How late is too late? (Eating at night)

Options
I know that the general rule is that it doesn't matter what time of day you eat, but...
My schedule tonight only allows me to snack an hour or less before bed. I feel like this is too late in the evening. I mean, I can understand snacking at 10pm or 11, but by the time I get home it will be 12:30. Is this still okay?

BTW I think my snack is going to be oatmeal, mmmm. Thoughts?

Replies

• HaleighSavanah
    Options
    no later than 7!
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    There is no such thing as too late. Eat when you feel like it, your body doesn't care one way or another.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry and have the calories left then eat at that time. Your body does not know the difference in the time of day!! If I had to go by that time I would never get to eat! I work night shifts and thus I eat all night when I am working.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I eat in bed. It's fine.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    no later than 7!

Why?
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    no later than 7

+
    There is no such thing as too late. Eat when you feel like it, your body doesn't care one way or another.

Can we reconcile these please? Does it matter if I eat late? If so, does it matter what I eat when I eat late?

Sean
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My thought is this. During the day I move around. Do stuff. So, if I eat, some of the eat gets used.

If I eat then go to bed for 8 hours, then I do not move around and stuff is not done. All of what I eat remains unused. Perhaps this food becomes ... fat.

Please reply to discuss my thoughts.

Cheers,

Sean
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I don't like to eat past about 8.30/9pm. But I don't think there's any rule that says you *can't* eat at any given time of the day or night.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    no later than 7

+

Can we reconcile these please? Does it matter if I eat late? If so, does it matter what I eat when I eat late?

Sean

No does not matter when you eat. As for what you eat, that depends on your macro goals, and nothing else.

My thought is this. During the day I move around. Do stuff. So, if I eat, some of the eat gets used.

If I eat then go to bed for 8 hours, then I do not move around and stuff is not done. All of what I eat remains unused. Perhaps this food becomes ... fat.

I get where you're coming from. But your metabolism keeps going around the clock. In a given day, say you burn 2600 calories, total, including wake and sleep time. If you eat 2100 calories total, then your deficit was 500. Maintain a deficit, and over time you lose weight. Simple as that :)
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    No such thing as to late.. as long as your within your calories.. Im a shift worker and I eat at all hours :)
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Cheers,

Sean

You still "do stuff" while you sleep. Your body doesn't shut down, and still requires calories to function, even if you are just laying there.
  • dixiecup19
    dixiecup19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would say it's fine to eat at anytime. I only get home from work at 1230 and I plan on eating then, obviously something healthy but I'm still gonna eat since I know I will be hungry. I feel like eating at night keeps your metabolism up longer since your body doesn't go into rest mode right away.

Idk that's just my opinion but if I don't eat when I get home from work I feel so sick in the mornings.
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    I eat an hour before bed if I'm hungry and have calories left.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body. I can't eat within four hours of going to bed or I get acid reflux. Many people find it difficult to fall asleep if they are digesting a meal (I burn more calories if I get eight hours of sleep as opposed to the nights when I wake several times). Some people are not bothered by eating and then going to bed. You have to figure out what you need. How eating effects your digestion and sleep. I also prefer to wake up hungry because it reminds me to eat breakfast and several studies have proven that eating breakfast before you have been up for an hour helps kick start your metabolism and increases weight loss.
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist and I had this talk...after so many years of people pounding in my head that I need to eat before 1800-1900 daily....turns out it was a myth. She said if your body is hungry and you have calories left then eat. Just to make sure you eat 2 hrs prior to going to bed.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If I am really hungry near bedtime, I eat a light snack .. Maybe a jello or even a snack bar... It is better than staying up half the night wishing I could go to sleep... I do keep it light if it is really late. Balance in all things.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i eat when im hungry no matter what time it is...and so far it hasnt hurt me. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You should be fine. If you need a little late-evening snack and it fits your cals, do it. I do this periodically also on days I get home late.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    if you actually look it up you do burn calories n your sleep...not like a whole lot but calories r being used. i honestly have a late night every night and either eat oatmeal to fill me or just a protein drink with a muffin or bagel. it is ur preference when to eat. just make the right choice on what to eat. u will be fine.
  • Shirvona
    Shirvona Posts: 43 Member
    Options

If this is the way you feel then maybe try going for a walk after you eat for 15 to 20min. I personal usually go to bed around midnight and eat supper at about 10:30, but after I eat I usually do something like walk the dog or climb up and down my stairs while a show is playing (how ever long the show is, is how long I climb my stairs).