quick question :)

Options
OK...so I read a LOT of the posts in the newbies area - about what exactly BMR is - and why we can eat our exercise calories - which really helped because I was completely confused before I read that. But...I don't have time to keep reading to possibly find the answer to this next question.

So, hopefully, someone will be able to answer for me :)

This is my first day. I've logged every bite that has gone into my mouth for breakfast and lunch (I didn't eat or drink in between). I have 964 calories left for the day - but I'm still hungry right now (lunch time). So...can someone give me a rough guesstimate on what kind of food you can eat for 964 calories? I mean - is it 4 oz. of chicken with veggies? Or 1 cup of pasta? I just don't want to eat a little more now at lunch and then be able to eat practically nothing for dinner - you know?

964 doesn't sound like that much - and I didn't really eat that much today either! - but I'd rather stay hungry now and be able to eat dinner, than eat more now and be hungry at bedtime...does that make sense?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just ate a whole homemade pizza for 600 cals. 984 is perfect for snack and dinner.

Right now get some protien. I always feel hungry if I dont.

You can go to food log and see broiled chicken boneless breasts are somewhere aroudn 59 cals per oz. I always have some made up on Sunday for the week. When I am still hungry I FIRST drink a glass of water, because sometimes you are really thirsty not hungry, then I get some chicken!!

:drinker:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    A 4oz chicken is about 110 calories ... a cup of veggies is about 30-50 calories ... a cup of spaghetti is about 200 calories.

You have a lot of calories left until dinner so eat up!

Try planning a day ahead of time with snacks between meals (eat every 2-3 hours) .. that will boost your metabolism and get your body burning calories steadily throughout the day.
  • hickory
    hickory Posts: 42
    Options
    Thank you! I didn't even think of going to the food log and checking! Like I said, it's my first day-good tip!

OK. So, here's another question popping into my head as I peruse the site:

I marked myself as "light" activity when it asked when I registered. How do I know if I put that accurately? Some days are busier (therefore more activity) than others - but I want to start off on the right foot.

Also, how do you know how many calories you're burning with certain activities? Like - my family and I go on weekly bike rides for about 2 hours every weekend on the trails - but I'm not going super fast, as we have to go the pace of our 9 and 5 year olds...but I am towing my 2 year old...just don't know how to figure all of this. Thanks!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I marked myself as "light" activity when it asked when I registered. How do I know if I put that accurately? Some days are busier (therefore more activity) than others - but I want to start off on the right foot.

Also, how do you know how many calories you're burning with certain activities? Like - my family and I go on weekly bike rides for about 2 hours every weekend on the trails - but I'm not going super fast, as we have to go the pace of our 9 and 5 year olds...but I am towing my 2 year old...just don't know how to figure all of this. Thanks!

Light activity should work for you unless you end up running around all day.

As for calories burned, the best way is with a heart rate monitor (about $30 on Buy.com). Else, there are some calorie burn counters that can help estimate if you can guess your average speed.
  • imjeni
    imjeni Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    try a homemade taco salad. lettuce, 96% fat free ground beef, 98% vegitarian refried bean, reduced fat cheese, tomatoes. Just stick to portion size it under 400 calaries