Want to lose 35lbs and run first 5k!

Options
As of right now, I have lost 15.6lbs (started at 251 before getting pregnant with my son..ended pregnancy weighing 253, lost 15 more lbs and gained 10 back) from my highest non-pregnant weight of 251. Right now I am down to 235.4. I have a goal. in 5 months (September 22) I hope to be about 35lbs lighter and running my first 5k. I've been told by a few that 5 months is plenty of time to train for it. My plan as of now is to start the c25k next week (this week, I walk/ran alternated one day and walked the next..I've heard running 2 days in a row being a beginner is a no no)

Anyway, just looking for friends with similar goals :)

Replies

• katiewalker123
    Options
    I would love to be able to run 5k I am definately up for going along with you on this journey!!

I have done a bit of running, i can probably run for about 8-9 minutes without stopping (not sure on distance) but i would love to be able to run for 20 minutes constantly.

Do you run much? I found it quite hard to follow the couch to 5k only because i felt like an idiot doing the interval training in the local park.

Bring on the 5K

:)
    x
  • aewalk07
    aewalk07 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love C25K, doing week two right now. Make sure you are on a day off a day. Week two is killer . lol :) I'm feeling it today!
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am about the same as you. And I am also doing C25k. My first 5k is July 1st!! I'm only on week 2, just finished day 1. =)
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I just recently ran my first 5K (St. Patty's day). I also did the C25K program and I thought it was amazing! A few suggestions that helped me...

1. If you can, get a running buddy. Its a heck of a lot harder to say no to a friend than to yourself (at least it is for me)
    2. Sign up for that 5K in September as soon as you can. Having already paid for one kept me motivated to complete it
    3. Switch up where you run. I found that running the same course over and over got really tedious and boring so my friends and I had a few different courses we ran and it kept it more interesting.
    4. I used the "get running" app on my phone for the C25K and I thought it was awesome. She not only tells you when to walk/run but also gives you some encouragement along the way. I thought it was better than the free app.
    5. If you finish C25K before your race and want to keep running, get the "map my run" app or something similar. It uses the GPS in your phone and can give you updates on you distance/ time/ speed, etc.

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you need some support! :)
  • aewalk07
    Options
    It gets easier, and I love doing it in the park. It's hilly, and no one is really watching you, they are too busy working on their run. And you might be surprised, others are doing it as well. :) The app even tells you run one day and rest the next then run the next. I try to push myself, esp when I feel tired. I did not think i would run for 1:30 yesterday in my longest "run" I was used to the :30, :60, :90. BUT i DID IT. you can too, stick with it. I want to run a 5k like i used to! I'm down 6 pounds since eating 1500-1700 cal a day and doing c25k.
  • wally1uk
    wally1uk Posts: 120
    Options
    As of right now, I have lost 15.6lbs (started at 251 before getting pregnant with my son..ended pregnancy weighing 253, lost 15 more lbs and gained 10 back) from my highest non-pregnant weight of 251. Right now I am down to 235.4. I have a goal. in 5 months (September 22) I hope to be about 35lbs lighter and running my first 5k. I've been told by a few that 5 months is plenty of time to train for it. My plan as of now is to start the c25k next week (this week, I walk/ran alternated one day and walked the next..I've heard running 2 days in a row being a beginner is a no no)

Anyway, just looking for friends with similar goals :)
    Hi Jess, please feel free to add me!!

I am currently 222lbs after losing 32lbs here on MFP and a further 24 prior to joining!! I am currently on W6R3 of C25K which I never thought I could do!! It's an amazing programme if you follow the steps, take the rest days as and when you should!! If I can do it, anyone can...and I'm serious about that as the first run of only 1 minute killed me in the first week :D Now I'm up to running 20 mins none stop....I have NEVER been able to do that before!! Going to sign up for a local 5k once I have completed C25K :)

My target weight is 154lbs or thereabouts before I start toning and buffing up a bit! So I've got a way to go :)

Good luck with your goals and I look forward to hearing how you are getting on :)

Andy
    Norfolk
    England
  • aewalk07
    Options
    I also use nike+. you do not have to have nike + shoes to use it either. check out your running stores. it will map and track everything for you.
  • abenard
    abenard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar goal. I would like to run my first 5K this fall. Scary but exciting.
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just recently ran my first 5K (St. Patty's day). I also did the C25K program and I thought it was amazing! A few suggestions that helped me...

