quinoa

Options
ieva015
ieva015 Posts: 93 Member
okay, so first time in my life i heard about quinoa in MFP.
i'm considering buying it today, but how do you eat it? why so many people eats it?
is it something similar to oatmeal?

Replies

• Whitney0919
    Whitney0919 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    quinoa is more similar to barley or rice. It is very good cold with fat free balsamic dressing, cucumbers, roma tomatoes, grilled chicken and a little feta.... It can be served warm, too, but I prefer it cold. You can mix in almost any veggies. As with rice, don't stir too much while it cooks, or it will become too smooth and creamy.
  • sodaisy
    sodaisy Posts: 69
    Options
    Cook it with vegetable stock, the cooking instruction should be on the packet. I always use 1 part of quinoa with 5 parts of water and half a veg stock cube. Cook it for about 15 on medium heat then turn to low heat to cook until all liquid is gone. Stir it occaionally to stop it from sticking to pan.

It's really nice if you mix it with some roasted vegetable, add some meat in if you have left over.
  • clarkehe
    clarkehe Posts: 3
    Options
    Or cook it in a rice cooker with one part quioa, two parts water or chicken/vegetable stock.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    It lovely used in place of rice or cous cous.

Rinse it well and cook to pack instructions.

I like to make it mixed with fresh herbs and veggies, or 'risotto' style with cream cheese, mushrooms & parmesan. Or mix through some currry paste or pesto and have it on the side of fish/meat.

It is lower in cals and waaaaaaaay higher in protein than other grains, and low GI.