Do you enter cleaning...

Options
As part of your exercise? ha! cause i just did..well i hoover etc and move about so thats burning cals too right?? ;)

Replies

• princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I sure do! I'm not exactly the queen of clean, so I tend to do it in intense spurts where I'm dripping sweat. There are some here who don't because they considered it when setting their activity level. Still others wear heart rate monitors and track that way. Another factor in my decision is my job; some nights we're dead and sit around, while other nights we're crazy busy and running our tails off. Often, I'll log that as cleaning because I wait tables, and that makes for a lot of cleaning! :bigsmile:
  • trababes1971
    trababes1971 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I sure do! I'm not exactly the queen of clean, so I tend to do it in intense spurts where I'm dripping sweat. There are some here who don't because they considered it when setting their activity level. Still others wear heart rate monitors and track that way. Another factor in my decision is my job; some nights we're dead and sit around, while other nights we're crazy busy and running our tails off. Often, I'll log that as cleaning because I wait tables, and that makes for a lot of cleaning! :bigsmile:

God yeh totally hun, waiting tables is bloody hard work i remember years ago working at a holiday camp and doing it, and some days i was ran ragged lol! ha! i havnt done much cleaning today just a bit of hoovering etc, general pottering about but thought sod it i may aswell enter it :wink: . xxxxxx
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Only if it's something really excessive that I don't normally do and I'm sweating profusely... Cause if I do that, damnit, I DESERVE that chocolate.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Nope. I only log workouts that are meant to be workouts, like jazzercise or a gym sesh. Cleaning cals make me feel guilty and undeserving.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 pounds after a colon cleaning, and I certainly logged it!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

ALWAYS log things that involve a turkey baster. It's actually an MFP guideline, I'm sure of it.
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    No. But I do log shopping as a 2mph walk.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If it's a hard cleaning and I'm sweating, yes.
  • trababes1971
    trababes1971 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

ALWAYS log things that involve a turkey baster. It's actually an MFP guideline, I'm sure of it.

pmsl!! xxxxx:laugh:
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I only clean every two weeks or so, but when I do, it's hard work and I'm soaking wet by the time I'm done, so yes, I do log it.
  • ElizmaKnowles
    Options
    I log everything I do - even used a stopwatch to see how long it takes to walk from our flat to the bus stop so that I can log it :-) So now I log those minutes of walking as a standard every day as I do it twice. I log cleaning too but not food prep and the like.
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You bet your sweet A I do. I wear my HRM all day long, and when I'm cleaning, I check it often. If I'm at 60% capacity or above, I log that mofo. All forward motion counts.
  • Arestoktra
    Options
    I do it once a week and it takes nearly an hour with lots of sit up like moves and I sweat. So I include it of course! :ohwell:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I put myself down as "sedentary" so I log all sorts of wimpy excuses for exercise - cleaning, walking to the shops to get something, little bits of gardening, shopping (which I also log as "slow walking"). They all add up to a bit more food to have - a yoghurt after dinner for instance
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    no because i'm a chef and thats part of my job, i set my exercise level for that, you can't log things you do every day unless your set to sedentary otherwise your just adding calories to eat which you technically haven't earn't. Sorry this annoys me sometimes, obviously if its tough cleaning then yes of course but dusting, really!!
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I even wear my HRM - it makes the morning clean up after the "kids" (16 and 18) have "used" the kitchen feel worth it somehow!
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM during cleaning I also add leg weights and do "power bursts" while cleaning like squats and going up and down on one step just like you would do at the gym! I usually burn 500-600 calories an hour doing this so I count it.
  • nellybutler
    Options
    I have never logged cleaning activities,but i certainly will from now on.Thanks guys!!!.
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    no because i'm a chef and thats part of my job, i set my exercise level for that, you can't log things you do every day unless your set to sedentary otherwise your just adding calories to eat which you technically haven't earn't. Sorry this annoys me sometimes, obviously if its tough cleaning then yes of course but dusting, really!!

I set my activity level as lightly active because the restaurant where I work is seasonal, and this is our weird in-between season. Come summertime when we're insanely busy, I'll bump it up to active (which is mfp's suggestion for waitresses). Being in the kitchen is a whole other animal...lol. It's all about finding what works for you and then tweaking it.

And if I ever dusted, I wouldn't have to clean as hard. Yeah, that's my excuse. :laugh:
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    keep in mind that you burn calories doing absolutely nothing. So you need to subtract those calories from your "burn" of cleaning. You'll come to find out that you didn't burn anything and then ate back calories you shouldn't have. Don't bother unless its hard core cleaning out the garage or scrubbing the floors