Do you pack a lunch?

Options

Replies

• tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Wraps are a good sandwich swap and easy enough to put together. I pack hummus in a little Tupperware and fill a bag with veggies I want. Tortilla or light flat out, maybe some veggie bacon or lean protein.

I also like salads, which requires fewer separate bag / containers. A go to-- spring mix, salsa, black beans, 2 oz diced chicken breast, tomatoes, onion, cucumbers, sugar snap peas and carrots.

I have to pack a lunch-- if I am too hungry when I walk in the door at home, I make bad choices and overeat.

GL!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    bump
  • jencurtlong
    Options
    Hi - just bought a new George Foreman grill (with removable plates - that was key for me). In the morning before work I grill a chicken breast or a piece of tilapia or swai fish on the grill while I'm making breakfast. I take this for lunch along with some steamed veggies and Chobani yogurt. The fish/chicken usually cooks in about 7 minutes from frozen. It's fast and it's real food when lunch time rolls around. Hope this helps - Great ideas from other posts too!
  • Back2Becca
    Options
    I usually pack a salad with a protien also almonds or a trail mix as a snack or a wrap with tuna or chicken salad.
    I make 3 days worth of salad usually so that I don't have to deal with it every morning/night.
  • djmauck
    djmauck Posts: 18
    Options
    I bring a container of lentils and brown rice, and put Cholula hot sauce on it. It's a complete protein and very high in fiber. You could use other beans too. I like lentils because they taste good and they're easy to prepare. I usually add a piece of fruit or some Greek yogurt. I don't really care much if I eat the same thing every day, but that's at least one thing you could add to make for some variety.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi - just bought a new George Foreman grill (with removable plates - that was key for me). In the morning before work I grill a chicken breast or a piece of tilapia or swai fish on the grill while I'm making breakfast. I take this for lunch along with some steamed veggies and Chobani yogurt. The fish/chicken usually cooks in about 7 minutes from frozen. It's fast and it's real food when lunch time rolls around. Hope this helps - Great ideas from other posts too!

Those things are great aren't they? I had a hamilton beach grill like that a few years ago I used all the time. I was amazed how fast it would cook from frozen. 7 - 8 minutes, even less for fish.
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I pack a lunch at least 4 of the 5 days a week for work. I'm not a gourmet chef (if I cook, my husband adds spices to it when I leave the room). I'm a picky eater (not big on veggies but getting better and I'm a big texture eater). I sometimes bring left overs. Other days, I'll pack a half sandwich - turkey or chicken on a grainy bread, along with frozen green beans that I "steam" in the microwave. Most days I bring some form of fruit as a snack or an individual bag of baby carrots with out dip (don't like dips either) and for that 3:00 "I need a munchie" moment a Fiber One Chocolate & Oats bar or 6 honey wheat pretzels (1/2 serving for 55 cal - sweet and salty).

Not very exciting, but its working for me! It's cheaper and better for me than ordering out with the sales floor.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Bump

I love a lot of these ideas.

I also bring lunch 4-5x a week. Once in awhile I'll get Subway for lunch. Otherwise I usually pack a salad 2-3x a week and then maybe a turkey sandwich with veggies.

I like the idea of quinoa with beans and stuff in it. That sounds really good. I should start bringing hummus and other stuff as well to change things up a little.
  • I always pack my staple foods, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, or snap peas, and then usually throw in a salad or a bean burrito, or a leftover, or pb and j, or a deli sandwich.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch most days and I was falling into the Lean Cuisine rut. I'm trying to get out of that sodium trap! :)

Some days, I will make a salad.... spinach, boiled egg whites, craisins, cucumbers & feta cheese and I'll grab a pack (or 2...only 100 cals each) of sandwich-read tuna salad to throw in when I get ready to eat it. Or new this week, because again, tuna is higher sodium too so I don't want to eat that daily, I'll grab a chicken breast. The Tyson grilled and ready chicken breast make a great salad! I use red wine vinegar on the tuna (no cals) and yogurt ranch on the chicken (only 45 cals/tbsp).
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    grilled chicken along with rice and broccoli, stirfry, wraps (there are so many you can make) Salads with chicken or steak, talapia.. soo much you can do as log as you have a microwave handy.
  • catramsey2
    catramsey2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I bring cooked salmon patties I made at home, cooked ground turkey with low carb tortillas, shredded cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, Avocado, sweet potato to make in microwave at work, split pea soup, homemade chili, chicken breast, steamed carrots.

I scramble eggs (no fat or butter used) to last four days and bring to work in tupperware/plastic ware, and double fiber english muffins for breakfast. I make a protein shake once or twice a day for a snack. Eat yogurt. Have oatmeal to add to my shake.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    When I make dinner the night before I always make enough for the next day lunch. I also occasionally have a sandwich or salad.

this!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I always make an extra portion at dinner and take it as lunch
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Cook a bunch of chicken one night and bring it to work to eat. Cans of tuna also work really well. Whatever you make for dinner, just make plenty of it and then bring some for work the next day. This is what i usually do and it serves me just fine.
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch with me everyday to work, I've noticed I bring quick things that are high in calories and all of that. I'm sick of eating a sandwich everyday, it get's old!

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could bring for lunch that is easy to make and not high in calories, yet filling?

I've started to bring veggies with ranch dip, instead of the cookies/chips I was bringing. Now I just need something to put in place of the everyday sandwich. Sometimes I'll bring a salad but that get's old quick as well!

Thank you for any help :flowerforyou:

I bring my lunch every day also and was having the same problem. So i did a little shopping for work so i had variety and I started bringing left over dinner. Don't know if that helps, but it helps me :smile:
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Make recipes that are (habitually) made for dinners as your lunch. I like my sandwiches (for now), but you could do anything in the cookbook.
  • oceanamy2287
    oceanamy2287 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What about MorningStar Farms black bean burgers? I love them with the little Arnold Sandwich thins and some Newman's Own Light Honey Mustard dressing... That with a side salad keeps me full for a while and very few calories!
  • allysabee
    allysabee Posts: 123
    Options
    I also bring a lunch to work everyday. I get bored so I alternate between sandwiches, frozen dinners (healthy ones of course), wraps, salads, etc. I only started bringing salads recently actually and have found that they can be delicious and enjoyable instead of bland and boring! I put sliced apple, pear, strawberries, cheese and a low cal dressing. You can add fish or chicken too if you want some protein!

I also usually bring about 3 or 4 snacks for the morning and one for the afternoon. I eat things like hard boiled eggs, cheese strings, apples, bananas, green olives, applesauce, etc. My afternoon snack is usually cut up vegetables, sometimes with a dip. Lately I've been loving sliced bell peppers!

Good luck :) Feel free to add me!
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great ideas!!!