1200 calories a day is killing me!!!

Options
Hi all you beautiful people.

So MFP suggested I eat 1200 calories a day but I am finding it very hard to eat healthy and stick within the calorie range.

For example today my diary consists of the following:

Breakfast: English Muffin with laughing cow wedge and strawberry jam

Lunch: 2 Slices Seed Bread with Pesto, Avo, Cottage Cheese and Peppers.

Supper: Chicken Breast with rice and grilled veggies

Snacks: Peach and Small Bran muffin.

That is over the calorie range.

Before starting this I did not even eat so much but now I obsess with what I eat and although the choices are healthy, it is not in the 1200 calorie limit.

Please advice cause when I eat any less now I feel extremely hungry.

Also my other bad habit is having a glass of wine at night which takes my guard down but I'm working on that.

My question is, what changes can I make to stay within this range otherwise I'm never going to loose this weight.

Replies

• kford12
    kford12 Posts: 112
    Options
    I have a feeling you're going to get a real mixed bag of replies on this one! Some people will say you're eating far too less and others will say it is about increasing the exercise to earn more calories and gradually adapting.

It may be worth upping them slightly to help you adjust to the change, but I think once you get used to eating a smaller amount your body will adjust.

Also, make sure you drink lots of water as this really helps too!! :smile:
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is quite low.

Check out the post below;
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

It can be a bit difficult o understand but, keep reading and it will all become clear. It helped me realise I was not eating enough

Also check out this website;
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Others will no doubt chip in on this with more technical info, but you may find that 1200 is not enough for you, and may even be impeding your weight loss. I will let others deal with that, as i am slightly less-than-conversant with the technical terminology.

Two easy fixes, though a) are you exercising and eating back the calories burned? If you want to stay at 1200 net, even a 20 minute brisk walk will build a few extra calories into your available supply. b) are you set at 'lose 2lb a week'? If so, you may want to change your settings to a more reasonable 'lose 1.5lb' or 'lose 1lb' - your calorie allowance will increase, and this is generally held to be the healthiest long-term rate of loss.

A glass of wine every now and then should be something you can budget calories for, if you're working on a reasonable calorie allowance. Good luck!
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I just looked on your profile and your ticker says you only have about 16lbs to lose. How much did you put yourself in to lose per week? If you put in 2lbs, that may be why MFP put you at 1200 calories. 0.5-1lb a week would probably be a more realistic goal for you, since you don't have much to lose. 1200 calories is day is often too little for most people and may well be below your BMR.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    For me, that's a lot of carbs: muffin for breakfast, bread at lunch, rice for dinner, and another muffin for snack.

If you looked for alternatives to some of these, you might be able to bring down your calories. Eggs for breakfast, or soup/ salad for lunch. Nuts or fruit instead of the snack muffin.

Also look at portion size - could you reduce the amount of rice you eat at dinner time, and have more veg instead?
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Firstly, if you exercise, you'll get some extra calories to eat back, so you'll have more than 1200 a day.

Secondly, You're right your diet is quite quite healthy, but it is also bread heavy. You have 2 types of muffin and some bread in there. I'm not a low carb. advocate, but these foods are energy dense i.e. they're high in calories for their size. You might find you feel fuller by substituting in more low fat proteins, like the chicken breast you have or some fish, and more fresh veggies and undressed salad.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hi all you beautiful people.

So MFP suggested I eat 1200 calories a day but I am finding it very hard to eat healthy and stick within the calorie range.

For example today my diary consists of the following:

Breakfast: English Muffin with laughing cow wedge and strawberry jam

Lunch: 2 Slices Seed Bread with Pesto, Avo, Cottage Cheese and Peppers.

Supper: Chicken Breast with rice and grilled veggies

Snacks: Peach and Small Bran muffin.

That is over the calorie range.

Before starting this I did not even eat so much but now I obsess with what I eat and although the choices are healthy, it is not in the 1200 calorie limit.

