Too fat to exercise?

Options
124»

Replies

• 61TJ
    61TJ Posts: 15
    Options
    In my view, as long as you do something to keep your muscles working, when you lose weight using your deficit, at least it won't be coming off the muscle. Have you considered "Pump" classes, you would be supervised and encouraged to go at your own pace. I personally like to alternate eg: Monday - spin class, Tuesday - pump class, Wednesday - Elliptical trainer class, Thursday - Pump class, Friday - A stretching or pilates class, and be active or take extra classes on the weekend. You're in a controlled environment this way.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    In my view, as long as you do something to keep your muscles working, when you lose weight using your deficit, at least it won't be coming off the muscle. Have you considered "Pump" classes, you would be supervised and encouraged to go at your own pace. I personally like to alternate eg: Monday - spin class, Tuesday - pump class, Wednesday - Elliptical trainer class, Thursday - Pump class, Friday - A stretching or pilates class, and be active or take extra classes on the weekend. You're in a controlled environment this way.

This isn't what she asked. She wants to lift. Your suggestion is no different than what the trainer did.
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    Ok -- I haven't read all the replies on here so I'm sure I'm saying some of the same things, but here's my take on it: I also belong to Planet Fitness. I started doing the weight machines at first and I've lost about the same amount of weight as you have. That book might say those machines are worthless, but my body could feel the difference. Muscles would be sore. I started with those and now I add in free weights as well. I'll do two sets of 12 on the lat pulldown machine, let's say, and then I'll go to the other lat pulldown and do two sets of 12 on that. I've noticed that I can do 70 lbs of lat pulldown on the machine but only 55 on the pulley machine. I'll do two sets on the tricep pushdown and then use a dumbbell to do, say, a standing tricep extension for two more sets. I figure this mixture of machine and free weights being incorporated little by little is working for me. I think really the issue is movement and doing something other than sitting around. My husband has lost 50 lbs using only an elliptical and diet, so he scoffs when I sometimes use the bicycles at the gym ("oh those are worthless"). That's when I told him that at least I wasn't sitting on the couch watching TV. Mix it up. Move. Exercise isn't just for losing weight. It improves mood. It can be fun especially if you mix it up. Have fun. There are so many ways to do this journey and there is no cookie cutter way to do this.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    To everyone saying "It's good to just do something." This is bull. I am obese. I can lift, I can run, I can sprint while pushing a Prowler, I can drag a sled with a bunch of weight on it.

I am not saying anyone has to do that or that everyone that's obese can do the same, but to try and say it's reasonable for a trainer to say "you're too overweight to do that" and dismiss her goals to strength train with weights is ridiculous.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    To everyone saying "It's good to just do something." This is bull. I am obese. I can lift, I can run, I can sprint while pushing a Prowler, I can drag a sled with a bunch of weight on it.

I am not saying anyone has to do that or that everyone that's obese can do the same, but to try and say it's reasonable for a trainer to say "you're too overweight to do that" and dismiss her goals to strength train with weights is ridiculous.

OMG this too! No one is too fat to lift or work towards a strength goal.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I'm totally picturing you pushing a Plymouth! I googled it, so I know what a prowler is now, but that's not what I thought when I first read it.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

I'm totally picturing you pushing a Plymouth! I googled it, so I know what a prowler is now, but that's not what I thought when I first read it.

Lol! That's what I got when I Googled it at first myself.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    i disagree the book is made to help you in the beginning thats how i started and i am 280 pounds and do stuff in the book.

I am sorry u went through that and i say get a diff trainer that one should be ashamed.
    Doesn't stage 1 include barbell squats, step up, weight lunges, and ab roll ins? Maybe it's me, but when I started exercising, those thing were too advanced for me. I'm also uber protective of my knees. Isn't the point of NROLFW to lift heavy? I've been exercising consistently for over 3 months. I can barely do some of those things unweighted. Then add in HEAVY weights and yeah...for some people NROLFW is a bit advanced.

