eating out!!

Options
13»

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

as ive said its not a chain, if the calorie count is available then obviously i will use it.
    yes i will know if something is deep fat fried but i wont know how everything on the plate is served...
    and deep fat fried food is never good lol saturated fat is bad full stop. especially when im trying to loose weight

stop your crazy talk. deep fat fried is ALWAYS good. this is why the state fair is, well, awesome.
    seriously. it tastes really good. and it's OK to eat. just don't eat as much as you used to. this is all about moderation, not restriction. I eat out, fried chicken, candy, etc. not every day. but I don't run away from it, either. make smarter choices inside of the foods you love, and you can still enjoy them -- and lose weight in the process.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    always eat raw when eating out cooked is bad

but I don't like my steak to still be mooing. so ...
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I opt for grilled meat and veggies and ask for baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes without butter and all the extra toppings. Another thing I do is split an entree with my husband or ask for a to go box right up front and put half my food in it for another day before I even start eating.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    Sauces on the side, grilled not fried, don't add salt/butter. It may sound funny, but some restraunts I order from the kids menu. You'ld be surprised at the amount of food some of them serve. I have also skipped the restraunt dessert and stopped and gotten a frozen non-fat yogurt instead. Every little bit helps.

honestly, when you restrict yourself so much, why go out in the first place? no sauce, no fried, no salt, no butter .... no point in me eating it.
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I love eating out!!!!!!

Serious answer: I split it with someone
  • SamanthaTheSpartan
    Options
    Sauces on the side, grilled not fried, don't add salt/butter. It may sound funny, but some restraunts I order from the kids menu. You'ld be surprised at the amount of food some of them serve. I have also skipped the restraunt dessert and stopped and gotten a frozen non-fat yogurt instead. Every little bit helps.

honestly, when you restrict yourself so much, why go out in the first place? no sauce, no fried, no salt, no butter .... no point in me eating it.

I agree. ...although it's the fatty in me agreeing.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If it's a chain restaurant, go online beforehand. Many of them have nutritional info posted.

^^^^^^This. Except for the occasional cheat meal, when calories don't matter, we rarely eat out anywhere except places where I can figure out the nutritional values. :smile:
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    i have no reason to fast because i do plan on eating healthily when i go out...its not the calories as much as the habbit. i want to get out of the habit of 'just doing what i want'. i can still order a meal that is better for you

You're misunderstanding. A single meal cannot be good for you or bad for you. And that meal you order won't be healthy or unhealthy. My rack of ribs aren't any worse than your salad because a single meal cannot negatively effect your health or positively effect it either.
    saturated fat is bad full stop. especially when im trying to loose weight

You are sorely misinformed. There is nothing wrong with saturated fats and it doesn't negatively effect fat loss. The only reason saturated fat is viewed as bad is because of agendas and terrible epidemiological studies. While I can't sit here and educate you on all the things the medical community has misinformed people about, I can assure that saturated fats aren't the bad guy.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/91/3/535.full
    "CONCLUSIONS: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat."

If you don't know what a meta-analysis is then google is your friend. There's more things similar to this. In essence, saturated fat fear is unwarranted. This isn't just one study but a META-ANALYSIS, so don't throw the horrific "I can find a study to support my position" that's used often here.
    Ask questions before you order.
    Order grilled chicken, or salads.

Not that hard really.

Sounds awful, which is why it isn't hard.
    don't add salt

Why shouldn't she add salt?
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend fasting for the day as suggested, unless you only go out once a month or so. If you are like me, eating out is pretty regular and so trying to starve myself just so I can enjoy a meal in a restaurant is not something I'd want to do on a regular basis.

No one is going to starve from holding off eating for a few hours. Let's be real right now. Everyone is so used to having food at will and eating every few hours that they can't imagine life by not eating for a few hours. You aren't going to die of starvation, you aren't actually that hungry, and tummy rumbling isn't a hunger sign either. Doing a fast allows for a far larger, more satisfying meal that is WORTH it. I can handle not eating for a bit so I can eat my rack of ribs and garlic mashed potatoes instead of paying a premium for salad with no anything and it tasting like grass.

