Dear driver who passed me today

Options

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I always get annoyed by people who ride bikes.. Mainly because as another posted stated, they can't follow the rules.

We don't have bike lanes where I live in Illinois.. so that means you are weaving in and out of traffic in front of my car.. and if I need to stop suddenly and you get hit, well then it's not my fault. There are sidewalks for a reason.. Stay on them!

Would I ever honk, speed off and flip you the bird? No.. thats just uncalled for.

Oh, the irony. Bicycles aren't supposed to be on the sidewalk; THAT is against the rules. Cycles are vehicles, and they are supposed to be in the same lanes of traffic as your car.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I was of the SAME mindset as a lot of those who don't ride bikes..... annoying, don't stop at red lights, slow, not over on the edge enough.... until I started cycling a lot. Here is why we do those things:

Don't stop at a red light: Mainly because it takes A LOT of momentum to get going again, ESPECIALLY if we are on a hill. Legs DO get tired stopping and starting all of the time.

Not getting over far enough: In improperly maintained roadways, it is crucial to move away from drain grates, potholes, manhole covers, glass, etc. that is on the side of the road. You can flip over the handlebars or otherwise wreck yourself pretty badly if you should happen to hit a pothole wrong.

Riding the white line on "faster" roads: Rumble strips! If they rattle your car, think about what it does to a cyclist! Holy vibrations! And not in a good way!

Riding slowly: well, nothing I can say here other than... our vehicle is powered by two legs.

Riding two abreast: If there is enough room or two lanes I will ride two abreast, but we generally try to drop down to single file if we hear the car coming.... otherwise we just MAY NOT HEAR YOU! It's not that we're being jerks! Windy days are especially tough to hear cars coming behind us.

This is coming from a girl who drives a big SUV, and has been guilty of honking at slow cyclists in the past. Needless to say I'm reformed..... :flowerforyou:

Don't stop at a red light: Mainly because it takes A LOT of momentum to get going again, ESPECIALLY if we are on a hill. Legs DO get tired stopping and starting all of the time. -

That doesn't matter. You do have to obey posted signage, including stop lights and signs, or you are breaking the traffic laws. If you can't handle stopping and starting, don't ride a bike.

Riding two abreast: If there is enough room or two lanes I will ride two abreast, but we generally try to drop down to single file if we hear the car coming.... otherwise we just MAY NOT HEAR YOU! It's not that we're being jerks! Windy days are especially tough to hear cars coming behind us.

Strictly speaking, this is also illegal, but motorcycles do it too. You can be ticketed if a cop decides to enforce that particular law.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    ...YOU may not like bikes on the road, but those of us on bikes have EVERY right to the roadway that you have. We pay the same taxes, but our miles on the bike don't do the damage to the roads that cars do.

So, yeah...we DO, in fact, "own the road."

How much gas are you putting in your bicycle? None? Then how are you paying the same taxes as someone who puts gas in their car?

I have no disagreement with the "same rights" statement but folks who don't buy gas don't pay the same taxes as those who do.

Ahh in the UK, all taxpayers contribute to the roads, whether they have a vehicle or not, this includes cyclists.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

A lot of "bike paths" are not appropriate for those of us hauling at 20mph or faster. People mill about wearing headphones and oblivious to what's coming up behind them, kids weave back and forth slowly on bikes (rarely wearing helmets), people walking dogs with leashes that cross the entire path...these are all serious hazards when fast-moving bikes are added to the mix.

YOU may not like bikes on the road, but those of us on bikes have EVERY right to the roadway that you have. We pay the same taxes, but our miles on the bike don't do the damage to the roads that cars do.

A lot of "roads" are not appropriate for those of us hauling at 50mph or faster, especially when people on bikes think they are not in the way when traveling 30mph under the speed limit.

So what do you think of farm traffic? Or Amish? Do you project the same ire at them that you do at cyclists? Or do you admit to your own double-standards? 'Cause I can guarantee that I am a helluvalot easier to get around than a tractor or a buggy.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

A lot of "bike paths" are not appropriate for those of us hauling at 20mph or faster. People mill about wearing headphones and oblivious to what's coming up behind them, kids weave back and forth slowly on bikes (rarely wearing helmets), people walking dogs with leashes that cross the entire path...these are all serious hazards when fast-moving bikes are added to the mix.

