Audiobooks while you work out?

Options
2»

Replies

• yepitsjen
    yepitsjen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    "Bossypants" IS hilarious.

If you like fun, detective novels (that are somewhat violent), go with Dennis Lehane's Patrick Kenzie series. They can be listened to in any order, but I would start with: "Darkness Take my Hand" and go to "Gone, Baby, Gone."

I have an audible account and share books with my two BFFs. I listen to books on the treadmill and while lifting. It makes it go faster than just music.

I'm listening to the Game of Thrones series now- the actor is amazing.
  • timherrmann
    Options
    I've "read" about 80 audiobooks. You can get a great deal (2 books per month in the form of credits for $20 a month) at Audible.com... I like history, and recently listened to Lincoln's Team of Rivals. For Fantasy/Science Fiction, try Jim Butcher's series. For religous, The Shack....For Horror, Stephen King's The Dome is very good; anything by Koontz is also usually good. I tend to stick with unabridged versions as much as possible. I also listen to classics, like Dracula, Frankenstien, Uncle Tom's Cabin, To Kill a Mockingbird...whatever you like. Nice thing about Audible.com, when you buy the book, it's maintained in a digital library and you can download it to multiple ipods or computers.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I love listening to audiobooks too! Here are my faves of those I've 'read'

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, read by James Marsters (Spike of Buffy fame). Loved reading the books but the Jame's voice really made them come alive.

The Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries by Charlaine Harris, read by Johanna Parker. I tried to read these books but just could not get into them. But Johanna's reading is amazing.

Unlimited by Jillian Michaels, read by Jillian Michaels. I love how she varies from flighty to serious to whimsical with her voice.

Another vote for the Discworld audiobooks. Those read by Stephen Briggs are the best (and get the unabridged versions!)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I love them too - my favorites are:

Flanagan's Run by Tom McNab (great for runners!)
    Time Traveller's wife (love the book, annoyed by the movie)
    Cloudstreet by Tim Winton (it's an Aussie classic!)
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

and just about an yof the stories from ABC (Australia) Life Matters. They are free podcasts and really interesting.
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Audiobooks!! I also love when the reader gives a great performance.

My favorites include:
    Harry Potter - I have to disagree with the other posters because Jim Dale was AMAZING!!!!!!
    The Historian - This is one of my favorites!!
    Hunger Games
    Milliennium Series
    Twilight Series
    The Help
    Inheritance Cycle
    Then Came You
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually listened to them yet, but one of my favourite authors (Tamora Pierce, young adult author though so not everyone's cup of tea :p) had a lot of her audio books done by a company who uses full cast, so each character and the narriator actually has their own voice actor. She even wrote one book specifically to be relieased in full cast audio. Quite excited for when I fiiiiiinally get around to buying them! :)

*high pitched squeal* You're kidding! I LOVE Tamora Pierce. I must look into these. =D
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The BEST audiobooks EVER are David Sedaris' books...because he reads them and he is a total trip. I trained for 3 marathons listening to him and to the first 2 Chelsea Handler audiobooks. Sometimes I would have to stop running because I was laughing so hard that I couldn't breathe and my knees were buckling. :laugh:
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Wanted to bump this for audiobook lovers. I found a new website- podiobooks.com. It has tons of free books, many read by the authors. They are available as podcasts. It's a neat idea so I thought I'd share.
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Jim Dale knocks any book he reads out of the park.
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Tina Fey's Bossypants had me laughing out loud at the gym. People were looking at me like i was crazy.
  • Kitrille
    Kitrille Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    barney stinson's Bro Code :smile:

This was a HILARIOUS book to listen to. Neil Patrick Harris narrating, of course.
  • KelsLovesRando
    Options
    I just started Audible and I love it for driving! I'm going to try it while working out today. I'm almost finished with the I Am Number Four trilogy. They are great audiobooks with an excellent narrator. WAY better than the movie. The Skullduggery Pleasant Series is also wonderful. I'm also going to start "The Host" after I finish "The Rise of Nine" (the last "I Am Number Four" book).
  • GatorGirl0890
    GatorGirl0890 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you like biographies, I really liked Rob Lowe's audiobook. He reads it, and it's pretty interesting. He totally glosses over the sex scandal, but still a good read.

I'm less impressed with Steven Tyler's audiobook. He goes off on these weird, random tangents. The whole thing is extremely disjointed. It's like being on an acid trip in his head.