Please advice cause when I eat any less now I feel extremely hungry.

Also my other bad habit is having a glass of wine at night which takes my guard down but I'm working on that.

My question is, what changes can I make to stay within this range otherwise I'm never going to loose this weight.

If you are struggling with 1200, it may be that it is not the right amount for you.

Do you know your BMR and TDEE? -Work out your TDEE and deduct 20%. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

I was also given 1200, but couldn't manage as it made me ill and cranky - I now lose on 1600.
    1200 works for some, but not for everyone, you need to find the sweet spot for you.

Also, bear in mind that the way MFP works, 1200 is meant to be NET, so if you exercise even a little you will eat more than 1200.

Good Luck.
  • jconnors2012
    jconnors2012 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Exercise more, to earn extra calories, and eat more low calorie things such as vegetables and fruit. Have smaller portions and include more vegetables.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I support what the others have said about the muffins/bread. I manage to keep to 1200 and not feel hungry most days but I eat virtually no bread and very little rice/pasta. I snack on dried apricots, almonds or grapes.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Two easy fixes, though a) are you exercising and eating back the calories burned? If you want to stay at 1200 net, even a 20 minute brisk walk will build a few extra calories into your available supply. b) are you set at 'lose 2lb a week'? If so, you may want to change your settings to a more reasonable 'lose 1.5lb' or 'lose 1lb' - your calorie allowance will increase, and this is generally held to be the healthiest long-term rate of loss.

A glass of wine every now and then should be something you can budget calories for, if you're working on a reasonable calorie allowance. Good luck!

^^^^^ This x200 ^^^^^

I am on a 1280 a day "allowance" too. So I exercise between 700-900 calories extra most days. So yesterday for instance:
    My allowance: 1280
    My exercise: 844 (70 mins on exercise bike and 60 mins scrubbing the bathroom and running up and down the stairs putting the laundry away, making the beds ((yes it counts - my heart was beating at 130bpm for most of the time :))

So I was allowed to eat for the day: 1280+840 = 2320cals

....... and I had a glass of wine to use up the last 135 cals left (followed by a glass of water) before bed.

Also, as others have said, trying to lose 2lbs a week with only a 16lb target loss may be too much for your poor body to handle. (I am a lardarse with 85lbs to lose so that is the reason I am aiming to lose 2lbs a week :) Perhaps reduce to 1 or a half a lb loss a week. Be gentle on yourself.

Chin up, you can do it.

xx
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I just looked on your profile and your ticker says you only have about 16lbs to lose. How much did you put yourself in to lose per week? If you put in 2lbs, that may be why MFP put you at 1200 calories. 0.5-1lb a week would probably be a more realistic goal for you, since you don't have much to lose. 1200 calories is day is often too little for most people and may well be below your BMR.
    This!

But also... bread. You might not like this, but I'd consider taking down your bread consumption. It's high in cals and won't fill you up as much as other foods (grains or more veg/protein. EGGS!)
  • Pandalicious
    Options
    If you are very hungry on 1200 a day, I would say add maybe 200 calories a day. It's not good to feel so hungry and you will not be able to stick with it if you're always feeling hungry.
  • KISSDEP
    KISSDEP Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I have been trying to stick to 1200 calories a day since February. It is really hard, but worth it. I was 11 stone 3lb, and now I'm 10 stone 2lb. I always try not to eat more than 2 slices of bread a day. Porridge is really good for you in a morning because it helps keep you fuller for longer. (I sometimes put blueberries in it). If I'm hungry I have a cup of tea (only 17 cals if you don't take sugar). I love sweet things and not having chocolate has been the hardest thing to give up - I now eat a Snack A Jack rice cake, caramel flavour if I get a craving for something sweet (51 cals). Hope all this helps.
    Last but not least.....if you excercise and burn off for example 200 cals, then you can "win" another 200 cals worth of food! So worth it if you are starving. :drinker:
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Don't take this the wrong way...but the first thing i noticed was "she's eating muffins? And 2 a day??"
    That's not an intelligent choice if you want to comply with your calories...
    You should do healthier choices, that way you are allowed to eat more :wink:

One way that you could eat more is to exercise...´cause if you spend 300calories doing exercise, you'll be able to eat 1500 calories during the day (1200+300)

Can you turn your food diary public, so we can see it?

