900 Calories too low??

Options
2»

Replies

• cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    bad idea. Why would you do that. If you want to increase your metabolism you need to eat more, not less.

This.
    my 2 yr old eats more than that and he's tiny.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Please don't cut your net calories under 1200. Your body needs a MIN of 1200 net calories. You risk harming yourself and lowering your metabolism, which will only make your weight loss efforts more difficult.

Net 1200 a day and I promise you, you will lose. (Net, though. So if you burn 300 calories working out, you should eat 1500 that day.)
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    So, this is just my experience but maybe one out of four or six weeks, I'll "cycle" my calories, dropping down to 900 cal for 2 out of 7 days (non-consecutive) and then up to around 1900 net calories. At the end of the week though, I'm at 9000-9500 total, putting my average 1300-1350 per day. Bonus is I can plan my high calorie days for days when I know I'm likely to eat more (weddings, parties, etc).

I started cycling on my trainer's recommendation, after my doctor reviewed my cycle schedule and said it was OK. I personally can't go 2 consecutive days on 900 calories (I get too tired). I would definitely NOT try it, or starting anything drastic really, without a doctor's OK.

For reference, my TDEE is around 1630 right now.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    This topic has been locked because it violates the MyFitnessPal guidelines. MyFitnessPal does not recommend anything below 1200 daily calories. The guideline in questions state:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.

Thank you for your understanding.
This discussion has been closed.