Protein shakes - attn parents

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    My guess would be no - they have such high levels of protein. IE taking 2 shakes a day with healthy dinners I am over my recommended protein intake through MFP.
    I can only imagine for a child the recommended protein allowance would be a lot less.
    Maybe half a portion once a week or something as a treat.
    MFP's protein recommendation is very low. There's no reason to treat it as a maximum. I'm guessing you don't know anything about nutrition, based on your comment, so I think it's very irresponsible for you to be giving someone advice about their child's nutrition.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Uh, I wouldn't. I would also agree that something involving your CHILD shouldn't be thrown out to a bunch of MFP folks. We're not all necessarily IDIOTS, but we're all not necessarily pediatricians. However, that being said, when I make myself a protein shake, I also make my kids a smoothie with yogurt and berries and almond or skim milk. They love it, they think they're drinking one of 'mommy's special drinks', and it's healthy for their little bodies.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Baby formula has some protein powder in it as an important component. If your child is overweight or not active (like the average bouncy kid) then it probably wouldn't be a good idea. Don't make it a daily thing because stats say kids go way over protein needs and SOMETIMES that can contribute to childhood obesity Perhaps they would like a more kid friendly shake like PediaSure with all the necessary vitamins and minerals and an easy 7g of protein.
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    I have let my 9 yr old have some but not as a regular thing. If your kid is real young, maybe get pediasure so that they can have their own shake with mommy.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely rely on your pediatrician for this information, and not MFP.

This. And, I'd probably pass on the protein shakes. If your child really wants a drink like that, choose a child suitable one, like the Pediasure shakes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

These are most likely minimums as they are quite low for every age group. The amount of milk and cheese my son (17months old) eats would put him over that intake, and some days he eats meat on top of that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My guess would be no - they have such high levels of protein. IE taking 2 shakes a day with healthy dinners I am over my recommended protein intake through MFP.
    I can only imagine for a child the recommended protein allowance would be a lot less.

FYI: MFP protein limits are extremely low

The MFP recommendations are the recommendations of the Institute of Medicine and are not low for the average person, though they might be for those that "lift heavy" and are trying to build muscle. Going over the recommendations is not safe for everyone.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Boost makes a kids shake: 7g protein
    http://www.kidessentials.com/nutrition-shakes?gclid=CKf16p-vr68CFY0BQAodskEApw

Edit: I would just give a 3year old child chocolate milk, make it a shake in the blender with some ice cubes.... a glass of whole milk has 8g of protein.

When I'm making my protein shake I just make my 17year old a shake with just yogurt & frozen fruit (no protein powder)
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Definitely call your kid's Dr/PA/Nurse Practitioner. If your child's primary care provider isn't a jerk, you shouldn't even need to schedule a visit in order to ask, just call and ask one of the nurses, they will consult with the provider and call you back.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

These are most likely minimums as they are quite low for every age group. The amount of milk and cheese my son (17months old) eats would put him over that intake, and some days he eats meat on top of that.

I wasn't entirely sure if it would be helpful, I only use it as a guideline, just thought I would share.

I support the 'speak to a pediatrician' thought though.
  • NatashaK29
    NatashaK29 Posts: 137
    Options
    This is something you should probable consult your doctor about. At 3 maybe a pediasure would be fine but adult shakes are not formulated for such a small child. That being said, I was told by my doctor to give my son a meal or protein shake before bed to help him gain weight (he has ADHD and his meds have him on the lower side of the scale) but he is also 10 and not a toddler. Intresting fact, a body should consume about 1gram of protein a day per lb of lean body mass (for me thats about 115 grams a day). At 3 thats probable only about 20 grams or so per day if that.
  • kasicrawford
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! This site is great! I post a question and in a matter of moments get answers! You all are awesome! I like the pre made shakes - muscle milk. He decided to go in the fridge this morning and open one and drink it!! I usually just let him have a sip or two but not much more. I will have to ask his pediatrist if it's okay to have some sips now and then.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I would say just buy some Pediasure. BUT Pediasure is NASTY! My kids would never drink it. I would just make them a fruit smoothie instead. But first and foremost you need to ask your pediatrician.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

The MFP recommendations are the recommendations of the Institute of Medicine and are not low for the average person, though they might be for those that "lift heavy" and are trying to build muscle. Going over the recommendations is not safe for everyone.

I disagree unless you are talking way over (400+ grams/day). A sedentary adult can safely ingest between 10 and 30% protein (MFP limit is 15%) for those that workout (does not have to be heavy lifting) should be in the 20-30% range. Bodybuilders go even higher.

So in a range of 10-30%, 15% is on the low end of the scale.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options

Oh wow. My kids are definitely over that. LOL My 6 YO will sit and eat a 6 oz. grilled chicken breast all by herself. And then have a serving of edemame on the side. And that's just supper... Though for her lunches she gets mostly fresh fruits and water (by her choosing), so it kind of balances out, but still puts her way over... I guess it's okay for her though being a budding gymnast. :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    does anybody else find it mildly disturbing that the 9-13 YO and 14-18 YO boys and girls are lumped into "adults?"
  • HarryRanson
    HarryRanson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Would definitely consult a paediatrician just in case, but there is nothing that would be more harmful in a protein shake as there would be in a chocolate bar or other highly processed food so I can't really see it as being a problem.

Harry
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I disagree unless you are talking way over (400+ grams/day). A sedentary adult can safely ingest between 10 and 30% protein (MFP limit is 15%) for those that workout (does not have to be heavy lifting) should be in the 20-30% range. Bodybuilders go even higher.

So in a range of 10-30%, 15% is on the low end of the scale.

MOST adults can safely go over the level, but not all. Everyone is not the same. Blanket statements are dangerous.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein recommendation is very low. There's no reason to treat it as a maximum. I'm guessing you don't know anything about nutrition, based on your comment, so I think it's very irresponsible for you to be giving someone advice about their child's nutrition.

Wow, relax.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I would not listen to this. MFP's protein allowance is really low. Protein is the building blocks for our bodies and I would imagine children require a lot of it. Of course, I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't. I would recommend calling your pediatrician and asking them.

Edited to add: Also, they make nutritional supplement shakes for children. You might think about trying him on those.