Kisses,
    Tatyanne
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have around 1200kcals a day because I'm really small!

I find the best thing to do is have smaller meals but eat more often in the day - this is my breakdown and example menu;

Breakfast: 250cals - Boiledegg, toast and marmite, piece of fruit, cup of tea and milk

Snack: 100kcals - Bowl of soup

Lunch: 200kcals - Light cream cheese, 6 melba toasts, slice of fruit loaf

Snack: 100kcals- Cereal bar

Dinner: 300kcals - Quorn fillets, cous cous, salad, apple.

Snack: 50kcals - Carrot sticks and dip

Supper: 200kcals - Two rich tea biscuits, cup of tea and milk and a bit of chocolate.

I don't feel like I'm dieting at all because I'm eating whenever I want!
  • Lady_who_Lunches
    Options
    I'd say and you may not like this.......Ditch the English Muffin for breakfast and choose something else. Good Luck :)
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My two cents worth:
    If you are eating healthy and your body is saying it needs more then feed it.

I would evaluate what you are eating and how much you are exercising.

I eat when my body tells me its hungry just listen to it. Your body is designed to survive it will tell you when you need food.

Forums opinions are just that: opinions. Everyone body is different and you have to adjust the settings and opinions to suit YOUR BODY. You need to experiment for a couple of weeks to see where your calorie goal should be, set it and when you start gaining thats your upper limit and start lower your calories slowly.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to stick to 1200 either. Personally I think it's too low anyway, but that's me. I've changed my settings to lose only 0.5lb a week and now I have 1400. Add exercise calories to that and I'm usually around 1600-1700 a day.
    And yes, I'm still losing.
  • DanceFloorLegend
    Options
    I'm also on roughly 1230 calories per day and I'm oscillating between just under and just over my daily allowance. So far, I haven't felt at all hungry - in fact, there was one day I just fel stuffed - because I'm focusing on protein which keeps you feeling fuller for longer.

If you have a more filling meal at breakfast, you'll automatically eat less at lunchtime so try beans on toast, fruit salad with a yoghurt poured over the top or boiled/poached eggs on toast.

A lean meat like turkey with a large salad for lunch should see you through the rest of the afternoon, but if you can also fit in a half hour walk during your lunch break, you'll earn yourself enough calories to have a little extra in the evenings.

Good luck x

PS. I should say. Don't take my ticker as a sign I'm not losing. I've only been registered on the site for five days!!! :)
  • MrsDutt
    MrsDutt Posts: 32
    Options
    First of all I have NEVER been on a community board where I got so many replies over a few days so I am overwhelmed with joy. Thank you for all the responses.

I totally get it and you all are speaking from one voice. I think it is somewhat ignorance on what I thought was healthy. I thought if I cut out take-out and the obvious (soda, cookies, chocolate) that it would be a pieace of cake (no pun intended) to loose the weight I need to.

Yes I know 16lbs seems little but I've been trying to loose it for 1 year. I have 2 toddlers and therefore can not seem to have the energy to exercise (although I know it is only an excise). I have a elliptical trainer in my office but have never climbed on it. By the time in the afternoon when I have a hour to kill I usually just sit there and eyeball the bike. I also get overwhelmed when I can not even do 5 minutes of cardio, my chest burns and I give up.

In my culture carbs are a total staple food so I have decided to cut down major on it as you guys suggested. I don't have a microwave in the office and hate soggy salads but could assemble it in the office. I just run out of ideas and my knowledge of salads go as far as a greek version.

I am going to try harder.