Pizza can be healthy!

Options
Onesnap
Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
We make our own pizza a lot at home. We have a pizza stone.

Guess what, you buy the dough (whole wheat or herb dough--very cheap) and select your toppings.

Trader Joe's even has a fat free pizza sauce!

Pizza, 300 calories or less:

http://www.prevention.com/food/cook/homemade-pizza-healthy-recipes-300-calories-or-less

ENJOY!

Replies

• prettytothinkso
    Options
    Great link! Thank you.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Great link! Thank you.

You're welcome! I just see a lot of folks say they love pizza but can't have it anymore. I'm like no, you can!
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :)
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I made a pizza with a cauliflour crust, and it was AMAZING! Even my 7 year old loved it!!
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! :)
  • doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    does it taste like delivery? because i'm thinking it tastes fresher, like fresh pineapple vs. canned pineapple? i worked at a papa johns for almost 3 years and i could've made a pizza that was actually good for you if more of the ingredient's were pure/home made.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I made a pizza with a cauliflour crust, and it was AMAZING! Even my 7 year old loved it!!

I haven't quite perfected that yet unfortunately, what recipe do you use?
    We often have homemade pizza as our saturday night treat meal though, and sometimes I have a sauerkraut, spring onion and bacon pizza on a tortilla or similar during the week, fits easily into my calories.
  • Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    healthy is relative.
  • upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    excellent! I have read about a lot of recipes that use ricotta and I'm not really a fan of it.. could use something else..any suggestions?
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's even has a fat free pizza sauce!

This is why the misguided and incorrect "No Fat" craze continues. Why should a food which should be comprised of little else but tomatoes, salt, and herbs have any fat in it at all? The only fat should/would be olive oil if you choose to add it and even then, that would be a good fat to have. Fat is not the enemy. Eating too much food in general is.

Think critically about what you're eating and don't buy into the marketing and outdated nutritional fads from two decades ago. Red Vines also advertise themselves as having no fat, so eat a whole bucket, right?

That said, pizza can be very healthy if you take the proper steps. The only reason why it's lumped in with junk food is because 90% of pizza consumed is delivery and they make no effort or pretense at making their product healthy; just desirable; so they load it up with sodium, sugar, and undesirable fat which kicks the total calorie load to the stratosphere. A pie I make at home will have only a couple hundred calories a slice and that is with no funky business in the crust and pepperoni on top.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When I eat pizza, I eat pizza and lots of it.
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options

I haven't quite perfected that yet unfortunately, what recipe do you use?
    We often have homemade pizza as our saturday night treat meal though, and sometimes I have a sauerkraut, spring onion and bacon pizza on a tortilla or similar during the week, fits easily into my calories.

I can't remember where I got the recipe, but I "riced" an entire head of cauliflower (sorry for the misspelling in my original response!!), then microwaved it for 8 minutes (don't add water, it steams itself). I then added 2 eggs (or 2 eggs' worth of egg substitute), about a cup of low-fat mozz. cheese, some salt, onion powder, and garlic powder and mixed it all up. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam, press the dough into a circle, and bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 min. That made 2 pizza crusts, but I prefer to make them thinner and make 3 crusts out of it. I puree a tomato to use as sauce (adding basil, oregano, garlic, onion, etc), then just throw on whatever toppings you want! Super delish. My son actually pulls off the toppings and eats just the crust, but since it's all veggies, I don't care. :)