Carbs & Protein-I am so confused

Options
Its my 2nd consistent week on MFP...I am trying to lose 30lbs. I've hired a trainer and try to work out 3x a week.

I am junk and fast food junkie. I am committed, however, to changing my lifestyle. My problem is I get all confused with how to read the nutrtition labels. My trainer told me I should eat 30g of protein per meal and have 360 of good carbs per day.

How is this possible? I thought carbs were bad for you. He says veggies count toward my carb intake but my food diary shows low carb counts under veggies. He tried to explain it but he was talking in circles. Any tips carb and protein intake?

Replies

• chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    For losing weight, ideally you want low carb, high protein, moderate fat. Carbs you want complex carbs like real oatmeal, fruits with fiber (not juices!!!), etc. Protein via lean meats (white meats, fish, soy, etc). Fats you want poly and mono -unsaturated. Some saturated is needed, but moderate it! 0 trans fat!!!!!!

Okay now as far as figuring out what you need:
    Take your calorie goal for weigh loss, for instance mine is 1600 calories a day.
    I go 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat.

So 50% * 1600 = 800 calories from carbs
    30% * 1600 = 480 calories from protein
    20% * 1600 = 320 calories from fat

Now to convert calories to grams.

Protein & Carbs = 4 kilocalories per gram
    Fat = 9 kilocalories per gram (**note: kilocalorie = calorie on food label)

So take 800 / 4 = 200 grams of carbs
    Take 480 / 4 = 120 grams of protein
    Take 320 / 9 = ~36 grams of fat

Just go off of food labels for serving size to figure out what your eating in grams,.

And as far as carbs being bad, Sucrose (table/cane sugar) and High fructose corn syrup are the ultimate *bad* carbs. Fructose (which is within the aforementioned sugars) is essentially a poison to the body that research is beginning to show evidence that it is the core cause behind a lot of heart disease, vascular disease, and obesity. Therefore avoid sucrose/fructose containing enriched or empty caloric foods (soda, juice concentrate, etc... just look at food label ingredients and keep an eye out for "corn syrup" "HFCS" "sucrose" and "high fructose corn syrup")
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Veggies are very low in carbs. If you want to eat more healthy carbs eat fruit and whole grains, like oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, whole grain breads. Carbs are good for you! Just not the junk food kinds...like sugar or white flour. Choose whole grains and less processed foods and you'll do great! Good luck!
  • mcneil1908
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. These tips are very helpful...especially that formula. I am working on mine now!