Then again, very few people are willing to get used to fasting because they are psychologically defeated easily. I grew up in a Muslim household, so fasting has never been a problem for me. I don't expect everyone to do it but you not recommending my suggestion is just ... bah!

As a note, I fast 16 hours a day, every single day (including sleep, which only makes up 5-6 hours of my fast).

I agree with this - I fast eintermittently also (I do 24 hr fasts though) and if I know I'm going to have a big night I will fast during the day. It is much better for your diet to not eat anything if you are going to eat a big meal at night because you will have a larger deficit than if you ate during the day then ate a big meal at night.

I realise this option is not for everybody though.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

I agree. ...although it's the fatty in me agreeing.

but that's just eat. eat some of that stuff. just not as much as you used to. keep it under control. log it. make it fit. and enjoy your meal.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    AH, you can't add salt because it's the devil. didn't get get the memo?
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i was more looking for helpful suggestions, not a telling off.

it all gets a bit catty when we try to outsmart each other with our big words...

i wont ask in future lol
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    i was more looking for helpful suggestions, not a telling off.

it all gets a bit catty when we try to outsmart each other with our big words...

i wont ask in future lol

Nobody was telling you off, I checked.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When I started I found it so hard, especially with pub food with all the comfort and hearty favourites!!
    I found making a few small changes, not having wine with my meal, cutting down on dessert afterwards (I started off by sharing, then not having one at all).
    The thing I did find hardest of all though, was having the ability to turn down the foods I really like and were bad for me in place of something better. I found getting someone else to order for me stopped me blurting out my favourite fatty meal when asked what I wanted helped a lot.
    Also try something you've not had before, you never know- you might like it!
  • kford12
    kford12 Posts: 112
    Options

I have to agree. I would much rather have little-to-nothing during the day and have what I wanted when I went out. Looking at a menu and telling myself I am only allowed certain things when it is supposed to be a treat just makes me miserable!! :sad:
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Which pub are you going to OP? Some do put the nutritional info online, especially if it's a big chain. We went to a Wetherspoons the other week and I checked it beforehand to know what was within my allowance! (Surprisingly the cheesy garlic bread was less than a bowl of chips...yum!) I'd probably be more hesitant if it was a more independent pub, but I'd just pick something like a sandwich or jacket potato or something.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hi. Never get the fries if your meal comes with it- order extra veggies and order them plain (I sometimes ask for a side dish of butter and will just "touch" the veggie in it to add a little flavor, and then count for 1 TBPS of butter in my daily calorie count). I also order double veggies in place of anything else that comes with the meal. My favorite thing to get is black bean veggie burgers with just lettuce. People who know me are still in shock that I'm actually eating them, but I CRAVE them these days! Not every chain has nutritional information (like Max & Erma's), but you can get a general idea. If you eat steak, go with the less fattening cuts like Sirloin - a flat iron sirloin now tastes better than my previous favorite, Rib Eye/Delmonico. We eat out about twice a week and I even eat pizza once a week - IN MODERATION! I ALWAYS look up my calories before I go to the restaurant so that I know ahead of time what I'm going to order. The other key is to fill up with water before your meal arrives so that you're already feeling a little full when it gets there - this makes it easy to eliminate maybe a half of the bun or even the entire thing and makes it easier to resist dessert! :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Actually I find dining out to be very easy...
    Only restaurants who make foods fresh from scratch/made to order, that do not have a problem accomodating dietary restrictions. We have MANY places that are great about that!

If I order an 8oz prime rib, just cut it in half. It comes with grilled asparagus, I eat the whole thing. It comes with a salad, I eat the whole thing. It normally comes with a baked potato - I either give it to my husband, or they let me order something in its place where I cant digest potatoes...

That 4oz portion of prime rib saved is used with my breakfast the next day.