Fruit Calories - WTF

Options
2»

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A couple things:
    1. I agree with folks saying to up your calories, but only because I found that if I don't personally eat at least 1390, I run into plateaus consistently.
    2. If you're hungry, eat. Hunger is a message from your body that it needs fuel.
    3. Change what you're eating for snacks. I find that if I have a little protein with my snack, I don't get hungry as quickly. Try switching out fruit for a hard boiled egg or string cheese or peanut butter. I keep mini snack crackers from Trader Joe's at my desk along with a jar of peanut butter. 4 little crackers and a teaspoon to a tablespoon of peanut butter can hold my hunger at bay for 2 - 3 hours at times.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like fruits. I don't care about the calories. But If you are that concerned about the calories substitute half of them for veggies.... a serving (3 oz) of baby carrots is only 35 calories. A cup of raw broccoli is only like 20 or 40 or something. Celery basically has no calories. A whole bell pepper is 50 calories. (I only eat half in one sitting, so 25 cals)
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would try to get it down to 2 pieces of fruit a day. That is a lot of sugar. Even though it's good sugar still a lot.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you, but as far as good food goes, it's the least good. Cut it back to 1-2 servings a day while you're trying to lose weight. Also, don't worry as much. If you go over 1200 and it's on fruit, that's not the worst sin to sin.

Half a banana is probably better.
  • JoannaLouden
    JoannaLouden Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Maybe trade one of them out for a vegetable? Cucumbers are one of my faves raw and they have high water content (not a lot of calories or sugar). Or maybe trade one of them for watermelon and see if that lowers it....watermelon is starting to come in season and I know it has a lot of water in it...so it may be lower cal.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Your fruit choices are mostly high glycemic index fruits, containing a lot of sugar. You should research and diversify with some low index fruits.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit,I didn't eat fruit. I ate junk,now I don't eat junk..I'm OK with that
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    thanks for the tips:flowerforyou:

I will start going for more water based fruits and substituting for veggies too
  • katesmithy
    Options
    I also have changed my work snacks for fruit and encountered the same problem as you, I'm also trying to eat 1200 a day and a lot of people have said this is too low. Because I hate going above it, I've deicded not to up my calories but just to stop counting fruit or veg calories on MFP. This way you're eating more than 1200 but not excessively and don't have to feel guilty about a healthy snack!

Also remember before you started MFP what you were eating, if you're anything like me then not counting fruit isn't a loss as I'm switching to them from fatty horrible foods that I ate! Its win win as long as you count everything else, in my head anyway!
  • katesmithy
    Options
    I eat fruit,I didn't eat fruit. I ate junk,now I don't eat junk..I'm OK with that
    Exaaactly!
  • Angelgirl040688
    Angelgirl040688 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i discovered that a cucumber has very little calories in it.. so i stock up on them...