too few calories!

Options
I'm having trouble meeting my calorie intake for the day. I was used to snacking all day, not eating much at all-just not healthy. Since I've started this I've been more focused on eating at mealtimes and having fruit as snacks, but it's still hard to meet my recommended calories and I'm eating more food than I ever have!! Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Pair your fruit with some kind of protein. Or have protein with some other carb for snacks. 1/2 cup of fruit per day is plenty when more will only stuff you with less calories.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    There are loads of higher cal (HEALTHY) foods out there. incorporate those into your diet.

here's a list: milk, cheese, eggs, nuts, peanut butter, fish, avacado, bananas, wheat crackers, whole grain breads, oatmeal
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too and it's getting a lot easier every day.

It's easier for me to drink calories than to eat them. Espescially if you're not used to eating a lot of food, I've found that drinking a nice smoothy works really well.

I made a peanut butter and banana smoothie and it helps me get some calories down. I take 2% milk (or soymilk), 2-3 ice cubes (for texture), 2-4 tbsp peanut butter (all natural kind without added oils) and a big ripe banana. MIx up the 8oz of milk and everything in the blender then drink and enjoy :)

The great thing about this smoothie is that you can really up the peanut butter and get your calories for the day. And on days where you aren't too far behind you can cut back on the pb.
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, however, I added post-workout calories via a liquid and they always help up my calorie intake for the day and help jump start the recovery process after working out.