Now I learned what BMR is

I found I only can safely lose 1 lb every 10 days or so. Patient, patient, patient...

Replies

• BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    you can lose whatever you want, but a pound a week is a good place to start.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member

This is true. A pound or two a week is safe to lose, any more than that and you can encounter some health issues
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,308 Member

This is true. A pound or two a week is safe to lose, any more than that and you can encounter some health issues

That depends on how much you need to lose. With your 30-ish pounds to lose, yes, no more than 1 pound a week. People who are quite heavy can afford a larger calorie deficit.

The original poster has less than 10 pounds to lose. She should be at no more than 1/2 pound per week. And even then, it's going to be a tough battle. (I'm assuming you really need to lose that much to be in a healthy weight range.)

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

Its partly true. A person who only has 20 lbs to lose cant lose 2 lbs a week. Not only will your body fight you, its highly likely the weight lost will be muscle mass and not fat. This is why its suggested to lose 1/2 lb per week for those with twenty lbs to lose.

^beat me to it lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,308 Member
    :wink: I just had some coffee, psulemon. I'm speed typing ....
  • BigRich822

Its partly true. A person who only has 20 lbs to lose cant lose 2 lbs a week. Not only will your body fight you, its highly likely the weight lost will be muscle mass and not fat. This is why its suggested to lose 1/2 lb per week for those with twenty lbs to lose.

^beat me to it lol

Agree it would be some muscle that would be lost, but it can be done so what part of what i said is partly true?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

^beat me to it lol

I was referencing the person that responded to you.

Agree it would be some muscle that would be lost, but it can be done so what part of what i said is partly true?
  • BigRich822
    OK