YOU may not like bikes on the road, but those of us on bikes have EVERY right to the roadway that you have. We pay the same taxes, but our miles on the bike don't do the damage to the roads that cars do.

A lot of "roads" are not appropriate for those of us hauling at 50mph or faster, especially when people on bikes think they are not in the way when traveling 30mph under the speed limit.
    Ahh I will try to pedal faster next time I am cycling on the road, I will try to go like the clappers at over 50mph ;)
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I can make all the silly arguments I want. Facts will never stand in my way.

Around here there are a lot of bicyclists who scream that they have all the same rights as car drivers but they don't follow the laws. That gets annoying. I don't have any hatred toward them though. I used to do a good amount of bike riding years ago when I lived in town.

In reality I would love to be able to ride a bicycle to work but I would be killed on the rural road from my house to the highway and it's a 20 mile trip each way. I don't even own a bicycle right now as I can't ride safely around where I live.

And when was the last time that everyone driving a car followed all the rules / laws? Oh, that's right - NEVER!
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Cyclists in my town can be a big pain in the butt......There are bike paths but there are some who won't use them.....Most think they own the road.....:grumble:

so you feel it is safer to be on a road where cars are going 50 mph or faster??
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    ...YOU may not like bikes on the road, but those of us on bikes have EVERY right to the roadway that you have. We pay the same taxes, but our miles on the bike don't do the damage to the roads that cars do.

How much gas are you putting in your bicycle? None? Then how are you paying the same taxes as someone who puts gas in their car?

I have no disagreement with the "same rights" statement but folks who don't buy gas don't pay the same taxes as those who do.

Ahh in the UK, all taxpayers contribute to the roads, whether they have a vehicle or not, this includes cyclists.

Except people that drive cars pay an additional road tax. Carefully ignored there, I see.

I would have no problem with cyclists if the majority of them weren't asshats with no respect for the rules of the road.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Amen! I was at a 4-way stop 1.5 miles from my house on Monday evening (wearing a neon green vest so I know I was visible)...I stopped, signaled, etc... When I was halfway into the intersection some jack*ss rolled thru it and nearly struck me. My only option was to jerk my handlebars away which resulted in a one-woman crash. While I was clipped in, in the middle of an intersection. My foot is now jacked up (since I was clipped in, it seems to have twisted in an odd position), part of one pedal actually snapped off (I have clips on one side, pedal on the other...the pedal part broke), and a have a bruise the size of Oklahoma on my hip where I hit the ground. So damn frusturating!

So I limped my bike to the side of the road, fixed what I could, and carried on with a short 7 miler.

I teach part-time in the town I live in, so the next day the kids got to hear all about my bicycling adventure and the rules of the road. I'm just thankful none of them actually saw me dragging my sorry butt to the side of the road!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    why are you supposed to ride with the flow of traffic? i hardly ever ride a bike but when i do it seems like it would be safer facing traffic so that you can see if a car is swerving or riding close to the side of the road.
  • zoom2
    Options
    Cyclists in my town can be a big pain in the butt......There are bike paths but there are some who won't use them.....Most think they own the road.....:grumble:

so you feel it is safer to be on a road where cars are going 50 mph or faster??

Yes. People pull their cars out of their driveways and onto the sidewalk all. the. time. People walk on the sidewalk completely oblivious to what's around them...headphones, texting, etc. Dogs are not properly restrained, etc.
  • jgwhite
    jgwhite Posts: 23
    Options
    Speaking as a regular bike commuter (who also owns cars) most of the problem is on the side of the drivers. Those cyclists who ride irresponsibly are idiots and a deserve to be honked at , flipped off, whatever.

However, riding on the road, as close to the shoulder as reasonable (except when turning) does not make me an reckless cyclist who is blocking your way.

I would gladly use bike paths if they were available, but they're not. As it is I gotta ride on (mostly) county and town roads (which I do pay for in my taxes) . All I'd like to do is make it through a week without some bone headed, texting doofus trying to kill me. Just a fair shake on the road is all (most of us) as asking for.
  • zoom2
    Options

Except people that drive cars pay an additional road tax. Carefully ignored there, I see.

