Sweat suits?

Options
Hi, I was wondering how others feel about sweat suits or sauna suits (i guess), are they truly helpful when trying to lose weight or pointless? What's everyones opinion I'm thinking about getting one.

Replies

• clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The outfit just to make you sweat. I myself wouldn't invest in one as the idea of sweat is the body's cooling mechanism. The only thing you lose when sweating is salt, electrolytes and water. If you lose weight quickly from a suit like that, when you drink water, the weight is right back. Best just to sweat from a good workout.:happy:
  • flipflapper
    Options
    Hmmmm, there are so many bad comments about sweat suits, but most of them are based on the past and people using them badly. I've been doing a bit of research myself and it looks to me that some manufacturers are looking much more into the science behind it now. There is (it seems) a school of thought that says that, long term, a sweat suit can help you body to acclimatize to working out a a higher rate and that once you hit a certain level, you burn calories from different fat stores. Probably an idea to check out the research yourself. I'm in the UK so started in the most obvious place for me which was www.sweatsuits.co.uk
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, there are so many bad comments about sweat suits, but most of them are based on the past and people using them badly. I've been doing a bit of research myself and it looks to me that some manufacturers are looking much more into the science behind it now. There is (it seems) a school of thought that says that, long term, a sweat suit can help you body to acclimatize to working out a a higher rate and that once you hit a certain level, you burn calories from different fat stores. Probably an idea to check out the research yourself. I'm in the UK so started in the most obvious place for me which was www.sweatsuits.co.uk
    So, you'd recommend reading the spammy websites of companies selling the suits rather than looking for actual scientific research? And you've just signed up here and your first post recommends that one website in particular? Interesting...

OP - I've never heard they do anything except make you lose water weight. I wouldn't waste my money on it if I were you. Healthy diet, exercise, patience... that's all you really need.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Sweat suits are for lounging privately in your home or to wear on your way to a workout (to be removed during workout) and then maybe after your workout on your way back home.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Sweat suits are for lounging privately in your home or to wear on your way to a workout (to be removed during workout) and then maybe after your workout on your way back home.
    That's what I see a sweatsuit as.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    nope.
    not beneficial.

you can sweat out some water weight, but that's just dehydrating yourself. then you gain the weight back when you drink.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Will do no good and can actually impair your workout effectiveness. We can't do much about sweatsuits at our club, since we keep things cool and some people actually feel more comfortable w/some extra clothes, but wearing a plastic or rubber suit will get you kicked out. I have enough to do without having to worry about calling 911 for someone's dumb *kitten*.