Turkey breast???

Options
I had 4 ounces of turkey breast yesterday, and when I logged it in the system, it came up over 1,100 mg of sodium. Is this true? That seems very high to me, being almost 10 mg to every calorie.

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Wow it really depend on rather you ate it with or without skin. Im not an expert but I do know that the skin on any meat carries the most sodium and fat.. Idk just a thought
  • kimdr
    kimdr Posts: 12
    Options
    They could be referring to actual turkey "Lunchmeat". Is that what you had?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm having a very hard time finding turkey, presliced, that has low sodium. I'm thinking about buying a turkey, cooking it, giving away the dark parts to neighbors and slicing it myself. Plus then I know what I'm eating- TURKEY lol

A lot of sliced meats have added sodium- it truly is shocking how much junk is added to our food to 'improve' it.
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. This was a plain Jenni-O turkey breast, sliced at the deli. No skin included. It was actually higher than Oscar Meyer lunch meat slices.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    I think Hormel has a line of preservative-free turkey slices that are lower in sodium. I've had the roast beef and it was good, not sure if I've seen the turkey ones or not.

Hope someone can chime in and enlighten us lol
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Hey gemiwing how buying just a turkey breast and cooking it. I do this for my family quite often as a whole turkey is too much and we all prefer white meat anyway.
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    Hi TCASMEY,
    That seems to be the problem. I just entered roasted turkey breast, and the 284 mg sodium per ounce is what came up. Chicken breast is no where near this, and that confuses me.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the general rule is-

the more man touches our food the more he screws it up

with lunch meat, turkey, etc...not only do we have him cook it, we have him slice it and package it for us....the rotten bastaaaad ALWAYS adds 46 times too much sodium.....it preserves it and makes it taste better.....

the idea to cook your own turkey is a great idea.....
    there are a few low sodium sliced meats out there but they hide em on us for some reason
    you really have to look for em...I eat some...but generally only when I have to

it is tough to eat clean and smart but it is worth it
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    sounds right to me. my rule? avoid lunchmeats at all costs. Cook your own bird and thin slice it. You can freeze it in portions and unfreeze as you need it. It saves you sodium and probably a fair bit of money as well. It also tastes better.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    When in doubt, I always cross-reference with this site -> http://www.nutritiondata.com or just type in a google search box "nutritional information for turkey breast" or whatever you're looking up. Good luck! :smile:
  • gemiwing
    Options
    I checked on the whole turkey breasts at my Kroger and they *still* had a lot of sodium. I'm going to try out Whole Foods and see what they have to offer. Why is the good food so much more costly? :grumble: