need advice from women who lift

Options
Hey there! Today I am beginning my attempts to "lift heavy" and start building muscle in addition to losing fat.
I looked online for a good workout schedule, do any of you more experienced people think this looks like an effective workout?

Workout A
3x5 barbell squats
3x5 dumbbell bench press
1x5 barbell dead lift
2x8 dumbbell decline bench press
3x5 incline sit-ups (weighted)
3x8 hyperextensions or superman

Workout B
3x5 barbell squats
3x5 dumbbell overhead press (sit)
3x5 bent-over rows

Alternating workout A and B for each day, with some additional cardio.
Does this looks like it will get results? The reps just seem pretty low to me, but then again, I've never done this. Some of them use dumbbells instead of a barbell like most would use because I want to be able to do this all on my own.
Also, can i continue eating a calorie deficit, or will this defeat the purpose?

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    How much are you going to be lifting?
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat plenty of protein. I like to do last set with reps to failure. Also, if I lift heavy, I need more than a day between, espeically with cardio in there.
  • yocherries
    Options
    How much are you going to be lifting?

Its hard to say because I don't really know what I'm capable of yet.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Maybe something like Stronglifts 5x5 or NROLFW would be a better start for you?
  • burklebees
    Options
    You should try to do at least 10 reps per set and at least 3 sets of each exercise. If you are able to do 3 sets of 10 easily, you will know that the weights are too light and you can increase. Its the way I do it and it seems to work well. Also, you can eat at a calorie deficit, but like janeite1990 said, eat lots of protein. Lifting and cadio can give great results. Good luck!!!
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Jamie Eason LiveFit on bodybuilding.com would also be a good starting point.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Today I am beginning my attempts to "lift heavy" and start building muscle in addition to losing fat.
    I looked online for a good workout schedule, do any of you more experienced people think this looks like an effective workout?

Workout A
    3x5 barbell squats
    3x5 dumbbell bench press
    1x5 barbell dead lift
    2x8 dumbbell decline bench press

Workout B
    3x5 barbell squats
    3x5 dumbbell overhead press (sit)
    3x5 bent-over rows

Alternating workout A and B for each day, with some additional cardio.
    Does this looks like it will get results? The reps just seem pretty low to me, but then again, I've never done this. Some of them use dumbbells instead of a barbell like most would use because I want to be able to do this all on my own.
    Also, can i continue eating a calorie deficit, or will this defeat the purpose?
    DO NOT DO THIS EVERYDAY!!!

If you are doing and A B breakdown do it at most 3 days/week M, W, F, so week 1 you do M -A, W -B, F -A, then week 2 you do M-B, W-A, F-B. If you do this everyday your muscle will not have time to repair, which is when you make strength and muscle size gains.
  • cassandra827
    cassandra827 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with janeite1990, you should at least take a day rest between upper and lower body to give the muscles time to repair otherwise you can risk injury. If you feel the weights are too light increase the reps OR go heavier with the weight and keep the reps at the same....similar results with both.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I also do 3 sets of 10 reps...
    I like to have a day of rest inbetween lifting days and do cardio everyday
    I agree with eating lots of protein and drink lots of water!!!
  • yocherries
    Options
    Thank you for the advice about not doing this every day. Can I do cardio on the days i'm not lifting. Or, what is a good way to incorporate cardio?
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    Options
    You should try to do at least 10 reps per set and at least 3 sets of each exercise. If you are able to do 3 sets of 10 easily, you will know that the weights are too light and you can increase. Its the way I do it and it seems to work well. Also, you can eat at a calorie deficit, but like janeite1990 said, eat lots of protein. Lifting and cadio can give great results. Good luck!!!

No reason to do 10 reps/set, her workout is based on Starting Strength and Stonglifts 5x5, which are for only 5 reps/set and are beginner programs.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    also - is it safe to do barbell squats alone? will you be doing these at home or in a gym?

thanks
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I agree on a rest day after serious lifting. Feel free to do other things like cardio or break up your lifting in to different body parts. Like focusing on lower body one day and upper body the next day. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    Options
    Thank you for the advice about not doing this every day. Can I do cardio on the days i'm not lifting. Or, what is a good way to incorporate cardio?

Yes Cardio on in between days would be fine, just don't do too high intensity more than a day or 2 per week.
  • sara1923
    sara1923 Posts: 53
    Options
    yep.. I am going to agree 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps. the exercises are all good exercises but there are some muscle groups that are left out. I have a routine on my profile and have it organized so you can see what exercises belong to which muscle groups. I set it up based on information from bodybuilding.com, books, internet where I tried to find the most effective exercises. I started lifting last November. Not a expert but I did ask a lot of opinions when putting together my routine. Any criticism is still welcome :)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Here, read this (the download program is free):

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Happy lifting!
  • girlnumber57
    Options
    bump - looks like some great advice here.
  • EmeriaDewes
    Options
    Bump
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Jamie Eason LiveFit on bodybuilding.com would also be a good starting point.

These programs are good advice.

OP Looking at your program I'd question what additional benefit you will get from the weighted sit ups when you have squats in your work out.