1. If you can, get a running buddy. Its a heck of a lot harder to say no to a friend than to yourself (at least it is for me)
    2. Sign up for that 5K in September as soon as you can. Having already paid for one kept me motivated to complete it
    3. Switch up where you run. I found that running the same course over and over got really tedious and boring so my friends and I had a few different courses we ran and it kept it more interesting.
    4. I used the "get running" app on my phone for the C25K and I thought it was awesome. She not only tells you when to walk/run but also gives you some encouragement along the way. I thought it was better than the free app.
    5. If you finish C25K before your race and want to keep running, get the "map my run" app or something similar. It uses the GPS in your phone and can give you updates on you distance/ time/ speed, etc.

this +1!!! I have the c25k lite app for android and mapmyrun (which I use now during c25k)
  • JessicaPiche89
    JessicaPiche89 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Do you run much? I found it quite hard to follow the couch to 5k only because i felt like an idiot doing the interval training in the local park.

I've never been a runner, but I needed to set some sort of goal for myself. I'm in a wedding September 15th, so I want to look decent in my dress. As of right now, I can run maybe 30-45 seconds at a time. I'm VERY much a beginner. I've been working out and tracking for a couple months now which is how I am down right now.

As for the interval training and feeling like an idiot. I understand that. I walk/attempt to run in my neighborhood (It's a .5 mile loop that is very hilly, my smart runner app said it was a 66ft elevation difference throughout) I feel like a complete fool walking some and running some, but hopefully one day I am running it a few times no problems ;)
  • mradke71
    mradke71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know when my wife trained for her first she did interval training. Jog for 30 seconds walk for 1 min and up the times after a week to Jog 45 seconds and walk 45 seconds. It really helps train the muscles and gets you prepared. Good Luck
  • coffystain
    Options
    Hey Jessica, I read your post and wanted to say congratulations on your endeavors. I ran my first 5K on Jan. 15 at 270 and I know you can do it too! I recently joined MFP to lose a lot more weight while keeping myself accountable for what I put on my plate, so in the end I can run a little faster and further in my next run.
  • JessicaPiche89
    Options

Oh wow, thank you for all of that! I called my sister in law (who is overweight also) and she said she would like to do it with me! I had planned on signing up soon, it's called the Caraway Warrior, and is on hiking type trails, so I think my neighborhood is a decent place to train some since it is rough.

I'm able to upgrade my phone next week (I have windows mobile right now, and it sucks, no apps) but when I get my new phone I will DEFINITELY get that app, thank you!
  • JessicaPiche89
    Options
    It gets easier, and I love doing it in the park. It's hilly, and no one is really watching you, they are too busy working on their run. And you might be surprised, others are doing it as well. :) The app even tells you run one day and rest the next then run the next. I try to push myself, esp when I feel tired. I did not think i would run for 1:30 yesterday in my longest "run" I was used to the :30, :60, :90. BUT i DID IT. you can too, stick with it. I want to run a 5k like i used to! I'm down 6 pounds since eating 1500-1700 cal a day and doing c25k.

I'm doing a modified sort of it this week before I start the actual c25k. I'm not sure I am up to 60-90 seconds yet ( I know, sad) 2.5 months ago I just sat on my butt and ate food all the time, so I have made a lot of changes with myself. I am really proud of how far I have come so far!

Good job making it the 1:30! That is a definite accomplishment! :)
  • JessicaPiche89
    Options
    Hi Jess, please feel free to add me!!

I am currently 222lbs after losing 32lbs here on MFP and a further 24 prior to joining!! I am currently on W6R3 of C25K which I never thought I could do!! It's an amazing programme if you follow the steps, take the rest days as and when you should!! If I can do it, anyone can...and I'm serious about that as the first run of only 1 minute killed me in the first week :D Now I'm up to running 20 mins none stop....I have NEVER been able to do that before!! Going to sign up for a local 5k once I have completed C25K :)

My target weight is 154lbs or thereabouts before I start toning and buffing up a bit! So I've got a way to go :)

Good luck with your goals and I look forward to hearing how you are getting on :)

Andy
    Norfolk
    England

Hey, that is awesome! Great job! Hopefully I'll be there soon!

I haven't really set a definite goal weight yet, but my first is to be under 200. I haven't been under 200 since being an adult that I can remember, and I want to make that goal.
  • JessicaPiche89
    Options
    I know when my wife trained for her first she did interval training. Jog for 30 seconds walk for 1 min and up the times after a week to Jog 45 seconds and walk 45 seconds. It really helps train the muscles and gets you prepared. Good Luck

Thank you :)
  • JessicaPiche89
    Options
    Hey Jessica, I read your post and wanted to say congratulations on your endeavors. I ran my first 5K on Jan. 15 at 270 and I know you can do it too! I recently joined MFP to lose a lot more weight while keeping myself accountable for what I put on my plate, so in the end I can run a little faster and further in my next run.

Congrats on completing your first 5k! That is awesome!

I've told a few people about it and so far no one seems to believe I can/will do it. It's really upsetting me. They all look at me like I am crazy. The only person who seems to 100% believe I can is my husband, and I'm thankful to have him to stand by me.