Ironing

Options
Does anybody else iron the clothes - what calories would it use?

Replies

• ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Ironing...should not be logged.
  • traceyjolli
    Options
    I've seen someone logging 'talking on the telephone... 60 calories.... driving...... 80 calories........ sleeping during the day..... 500 calories!!!

Dont see why ironing cant be added to that list!! lol

I tend to only add my actual exercise calories and assume that ironing and daily routine stuff is already added to my calculated calorie goal. unless of course you iron for a living...
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Unless your ironing for like 3 hours I wouldn't bother and just think of it as an extra bonus !
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    One would think that daily activities (cooking, cleaning, laundry - unless you're rearranging furniture) would be included when you calculated your activity level.

I suspect that those logging scratching their back, tying their shoes etc are getting a little carried away - who has time to keep track of that? I log workouts, nothing more (speaking of which......time for my run)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Only if your iron weighs like 50 lbs.

And you set up the ironing board so that you have to jump up every time you make a pass with the iron.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Well I log it!!!
    My activity level is Sedentary as I sit in an office all day. Standing up wielding the iron for a couple of hours is tiring so it counts. I log it as 'Cleaning light, moderate effort' but only log half the time I actually do.
    I don't log any other cleaning because I pay someone else to do that.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Well I log it!!!
    My activity level is Sedentary as I sit in an office all day. Standing up wielding the iron for a couple of hours is tiring so it counts. I log it as 'Cleaning light, moderate effort' but only log half the time I actually do.
    I don't log any other cleaning because I pay someone else to do that.

I used to log it, the only reason i don't now is because i have a fitbit and it gives me a calorie adjustment for anything that is not sedentry .
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    WOW ... seriously??
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't log general "life" activity. The system assumes, even with a Sedentary life style that you actually do more than just sit in the office. That being said, if it makes you happy to log it, go for it. Whatever motivates you is good. But don't be surprised when you see yourself logging hundreds of calories burned with "life" activities and you eat those calories, if you don't see a weight loss as a result.
  • LolaVersion2
    LolaVersion2 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Unless you're PUMPING that Iron. Don't bother.
  • nicnactoo
    nicnactoo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My motto: life is too short for ironing.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't log general "life" activity. The system assumes, even with a Sedentary life style that you actually do more than just sit in the office. That being said, if it makes you happy to log it, go for it. Whatever motivates you is good. But don't be surprised when you see yourself logging hundreds of calories burned with "life" activities and you eat those calories, if you don't see a weight loss as a result.

You're right that we all have to fnd what works for us and stick with it. Ironing is the only thing of this type which I log and it works for me. I have lost more than 30lbs and am still losing.
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My motto: life is too short for ironing.
    QFT
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Oh to be über-fit! :laugh:

If I were 300+ lbs and I stood for 2-3 hours and ironed a whole pile of washing, once a fortnight or so, then yes, I probably would add it to my exercise log as it would be quite an effort and not a daily occurrence.

Now I'm a lot fitter and I can tell you that standing for 2-3 hours ironing, hanging clothes, going up & down starts umpteen times with the freshly ironed shirts is still quite a chore. I don't log it as exercise, but to say it shouldn't be logged is a blanket statement too far, imho.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Agree. Unless this is something you've never done before maybe, but I would consider this part as my daily (well, weekly, okay let's be honest, monthly) life.