How do I build up my heart?

Options
I guess that's the best way to put it..

first, HI! I lost a bunch of weight (I can fit into some mediums now.. ooh.. plus some pairs of my old jeans!).

I did most of that with crew. Now it's over, and I am on my own. I've been doing running, which I suck at. But I do it anyways, because running is free, and the gym is not. And I've been improving a lot, and so today I was really running and going and feeling great, and I came up to this enourmous steep hill and a good song started playing and I just practically (half danced half) sprinted up the hill, and my muscles were feeling great (like they could run up mount everest) but my heart was practically beating out of my chest and it almost hurt. I assume that's jsut because my heart muscles are weak.

So, pointed question being, what are good heart building exersizes?

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have the opposite problem. I can't get my heart rate up too much these days because my muscles wont let me, hehe.

I'm guessing some interval running might help you with your issue.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Cardio... like running... :laugh:

Just run slower at first and your heart rate won't go up so high and later you can run faster and it still won't go up so high because you'll be fitter.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    What you're doing is good. Just keep changing your intensity. Instead of steady pace on a flat plane, run uphill, downhill, faster pace and so on. Your heart will get used to it and start taking deeper pumps.
  • jdp21
    jdp21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think this is actually similar to the problem I'm having... and unfortunately I'm no expert! But if it is the same issue I'm having, I've always been told by runners that -- as someone said earlier -- intervals are the best! Like for example, I would walk from the distance of one lamp post to another, then jog, then spring, then walk, jog, sprint, rinse and repeat. I was told it was a great way to build up endurance.

Unfortunately my patience for it sucks so after a while I just start running anyway! Haha.