REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH WATER IS APPROPRIATE, I WOULD STILL L

Options
WJMont
WJMont Posts: 41 Member
I try to drink about 80 oz of H2O/ day, but I find it a lil hard because I'm also using 8oz+ water to make my protein shakes, carb replacement, and pre/intra workout drinks etc. throughout the day.

QUESTION: Does the water I use to make shakes and supplements throughout the day count towards my water intake goals (80, 100, 128+ oz./day)??

*** PLEASE EDUCATED RESPONSES OR HYPOTHESES ONLY***

Thank you and God Bless
Edited by WJMont on Wed 04/11/12 03:42 PM

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't see why they wouldn't. Water is water no matter how you're getting it.

I personally don't log my water intake because I'm lazy however I would consider my tea and coffee in my calculation.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    In my nutrition class, my professor is teaching us to drop the 8 cups a day rule. Some people are way bigger and may need more. Some people are tiny and don't need that much. How do you know if you're getting enough water? Look at your pee. If you look in the toilet and it's obvious that someone peed in it, then you're not drinking enough water. If you look in the toilet you have to stare at it to determine if there's pee in it or not, then you're drinking a good amount of water.
  • WJMont
    WJMont Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    In my nutrition class, my professor is teaching us to drop the 8 cups a day rule. Some people are way bigger and may need more. Some people are tiny and don't need that much. How do you know if you're getting enough water? Look at your pee. If you look in the toilet and it's obvious that someone peed in it, then you're not drinking enough water. If you look in the toilet you have to stare at it to determine if there's pee in it or not, then you're drinking a good amount of water.

Not trying to be funny, but when I pee it is neon yellow most of the time due to the multi vitas that I take. I do feel that'll I'm pretty well hydrated, but I never lknow if I'm getting enough to flush my system after the high amounts of protein
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Concentrated pee also has a much stronger odor.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The "clear pee" rule probably won't apply to you as much since you probably won't be able to tell but... here's the water calculator I use: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/water_calculator.htm
    Be careful with the multivitamins, we're supposed to recommend them every other day if it's absolutely necessary because the water soluble ones have to go past your kidneys and then you're downing a bunch of protein which also has to be broken up in kidneys. Don't make your kidneys work too hard.

I say if your pee is still super bright, you might want to drink enough water from the water calculator then drink a little more based on the color of your pee to tone it down a bit. Shooting for clear pee while on multivitamins may be overkill.
  • jmjatlanta
    Options
    I think what you'll find is that the jury is still out. Research that I found is old. The 8 glasses a day rule was outdated when it came out, and that was decades ago. Even if we drink 8 glasses a day, we would still be getting a good portion of our daily intake from food.

Generally, sedentary people drink more water than they need. Those that are active are often dehydrated. Dehydration can lead to cramping and pulled muscles. Too much water can lead to bloating and vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Extreme hydration can lead to "water intoxication" which can be dangerous.

The good news is that the distance between too much and too little water is fairly large. Make sure you're getting the nutrition you need. Drink plenty of water. Don't go overboard. Worry about bigger threats to your health.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My though has always been once you start putting stuff in it, it's no longer water. I put water in the coffee maker, right? But what comes out is not water, it's coffee.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My though has always been once you start putting stuff in it, it's no longer water. I put water in the coffee maker, right? But what comes out is not water, it's coffee.

Yeh but stuff like coffee is a dieuretic so it's actually causing you to dehydrate I dont think a protein shake would do that...I use stuff like akim milk as water cuz its close to it
  • Mel1959a
    Mel1959a Posts: 7
    Options
    Everything I have been taught over the last 10 years is take you weight divide by 2 and that is the number of ounces of water you should drink in a day. And yes the water you are getting in those shakes would count.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Not trying to be funny, but when I pee it is neon yellow most of the time due to the multi vitas that I take. I do feel that'll I'm pretty well hydrated, but I never lknow if I'm getting enough to flush my system after the high amounts of protein

A good rule to go by is drink half of your weight in water ounces.

So, if you weigh 200 pounds, drink around 100 oz. More if you live in a warm climate or do heavy work and workouts.
  • ericdeken
    ericdeken Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes the water you use to make up your drinks is counted towards your daily goal. Daily Water intake should be roughly half of your body weight..
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    I don't count any liquids as water unless they a crystal clear!

The purpose of water is to clean and filter and hydrate.... (?) Juices, whatever ionic liquid may hydrate, but they are going to make livers work anyways... I think is good to clean the pipes with clean water...
  • lightyeare
    Options
    A Dr. I know recommends drinking half your body weight in ounces of water per day. If you weigh 160 lbs, you should drink 80oz of water a day. Pure water, not tea or coffee or protein shakes. Of course she recommends you drink filtered water.
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There is no science behind the 8 cups a day rule (I've read extensively on the subject and also have several friends in the medical field). Also there is no rule thats states it must all be water. All liquid except alcohol counts as fluid intake. As for urine, vitamins and some foods can colour urine and give off strong odours so the clear urine theory is incorrect also. The best way is to learn what your body needs. Listen to the signals your body gives you. Also, and I'm sure everyone is aware of this, drinking to much water is dangerous for you (especially with certain heart conditions). After strenuous exercise and sweating, drinking just water is not so good for you as you need to replace the electrolyes and proteins, without which the water will put strain on your organs. I'm not saying drink sugary sport drinks, but something like coconut water will do the job.

Sorry this wasn't supposed to come across as a lecture, just trying to share the info I have.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Yes it counts, just like the food you eat that represents around 20% of your water intake. The body doesn't discriminate the water from other sources, only the internet does that.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's coffee. What you are missing is that your body is still able to use the water content of the coffee.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I include my water in the protein shake, & I double it too 16 OZ water W/ 1scoop protein powder. Otherwise that protein just binds me up, if you know what I mean.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that anything I drink needs to count towards my water as long as it does not have alchol or added sugar.