Calories Burned on the Elliptical VS what MFP says? Help Ple

Options
2»

Replies

• kskostamikel
    Options
    My husband is 6'0" and 185 and his HRM says he burns about 215-250 going 3-4 mph with the incline on.

I am shorter and weight more than you do, but I wear an HRM when on the elliptical and I usually burn about 250 in 30 mintues going an average speed of 2.5-3 mph and the incline off.

MFP's numbers are always drastically higher than my HRM for any exercise for me so I never use their's. Got an HRM on Amazon for about $50.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I do eat back exercise calories and I don't use a HRM.

I go with 100 calories per 10 minutes for running (per mile for walking ).

For my classes I assume about 400 calories. MFP will say 6-700 but we have warm up / cool down, adjusting equipment, demonstration of moves or me being physically exhausted.
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    the best and most accurate way to measure how many cals you burn is to wear a heart rate monitor. you can purchase one online around $60 www.bodytronics.com (polar ft4 is a good one)...you can also go to www.caloriesperhour.com to get a good estimate...it will ask for your weight, age, &sex to determine how many cals burned for a particular activity. the cals burned according to fitness equipment are just estimates and varies between equipment. the most accurate would be on a treadmill, then a bike, step machine, then eliptical. the cals are determined based on a formula...the one for the treadmill has been around the longest. they become more accurate if they ask for you age, sex, and weight. unfortunately, studies have shown that the calories equipment determines a person burns can be up to 30% more than what is actually burned, which can hamper our weight loss either by causing us to eat too many cals if you eat back your exercise cals or not burning enough cals to create a deficit.
    hope this makes sense for you!
    best wishes on your journey :)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are entering your weight. Most machines automatically are set at about 150 lbs but since you weigh more, you would burn more.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I go off of what MFP says, not that it matters much to me, I rarely eat back my exercise calories.