shoes and taking joint supplements. I cross train and do elliptical, stair climbing, Spinning class, strength training, a lot of it! I strongly recommend strength training.
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Various calisthenics. Push ups, pull ups, and core, mainly. I find it helps my endurance to work these, especially the core.
  • 1fitmamacita
    1fitmamacita Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of strength training coupled with running. I love to run but I do find I have better endurance if I am lifting as well. I'm lifting around 80% of max.

I also love yoga a lot!