Eating out - advice needed please

fitmummy
fitmummy Posts: 9
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

I am new to this site, so therefore am after a bit of advice. I am going out for a meal later to a Chinese/Cantonese restaurant, but I do not wish to jeopardise my new 'eating healthier' regime as I am just coming to the end of my first week and will be weighing myself tomorrow morning. I would like to know firstly, is what types of foods should I order that is generally healthier and less calorific? I only really eat chicken or fish so my choices are already limited. Secondly, how do you record your meal in the food section of this site? I wont know the weight of the food.

Im sorry if this is a really silly question, but I am a newbie :smile: Any help would be much appreciated :wink:

Anji

Replies

• kolney
    kolney Posts: 93
    I'm still new too so I can't answer the greatest but I know that certain things are better than others.

For expample: stay away from anything with a batter (Sesame Chick, General Tso's chick, sweet and sour chick). I'm pretty sure there is usually a chick with veggies at most places. And as long as there isn't some thick sauce on it, it shouldn't be too unhealthy. Ask if they steam their veggies.

And don't overdo it. Just eat a little bit. Or...you could eat something healthy before you go so you aren't really hungry while there. not as much fun but way better for you!

As far as logging it, I have no idea. I think if you search it, you may find certain Chinese foods in the database.

Have a great dinner and welcome to MFP!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    OOOOOOOOOh sorry, chinese is the worst before a weigh in because they use a lot of sodium.

So what I do is ask for steamed everything and HOLD the salt/sodium glutamate. I even tell the server I am allergic to MSG........one time I knew the server was thinking yeah right, so I pulled a pen from my purse and told her that if I start to swell up and cant breath to please use my EPI PEN to revive me.

Her face when white and she said....be lite back....and took my plate away!! :laugh: :laugh:

N E Way, I do digress.

I ask for steamed dumplings..........1 spring roll with 1 packet of duck sauce.........steamed veggies and chicken or shrimp. Sometimes you can get a nice grilled or steamed fish at a nicer place, but smaller places are hard.

DONT be afraid to question the waitress........I once had the cook come out and I had the most AMAZING meal of my life (tipped him too!!:wink: )

Have fun and dont over do it!! That is key!!

00020121.gif
This discussion has been closed.