Do you give or take advice from other people at the gym?

Options
Yesterday evening I was workout, and I notice this young lady attempting to do bent over rows with a straight bar. Her legs were straight when they should have been relax, and she wasn't coming all the way up. I wanted to assist her, but I don’t want to be that guy that goes around thinking he knows everything about the gym and how to working out, but at the same time I don't want to see anyone get hurt by not using the proper form on an exercise. What would you do???

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I think giving and taking advice is just part of the gym culture, Ive had some random people walk up and give me a quick simple tip that have changed the way ive done some lifts entirely, I think everyone in the gym owes it to each other to give and take advice
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If I were in the position of the lady doing the workout incorrectly, I would appreciate someone giving me guidance on how to do it right, and not hurt myself. I think that it's perfectly okay to tell her tactfully.
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    In cases like that you just have to walk softly, maybe talk to her after you've guys finished working out in the parking lot, you just gotta know when to approach, I dont think anything is wrong with giving or taking advice in the gym, thats where I learned most techniques and best practices is from people in the gym. And alot of times thats better for me because you can get hands on training. To each its own I say, but I see nothing wrong.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides of the story..Approach is everything in the gym...Ladies are really sensitive when it come to fitness....Definitely try to make a comfortable approach and as D-bow said make small talk with help...I have had a few in my 9yrs of being at my gym that offer advice...Some got the business handed to them and others hey showed me..did a couple sets and it was a win...All in the approach..I say give advice no one wants an injury to the body!!