How can I make the most of the time I have at gym?

Options
I have recently started this whole exercise thing and the best way for me is to hit the gym at 05h15 - but that only gives me 30 minutes max before I need to leave and get ready to get to work on time. Historically going after work has never really worked for me as there are just too may other things that comes up during the day.
At the moment I do 4 of the week days and then one of the days over the weekend - I do 30 minutes on the treadmill during the week and 40 minutes over the weekend (per session)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can optimize the time I have at the gym to achieve maximum results?

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Look into a cardio style called HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training, it is performed in and around 20 minutes give or take based on your own outlook on it, this type of training will provide more benefits than steady paced cardio does
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    HIIT combined with strength training are probably the best ways to see results from short bursts at the gym.

do some long walking at the weekend if you have time - whether or not it helps your fitness (it will) it clears the mind and gives you a boost.
  • roodledoodle
    Options
    Or you could do circuit training that way you'd be getting a bit of strength training in with short bursts of cardio inbetween - it's very effective. I had a personal trainer who done a few different circuits for me which were 40mins max and I can honestly say I really got a sweat on doing that and started see a change in my body shape after a month. I would do things like:

Lat Pull down 8-10 reps
    Walking lunges 12 -15
    Push ups - as many as I could manage
    then 3 minutes blast on treadmill
    Jacknifes on the gym ball - 10-12 reps
    Deadlift - 8-10 reps
    Overhead tricep extensions
    then 3 minutes blast on treadmill

And repeat this circuit 3-4 times.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    HIIT combined with strength training are probably the best ways to see results from short bursts at the gym.

do some long walking at the weekend if you have time - whether or not it helps your fitness (it will) it clears the mind and gives you a boost.

With strength training super set. :)
  • ElizmaKnowles
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Certainly a lot of very good help! Will give it all go and see what I find works best for me :tongue: