eating fruit on a diet

Options
They say you're supposed to eat several servings of fruit everyday but it' seems like if I have more then one piece I end up going way over my sugar limit ... is their a such thing as too much fruit?

Replies

• MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Eat as much fruit as you can within your calorie limit but don't sweat the sugar, fruit sugar is natural it's refined sugars you need to restrict.

Hope this helps.
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Eat as much fruit as you can within your calorie limit but don't sweat the sugar, fruit sugar is natural it's refined sugars you need to restrict.

Hope this helps.

^^^ Agree. Seriously - if you've cut out the processed-sugar crap (cookies, fruit juice, and lots of other processed stuff that has hidden sugar in it) and the sugar you're getting is from fruit, I wouldn't sweat it!
  • Elona_30
    Elona_30 Posts: 66
    Options
    thanks all that is a question I was thinking of lately as well, this makes eating that fruit so much easier for me. :)
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I agree! I don't care if I go over my sugar limit with fruit, as long as I avoid cookies, chocolate bars and other unhealthy things that are full of bad sugar.
    Fruit is good and tastes great!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that the sugar in fruit can still raise your blood sugar followed by an insulin surge followed by a drop in blood sugar which can cause hunger and cravings. If you eat some protein with your fruit it will slow the digestion, or only eat a little at a time, or stick to low sugar fruits it will help to prevent this. This is why the South Beach plan recommends 1-3 low sugar fruits per day eaten with protein.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that the sugar in fruit can still raise your blood sugar followed by an insulin surge followed by a drop in blood sugar which can cause hunger and cravings. If you eat some protein with your fruit it will slow the digestion, or only eat a little at a time, or stick to low sugar fruits it will help to prevent this. This is why the South Beach plan recommends 1-3 low sugar fruits per day eaten with protein.

This! Sugar, is sugar, is sugar. Your body has no idea what the source is. It's not like it doesn't count if it's from fruit. It does. It still needs to be managed within your total calories and your macros. Honestly, I don't where this idea of "it's ok if it's from fruit" comes from. Fruit can be beneficial to your health but the sugar in fruit is still sugar and counts towards your overall carb and sugar intake.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

This! Sugar, is sugar, is sugar. Your body has no idea what the source is. It's not like it doesn't count if it's from fruit. It does. It still needs to be managed within your total calories and your macros. Honestly, I don't where this idea of "it's ok if it's from fruit" comes from. Fruit can be beneficial to your health but the sugar in fruit is still sugar and counts towards your overall carb and sugar intake.

Well the reason fruit is okay is because it has fiber and other nutrients that makes its consumption worth it. Plus it digests slower than say drinking coke so you don't get too much sugar in a very short amount of time.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^ Yep.....

Sugar in fruits (and even some veggies like Squashes can have a high amount of sugar) can still have a detrimental effect on weight loss of you ingest to much of them. Some fruits that are higher in sugars are easy to over eat a serving (like grapes).

Saying sugar in fruits is better than sugar in cake and candies is a misnomer...as someone else pointed out sugar is sugar and your body doesn't know the difference between sugar from cookies vs sugar from an apple (table sugar is made up of Fructose and Glucose and so is an apple).

It is better to have a piece of fruit over a cookie or a candy because the fruit will have added benefits of vitamins and minerals most processed or "treat" food won't.

So having 40 grams of sugar a day from fruit sources is not as bad as 40 grams of sugar from cakes, processed food, candy, sweetners, etc...but you do want to watch them none the less
  • mmapags
    Options

Well the reason fruit is okay is because it has fiber and other nutrients that makes its consumption worth it. Plus it digests slower than say drinking coke so you don't get too much sugar in a very short amount of time.

You are correct but the total amount in a day still affects calories and total sugar, so it needs to be eaten sensibly. I was more reacting to the "if it's fruit it's ok" as though it doesn't count calorie wise or carb wise. Also, most (and I say most because some do) people don't drink that coke in the absence of any other food. It's consumed as part of, say, a lunch with a sandwich with some protein and some lettuce and tomato for fiber. But non the less, total amount still needs to be considered.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Sugar is Sugar, as has already been said, but do consider that like serving sizes at restaurants which have grown or been super sized, our farmers have also super sized our fruit. a serving of fruit is pretty small and even as a diabetic I keep it in my diet I just have to be very aware that a piece of fruit is likely more than one serving and treat it appropriately.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

You are correct but the total amount in a day still affects calories and total sugar, so it needs to be eaten sensibly. I was more reacting to the "if it's fruit it's ok" as though it doesn't count calorie wise or carb wise. Also, most (and I say most because some do) people don't drink that coke in the absence of any other food. It's consumed as part of, say, a lunch with a sandwich with some protein and some lettuce and tomato for fiber. But non the less, total amount still needs to be considered.

Yeah but there are so many processed foods in addition to soft drinks that have added sugar so it adds up really fast. If instead you get most of your sugar from fruit, it won't add up as fast because fruit is typically more satiating.
  • dancecentral
    dancecentral Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I have cut out all junk food and most other high sugar processed food but will continue eat fruit only in moderation :smile:
  • mmapags
    Options

Yeah but there are so many processed foods in addition to soft drinks that have added sugar so it adds up really fast. If instead you get most of your sugar from fruit, it won't add up as fast because fruit is typically more satiating.

Completely agree. Just not in unlimited amounts. I think we're in agreement on that.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Of course sugar is sugar regardless of where it comes from and does affect insulin levels but I say don't worry, or sweat, about fruit sugars because they are packed full of vitamins and anti-oxidants that the body really needs. They are good for you and unless you are diabetic or really not eating enough that fruit sugar isn't going to cause you any problems in the long run.

It goes without saying really that everything must be eaten within moderation but I'd rather eat a few pieces of fruit a day and get some nutritional benefit from it than eat a cookie or two which is doing me no favours other than increasing my fat intake!!!

Personally I'd rather get my vitamins and minerals from natural sources rather than manufactured shakes or pills!!!!!!