I would have no problem with cyclists if the majority of them weren't asshats with no respect for the rules of the road.

So you know the majority of cyclists? Funny, because I'm an avid cyclist and I can't claim that.

Also, I do own a car and pay the same taxes. I know of not a single cyclist who doesn't also own a car.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options

In texas they tax us through liscensing for our cars. I know I pay an arm and a bundled for it. So if anyone owns a car (even if they have a bike they ride constantly) then they have paid taxes for the roads to repair them and to repair bridges.

IN all areas we need to RESPECT everyone, pedestrians, bicyclists, other motorists. IT has nothing to do with owning the road and everything to do with having respect for other people and making sure that you dont hit them. DID You know that if you hit a bicyclists with your car (in texas) you could face prison time! Why? because you were in control of a moving vehicle and it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you do not hit anything with it. The main thing is Cyclist whether it is bicycles motorcycles or Uni cycles do have a right to be on the road just like motorists and pedestrians.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

So you know the majority of cyclists? Funny, because I'm an avid cyclist and I can't claim that.

Also, I do own a car and pay the same taxes. I know of not a single cyclist who doesn't also own a car.
    The majority of cyclists I encounter, then, sheesh. I don't care that much about the taxes but was just adding a carefully avoided fact into the conversation.
  • zoom2
    Options
    why are you supposed to ride with the flow of traffic? i hardly ever ride a bike but when i do it seems like it would be safer facing traffic so that you can see if a car is swerving or riding close to the side of the road.

When you are in a car and making a right turn, which direction you look? You look left. If I were on my bike and cruising along facing traffic and approached your intersection from the cross street there is a high probability that you would not see me and I would be unable to stop if you suddenly pulled-out. A high number of car/bike accidents involve people riding on the wrong side of the road and not being able to stop when a car pulls out in front of them. And also people on sidewalks and public paths that cross driveways.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I always get annoyed by people who ride bikes.. Mainly because as another posted stated, they can't follow the rules.

We don't have bike lanes where I live in Illinois.. so that means you are weaving in and out of traffic in front of my car.. and if I need to stop suddenly and you get hit, well then it's not my fault. There are sidewalks for a reason.. Stay on them!

Would I ever honk, speed off and flip you the bird? No.. thats just uncalled for.

Ditto to this...here you are not allowed to ride on the sidewalks. Some of the cyclists around here do not follow the road rules because there were so many problems with this we built bike paths. Well I dont know why we spent thousands of dollars to insure the safety of both the cyclist and the auto driver because cyclist are still using the road instead. They are still not following the road rules. And you know what burns my butt most...THEY WONT LET ME DRIVE MY CAR ON THE BIKE PATH!!!

All that being said...I am glad to share the road with any vehicle who follows the rules.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just get along? Let's talk about something non-controversial . . . like the death penalty.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to be rude... just have an honest question and suggestion...

The question... why is it a driver who is traveling at a speed that impedes traffic can be ticketed because it is unsafe, but a bike rider can impede traffic without consequence? I know, for a fact, that you can be ticketed for driving too slow for the conditions in some areas because it can actually be just as dangerous as driving too fast (grew up in a family of cops). So, why can bikers hold up the flow of traffic and not be ticketed?

And the suggestion (at least for some bikers around here)... just be smart WHERE and WHEN you bike. A two lane country road with blind curves and hills where the speed limit is 55 during rush hour may NOT be the smartest place to bike. I drive carefully, slow down for curves and hills, ect... but there needs to be some common sense used by a biker. There isn't even a dang shoulder because we live in the mountains.

*Edit* Yes, I know as a driver we should drive as safely as possible and attempt to avoid accidents with a cyclist. I am just suggesting that there may be roads that should be avoided by a cyclist for the safety of ALL.
  • zoom2
    Options
    The majority of cyclists I encounter, then, sheesh. I don't care that much about the taxes but was just adding a carefully avoided fact into the conversation.

And I'd bet money that you're not even noticing all of the law-abiding cyclists...because they are giving you no reason to notice them. And you probably brush-off the same sort of infractions from other drivers, since you're "on the same team." It's called modal bias.