Goal weight. Celebrate or mourn?

Odd thing.

I got to my goal weight. I should be happy, right?

So why do i now feel empty inside, and no joy over it?

It's almost like it was a game I've been playing for the last year, whatever else was going wrong in my life, that scale kept going down, giving me weekly boosts. Now....its gone. The one thing i was actually getting right has now been finished.

Is this normal?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Yeah, it's classic. I've had it with every big thing I've ever worked for. For instance, when I got my phd it was like 'oh, right. is that it then? What will I do now?'. I'd expected it to feel different, but it didn't. It just felt like me, with an extra bit of paper.

I think getting to goal feels the same. We work so hard, focus so hard on 'getting there', that we expect 'there' to be something more, somehow, than it really is.

My friends who have been significantly overweight and reach goal all suggest that that's the point where the hard work really starts. That you're no longer working *for* something, you're keeping something going. You're there. But there doesn't stop.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I think now is a good time to make a new game for yourself: maintenance with fitness goals. Start working toward a new goal and make it a goal to maintain your weight within a 10 lb range of goal.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Do you lift weights? That's an area where you can always be improving and working towards new goals.

I kinda know what you mean, but at the same time, it's a really good problem to have, right?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    What Lemon said. New goal. I hit mine too and it's weird. I'm just now starting to not weigh myself every day. I have maintenance calories, how do I not abuse those? Weird.

Here's what you do. Challenge yourself. I've got a Warrior Dash coming up next month. I've never done anything like that in my life. A month or two after that I'm taking the city fire fighter physical test (hopefully if I've passed the written exam). I'm going to be climbing cargo nets, jumping over fire, swinging a sledgehammer against a steel beam....

I have turned my life into a video game. And I couldn't be happier.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    I went passed mine and didn't even notice.............
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    I was happy when I hit my goal weight, but I wasn't satisifed. So I exchanged worrying about the scale number to intense toning and my body shape is still changing in wonderful ways. That keeps me celebrating.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Time to find a fitness goal :)
    Congrats on being AWESOME!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    It is a bit of an anti-climax, as mentioned above give yourself new goals to focus on, be it weight lifting or other sporting events that you enjoy, now that you're fitter try out some new sports?