JM 30 Day SHRED....HELP PLEASE--WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME

Options

Replies

• kludgood
    kludgood Posts: 172
    Options
    Yes that's totally normal! Same thing happened to me I gained 4 lbs then ended up losing 11lbs the last 15 days of doing it! Stick with it you won't be dissappointed :)
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes this happened to me but, I was gaining muscles and losing inches.
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    I would recommend picking up a Heart Rate Monitor. If you are doing mostly cardio, you can gauge how many calories you are burning. Then you would like to eat those calories back, as ridiculous as that may seem, but it's necessary to make sure that your body is not below what it needs to run the every day functions.

If you are eating only 1200 calories and burning approx 500, then your body is only left to work on 700 calories and that would start to put the body in to starvation mode, slowing down the metabolism. Try to calculate the calories your burning with MFP and make sure you are getting 1200 net calories or more.

Also, I have heard, like some have posted, that when you start a workout regiment that it will cause the body to retain water in the muscles for the first week or so. that might explain the gain in weight.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Likely issue: you are not eating enough calories!! 30DS is a hard burn- try adding back in your excerise calories!! Another 300/day and you will start to see results, also push that water up.

Next look at what you are eating- it is quality? Normal to see weight go up a bit- you will retain water after working out if you had previously-answer to that? Drink more water!

Keep with it I finshed shred yesterday-30 days no breaks and lost 7 lbs and 29.25 inches!!!!!!! :happy: :laugh: :tongue: :smile: :love: :love:

You can do it!!!
  • Diamondcut1913
    Diamondcut1913 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not cheating...not worth it....I agree need to increase calories and stay away from scale. :-)
  • Newlyweds
    Newlyweds Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree with what other's have said too. Don't give up. But I do believe in taking breaks, your body needs rest days.

When I did the 30 day shred I would shred M-F then take the weekends for breaks. So I did 2 5 day weeks on each level, taking 6 weeks to complete. I lost 13lbs total, I didn't measure myself but I wish I had. I did take before and after pictures, which I highly suggest you do. Here are mine if your interested. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/548457-30-day-shred-results-6-weeks

Also be sure to drink that water, you could easily be holding water weight and watch your salt intake. Eat lots of lean proteins and whole grains, fruits and veggies. Best to you!!
  • jodyb23
    jodyb23 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm also experiencing this. I lost lbs steadily before 30DS and since starting i'm gaining 1-3 lbs. a day. Likely water weight, but it's frustrating. I did take measurements and took some quick ones as I'm in the middle of 30ds and see i've lost a couple inches in spots! It's hard not to focus on the scale and very discouraging when it's gains! But keep with it!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    eat more and drink more water!!! I didn't lose much weight off the 30ds but i lost 13inches and everyone thought I droped 10lbs. Don't always rely on the scale
  • lauranell79
    lauranell79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So glad I read this post... i've been going up and down and it's been driving me nuts b/c i can't get back under 170 like i was. I am going to up my calorie intake and hope that i start losing again or at least losing inches with the 30DS

another question i have though.... I got a pedometer so that i could be sure of how many calories i am burning and doing the ellipical it's 190 or so but doing JM 30DS it's like 50???? what is up with that???? is this right?
  • steelersfamily6
    steelersfamily6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So glad I read this post... i've been going up and down and it's been driving me nuts b/c i can't get back under 170 like i was. I am going to up my calorie intake and hope that i start losing again or at least losing inches with the 30DS

another question i have though.... I got a pedometer so that i could be sure of how many calories i am burning and doing the ellipical it's 190 or so but doing JM 30DS it's like 50???? what is up with that???? is this right?

I don't think a pedometer is going to work as well as a HRM, heart rate monitor. I was also going to use a pedometer but I didn;t think it would give me calorie burn. I love my Polar FT4, it is the best $69 I have ever spent and you can get them cheaper on amazon.
  • lauranell79
    lauranell79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I don't think a pedometer is going to work as well as a HRM, heart rate monitor. I was also going to use a pedometer but I didn;t think it would give me calorie burn. I love my Polar FT4, it is the best $69 I have ever spent and you can get them cheaper on amazon.

ohhhh ok that makes sense then. thanks!!! i was just wondering if i was doing the workouts wrong LOL
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, it is INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT to gain muscle mass on a calorie deficit (ESPECIALLY only 1200 calories).

The gain is water weight. When you are sore your muscle become inflamed and retain water to help repair.

TO be honest, you may need to up your calories now that you are exercising. Please make sure you are eating your exercise calories back. It is imperative.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I only lost 6lbs but 11" when I did the shred. Don't give up!
  • Ratchett13
    Ratchett13 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I finished the 30 Day Shred at the end of march. I did it for 30 days straight. I did not lose any weight (in fact I gained a bit at the beginning) until towards the end of level 2. I lost 7.4 lbs and 16 inches when it was all over. Measure yourself for sure! Thats the only thing that kept me going. And take before and after pics. I couldn't see the difference until i looked at the before and afters WOW. Now I'm doing the Ripped in 30 and i started taking rest days. I already lost 3.2 lbs and 4 inches in just a week! REST! Its good for you!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories or you will be under your BMR and stall your weightloss.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    hi im on day 5 of level 2 and ive gained 4 pounds and not lost any inches yet, but my trousers are alot looser than when i started, i can definately see changes in my body but it is a bit scary when you see the pounds going on, im definately sticking with it though and hoping to lose weight from it eventually.
  • I agree with quite a few of the posts above, but imo 30DS is really a beginners workout... since you've been working out for awhile maybe that's why your results aren't as consistant with what you've seen on here?
  • rds532
    rds532 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump - getting ready for work but want to read this. I am on day 4 of 30DS and have some of the same worries!
  • 2012slimjim
    Options
    Ditto I ended up losing 6.5 pounds in the end but 23 inches. Like you though I am so programmed to look at the number on the scale as a success indicator I really struggled. As others have said fat takes up a lot more space than muscle, you could have lost 3 pounds of fat but gained 6 of muscle. Net result gaining 3 pounds but probably losing inches. I have not lost any weight for 3 weeks and am on day 4 of week 2 of Ripped in 30 now. I may not have lost weight but have lost 9 inches in that time. Good luck, I hope the inches are dropping off you, the weight will catch up x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!