Anyone ever had a pulled hamstring?

Options
So I am pretty certain I pulled my hamstring? What can I do for a pulled hamstring? I typically run, bike, or do the elliptical for exercise. I know I need to take it easy but to what extent? Can I swim? Can I walk leisurely for long distances? Thanks.

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It depends on how bad the pull is. I pulled mine fairly severely about three months ago, and I did a lot of work in the pool to help ease it. Walking laps in the pool is a good exercise (running if your legs can take it). Swimming is good. If you hurt with kicking, then just hold your legs tight and pull them to the surface of the water using your arms only to propel you forward (freestyle). You can also use a pull buoy if you have one available. It's a very good workout on your arms and good cardio too but doesn't put any pressure on the muscles in the legs other than to stabilize them in the water.

If you start to feel a sharp pain or see severe bruising, stop and take it easy.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    nope, but i pulled my groin once.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    So I am pretty certain I pulled my hamstring? What can I do for a pulled hamstring? I typically run, bike, or do the elliptical for exercise. I know I need to take it easy but to what extent? Can I swim? Can I walk leisurely for long distances? Thanks.

I have no idea, probably just rest. I've done the left and right side each twice and I couldn't do much of anything after that. The first time took about 3-months before I could do lower body work again. Ease into it and judge for yourself.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Not a lot you can do but rest that sucker.

The thing that really sucks is that you're likely to end up with some back pain or injury to your other hamstring because you'll be compensating for the injured one.