Anyway, it sounds like the OP can do the beginning plan set up by the PT or find another PT that will lead her in the stuff in the book.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    That trainer is an idiot. Good for you for wanting to do these lifts. I would bet she didn't want to show you these lifts because she doesn't know how to do them. It's a shame that some folks are allowed to be trainers.

Exactly what I was thinking!
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No, never!!! Good on you for going outside of your comfort zone. Your trainer was likely trying to get you transitioned into doing more intense training by starting with those modifications. You know your limits and you know when you can work harder. Push yourself, and let your trainer know when you want to push harder. You're paying him/her and you can always speak up if you want to change the routine.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i disagree the book is made to help you in the beginning thats how i started and i am 280 pounds and do stuff in the book.

I am sorry u went through that and i say get a diff trainer that one should be ashamed.
    Doesn't stage 1 include barbell squats, step up, weight lunges, and ab roll ins? Maybe it's me, but when I started exercising, those thing were too advanced for me. I'm also uber protective of my knees. Isn't the point of NROLFW to lift heavy? I've been exercising consistently for over 3 months. I can barely do some of those things unweighted. Then add in HEAVY weights and yeah...for some people NROLFW is a bit advanced.

Anyway, it sounds like the OP can do the beginning plan set up by the PT or find another PT that will lead her in the stuff in the book.

the term lifting heavy is all relative though. it's not like anyone can pick out a weight and say this is heavy. when someone says "i lift heavy" that generally means "i'm working with a weight that's close to my maximum 1 repitition weight and i'm doing it in the hopes of increasing that 1 rep max weight".

can't do a full body push up on the floor, then start standing against the wall and gradually get lower. can't do a jackknife, then start with reverse crunches. seriously, there's nothing in that program that says you HAVE to do xyz exercise with ABC weight. the point is work on overloading the muscle (whatever that means for YOU and YOUR body) on a consistent basis so that you're consistently building strength.

many women doing NROL4W and other strength programs start off not using any weights for many of the exercises. the book makes it clear that ALL the exercises are modifiable: cant do step ups on a stool of knee height, then step up on a step riser. cant step up with a barbell then use a dumbbell. can't do a lunge with additional weight then dont. cant add additional weight to your squats then do body weight squats until you can.

i have a hard time understanding when people say they are too weak to start a strength training program. that's like saying i'm too hungry to eat. the only way to stop being weak is to strength train. the only way to not be hungry is to eat...
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Get a bodybuilder as a fitness coach. Problem solved.

^^This
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You know what? You need to change gym. You need to ignore this ridiculous individual, and do the things you want to do. I started lifting when I was a *lot* heavier than you are, and I love it, and i'm good at it, and I can do it.

Apart from that, I think it's a mistake to dismiss the circuit training work you have done to date as 'useless'. For me, circuit machines were my entry level machines. I built up on them, grew in confidence, and then moved to the free weights section. Yes, dyed in the wool lifters might want to claim I wasted time. But I don't think I did. I certainly got stronger, and I certainly saw changes in the shape and ability of my body. Was it as effective as free weights? Probably not. But it certainly wasn't ineffective.

You put this stupid trainer and her idiotic ideas behind you, and get on with what you want to do. You'll be absolutely fine when you get some help from someone with half an ounce of understanding of their job.
  • 61TJ
    Options

This isn't what she asked. She wants to lift. Your suggestion is no different than what the trainer did.
  • 61TJ
    Options
    You're right, I, like others just have this idea, that starting to lift before you have done much exercise might be dangerous, I'd like to do it myself but worry how old and fit you must be.
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Nobody is too fat to exercise. I too go to Planet fitness because it is cheap, but it is not really set up for free weights. They do not have bars available to do lungs, there's not enough room.

It is a great place to do some cardio, and they do have some dumbbells that can be used.

I find it's too much like a fish bowl - too many observers, too many mirrors. I have done body building in my BC (before children) years and think that I can make a start on my fitness at PF, but will outgrow it if I want to get into some serious lifting. Don't be discouraged! Make your start and then see what you can find...I kindof like small gyms where people are allowed to grunt...just me!