Do you live in a Food Desert?

Options
k8blujay2
k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
No... not dessert.... desert... and how you eat and live healthy?

For those that don't know this term, a food desert is someplace in an industrialized nation where affordable food is hard to obtain... this may be because of few grocery stores.

I decided to ask out of curiousity because of a conversation I am having with another MFPer... I personally find myself fortunate as we have grocery stores everywhere... seriously, on every route I take home I have at least two grocery stores I can stop at for anything. So for us in my area, it really isn't hard to eat healthy if you really want to do it.. Whole foods (but not necessarily organic) are cheaper in most instances than processed foods and definately cheaper than fast food. I think I (and many others) take this for granted.

And I was curious if there were any MFPers that live in a food desert and how they navigate it to live a healthy life... or do you just go by the "twinkie diet"?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    No - I live in NYC. Everything is available almost all the time.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Everything is pretty available, BUT when asparagus is $5/pound, it limits my fresh veggie options. I'm glad I grow some of my own stuff!!

JM
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Not only is my uber-liberal, mildly rural, college town (pop 80,000 or so, depending on semester) stuffed with grocery stores,

but the economy also appears to run on restaurants

there are 6 "alternative" grocery stores focused on health foods or organics, including one that only sells local foods

there are two soup kitchens and a food bank

two official farmers markets

hundreds of produce stands pop up from spring to fall along both busy roads and back/side roads

about fifteen urban and community gardens

and there are local laws that allow chickens and bees in backyards, and resources for families that are starting to garden.
    This place is the opposite of a food desert. I love this place so much. 79644cd774e764847ca923c2ceaa36b5.png
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Considering the average *kitten* size around here, I'd say no.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Considering the average *kitten* size around here, I'd say no.

*lol* *kitten* size has nothing to do with being in a food desert... it's not about NOT having access to food (if you can call twinkies and hamburger helper food)... it's not having access to quality food.... :laugh: