Officer shot in the line of duty

Options
BAMFMeredith
BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
The other morning a local police officer, Jaime Padron was shot in the chest (his bulletproof vest protected him) and neck at a WalMart store here in Austin. He was responding to a call about a drunk man inside the store at about 2:30 am, and the moment the suspect saw Officer Padron, he pulled out his gun and fired on him. Padron didn't even have time to draw his own gun, and died immediately. Fortunately, the suspect didn't get away, as the WalMart employees tackled the guy and waited for more police to show up.

Yesterday, this was the scene on busy I-35 in the middle of Austin during the funeral procession for Officer Padron. This picture captures it so well, but seeing it in person was just incredible. The entire city stopped yesterday and people were pulled over on overpasses, out of their cars, just standing and watching and honoring this fallen officer. It was a really moving time. Officer Padron left behind a wife and 2 daughters, ages 10 and 6. Despite how corrupt police can be and how there are some bad officers, remember, these men and women risk their lives every single day to keep us safe. So policemen and women, hats off to you guys today, and thank you for what you do!!

Padron.jpg?t=1334239551

Replies

• Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    God Bless him!
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    WOW! x
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am a US Soldier so I can really appreciate this. They deserve the respect also for going out doing what they do. Great pic.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    Amen...
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Wow really moving. So sad hate to hear that sort of thing especially with children.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    The other morning a local police officer, Jaime Padron was shot in the chest (his bulletproof vest protected him) and neck at a WalMart store here in Austin. He was responding to a call about a drunk man inside the store at about 2:30 am, and the moment the suspect saw Officer Padron, he pulled out his gun and fired on him. Padron didn't even have time to draw his own gun, and died immediately. Fortunately, the suspect didn't get away, as the WalMart employees tackled the guy and waited for more police to show up.

Yesterday, this was the scene on busy I-35 in the middle of Austin during the funeral procession for Officer Padron. This picture captures it so well, but seeing it in person was just incredible. The entire city stopped yesterday and people were pulled over on overpasses, out of there cars, just standing and watching and honoring this fallen officer. It was a really moving time. Officer Padron left behind a wife and 2 daughters, ages 10 and 6. Despite how corrupt police can be and how there are some bad officers, remember, these men and women risk their lives every single day to keep us safe. So policemen and women, hats off to you guys today, and thank you for what you do!!

Padron.jpg?t=1334239551

I've been in too many of these processions. It is much appreciated to see that much support at all of them. Thanks for all of the support. :-)
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Beautiful picture and thanks for sharing this!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Very moving...Its always sad to hear about a fallen officer...
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart:

Lovely picture, thanks for posting. :heart:
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Amen-

And thanks to all who serve.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Prayers to his family.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I sincerely admire the respect and togetherness you Americans have for your service people (this too includes officers). Teared up a bit looking at that photo. I think here, it would have been a smaller crowd.
  • carpp107
    carpp107 Posts: 99
    Options
    Meredith,

There are no other occupations that show as much support for their comrades as Police Officers. My Step-Father was killed in the line of duty July 7, 2010 and know first hand the overwhelming outpouring of love from the Police community and the public as well. The hurt never goes away but neither does the support from the Police....They are amazing people!!!!!

-Rob Carpp
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Great post- a very nice read to start off the day.

:flowerforyou:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    This touches my heart immensely. Thank you for posting and showing that yes, people do care.

God bless his family.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    ...and our society continues to glamorize the use of a dangerous, highly addictive and easily obtained drug (alcohol), and we continue to fight against any form of gun control.
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to his family and your community.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is very moving.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have so much respect for the people that serve this country, wether it be at home or overseas. We owe so much to so many. I love to see this kind of respect. Thanks for sharing!
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    :heart: it!!!!!! Thank you!!!!