Replies

• mtcHavingItAll
    mtcHavingItAll Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great information. Thanks!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Craaaapppp...so this whole time, I've been eating at 1200 cals (or a little less) thinking that was my customized number...when my BMR is 1372. So if I honestly eat more I will lose weight?? Because right now it doesn't seem to be budging much.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    i'm just a bit over 5"8 and my daily cal count is 1200 too?

1200 is as low as it goes, if you give it data and a loss rate that results in a target under 1200 you get 1200 as the target. I got this at 5'10" and 185 lbs.
  • Josette152
    Josette152 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Riverside comments.
  • ShoeDeahva
    ShoeDeahva Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slara75
    slara75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I thought when MFP asked to pick your lifestyle.....sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, etc. it wanted to know what you did most of the day. I have an office job so i chose sedentary. That put my cals too low acording to my BMR and TDEE. I do work out 3-5 days a week. So when MFP asks to pick your lifestyle does it want you to include the exercise you plan to do?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Ughhh...you know what, I'm just going to stay close to my BMR and not over-think it.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I went to the Fat 2 Fit Radio website. I entered my current weight and my ultimate goal weight. BMR (using navy body fat%) = 1568. TDEE for Sedentary (I spend 8-10 hours a day sitting) = 1835. I exercise 5-6 days a week for anywhere from 30-75 a day. It varies depending on what I have time to do. My burns and my time spent exercising are not consistent at all, so I don't feel comfortable going with the moderately active number, which is 2370.

I'd also like to lose weight a bit faster. Fat2Fit says I can "eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss" since I am close to my goal. If I set MFP to my sedentary TDEE - 200 + actual calories burned from exercise will I be on the right track?

This would mean I set MFP to 1635 and eat back my exercise calories. I calculate my burns using a Polar FT40.

Thoughts?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I went to the Fat 2 Fit Radio website. I entered my current weight and my ultimate goal weight. BMR (using navy body fat%) = 1568. TDEE for Sedentary (I spend 8-10 hours a day sitting) = 1835. I exercise 5-6 days a week for anywhere from 30-75 a day. It varies depending on what I have time to do. My burns and my time spent exercising are not consistent at all, so I don't feel comfortable going with the moderately active number, which is 2370.

I'd also like to lose weight a bit faster. Fat2Fit says I can "eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss" since I am close to my goal. If I set MFP to my sedentary TDEE - 200 + actual calories burned from exercise will I be on the right track?

This would mean I set MFP to 1635 and eat back my exercise calories. I calculate my burns using a Polar FT40.

Thoughts?

If you use sedentary and then workout, yes, eat them back. Rather than cut another 200 off, I would say just eat back 75% of your exercise calories to account for underestimation on food or overestimation of exercise :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I thought when MFP asked to pick your lifestyle.....sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, etc. it wanted to know what you did most of the day. I have an office job so i chose sedentary. That put my cals too low acording to my BMR and TDEE. I do work out 3-5 days a week. So when MFP asks to pick your lifestyle does it want you to include the exercise you plan to do?

You may have noticed, it's list of activity levels compared to those other sites - have no comments of exercise. You are correct, no workouts included.

MyFitnessPal, I guess, is a pal because it is not holding you to fitness goals. You enter them when you accomplish them. The deficit is already taken off just diet.

Perhaps MyDietPal would be better, since it's great at food logging better than workout logging.

So as many in this thread comment doing - they've made a lifestyle change and will exercise. So they find a TDEE that includes everything, and then take a deficit.

MFP, you find a non-exercise maintenance and take a deficit, and then add on exercise when done.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So when MFP asks to pick your lifestyle does it want you to include the exercise you plan to do?

I think it expects your routine level of activity. If you do something 3 days a week you can add that in as exercise and do what you will with the calorie information.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slara75
    slara75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So with MFP, If I workout 3-5 days and have an office job for 8 hours per day , what should I choose? Should I choose sedentary or the lightly active, or moderate?

You may have noticed, it's list of activity levels compared to those other sites - have no comments of exercise. You are correct, no workouts included.

MyFitnessPal, I guess, is a pal because it is not holding you to fitness goals. You enter them when you accomplish them. The deficit is already taken off just diet.

Perhaps MyDietPal would be better, since it's great at food logging better than workout logging.

So as many in this thread comment doing - they've made a lifestyle change and will exercise. So they find a TDEE that includes everything, and then take a deficit.

MFP, you find a non-exercise maintenance and take a deficit, and then add on exercise when done.
    [/quote]
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So with MFP, If I workout 3-5 days and have an office job for 8 hours per day , what should I choose? Should I choose sedentary or the lightly active, or moderate?

Non-exercise specific daily routine. So sedentary now.

You start walking a dog or kids to the park few days a week, move up to lightly active.

Then log true exercise to feed those workouts and keep the deficit the same safe amount.
  • Carim007
    Carim007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump so i can find later when im on computer. Gotta try these suggestions. Thanks
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says one size doesn't fit all, well it is actually impossible not to lose weight eating between your TDEE and BMR.

True and very well put. But it's also impossible to eat below your BMR and not lose weight, at least according to every scientific study done on the subject. Despite all of the personal experiences provided on MFP (and I do not doubt any of them), in every controlled study (where every calorie in and calorie out was counted through some scientific method), calorie restriction resulted in fat loss.

What is at issue is the statistical significance of "extra" drops in metabolism the further you restrict. For example, if you cut back 500 calories per day you might lose 1 pound per week, but restricting 1000 per day you might only lose 1.7 instead of the expected 2. However, I still haven't seen a study that actually measured the extent of metabolic adaption based on size of restriction. Maybe we should start one :drinker:

How about this one?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19198647
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18198305

Not sure if I read them right, I read it as -

25%+ calorie restriction will result in lowering of RMR, but a smaller calorie restriction combined with exercise doesn't?
  • Cupcake596
    Options
    SO im still confusede.. should i be netting my bmr or just eating bmr?
  • ashlysnd
    ashlysnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree. I thought this site was correct as i've been eating 1200, where can I go to find out my real Cals??

Check out superskinnyme.com. There is a TON of GOOD info on there. I learned so much and feel way better since I increased my calorie intake. Yay for that! Hope it helps :tongue:
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm totally sold on eating way more calories. I consumed 2500 calories yesterday and lost .5 lbs overnight. Crazy, because I've been stuck or gaining a little here and there for the past couple of weeks eating right around my BMR. So yesterday I tracked everything but ate way more than usual. And whoosh! 1/2 lb gone. Nice.