Pay yourself to workout!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

Ya know, not everyone has an iPhone. A real life example isn't cruddy just because some people from Harvard developed a program to do it electronically.

Frankly, I think that was a waste of time because I could do it electronically myself, I don't need an app for that.

You don't have a clue how the app works, apparently. Never said it was a cruddy idea anyhow, so there's no need to get pissy. It's a pretty cool app, for those of us that have smart phones. It's entirely topical, and I'm sure plenty of people will be happy to be made aware of this tool.

I do have a smart phone, but not an iPhone. The way you were responding to the OP and respondents was very condescending, and I didn't appreciate the tone, no more than I appreciate the tone in this response. Maybe just scale back the attitude a wee bit, and it wouldn't sound like that.
  • Quasita
    Options

Ya know, not everyone has an iPhone. A real life example isn't cruddy just because some people from Harvard developed a program to do it electronically.

Frankly, I think that was a waste of time because I could do it electronically myself, I don't need an app for that.

You don't have a clue how the app works, apparently. Never said it was a cruddy idea anyhow, so there's no need to get pissy. It's a pretty cool app, for those of us that have smart phones. It's entirely topical, and I'm sure plenty of people will be happy to be made aware of this tool.

You also have failed to communicate the type of commitment that the application requires. I do understand how it works, but perhaps it has not registered for you that not everyone has gym availability, and not everyone can pledge money to a work out pool like that. I certainly wouldn't pledge any money towards an application that in the event I couldn't check in at a gym on a workout day, I'd lose money.

To each their own but the attitude is terrible. That's all. More power to the OP for finding ways to motivate!
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The way you were responding to the OP and respondents was very condescending, and I didn't appreciate the tone, no more than I appreciate the tone in this response. Maybe just scale back the attitude a wee bit, and it wouldn't sound like that.

I think you're putting a lot into it that isn't there...but it is what it is
  • bigsizemo
    bigsizemo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm in and what about if you miss a workout that is on your schedule you remove a 1$, works for me
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I actually acquired a weightloss sponsor that I worked out a reasonable goal with.

At the time, we gave me 25 weeks to lose 50 pounds. Those weeks end on June 29th.
    If/when I hit 50 pounds before that time, he has committed to paying $3/pound, totaling $150
    If I lose more than 50, he'll pay $5/pound for each additional pound, up to $250.

So, that means, I can max out the cash payout by losing 70 pounds. My parents will likely match it.

This is what got me going in the first place, and I'm pretty on track with a gross loss of 20 pounds so far. I like this because I don't have to save my own money for it, and I don't have it available and tempting me... LOL
    How do you find a sponsor like that??!!
  • Quasita
    Options
    I actually acquired a weightloss sponsor that I worked out a reasonable goal with.

At the time, we gave me 25 weeks to lose 50 pounds. Those weeks end on June 29th.
    If/when I hit 50 pounds before that time, he has committed to paying $3/pound, totaling $150
    If I lose more than 50, he'll pay $5/pound for each additional pound, up to $250.

So, that means, I can max out the cash payout by losing 70 pounds. My parents will likely match it.

This is what got me going in the first place, and I'm pretty on track with a gross loss of 20 pounds so far. I like this because I don't have to save my own money for it, and I don't have it available and tempting me... LOL
    How do you find a sponsor like that??!!

Honestly? I was talking to this friend and mentioned that I wished I had a sponsor and he came up with the rest and offered me the deal. It really gave me a sense of my friends giving a crap about me :)

My employer also gives insurance premium discounts as incentive to participate in wellness programs, so I'm earning in a couple ways. :)
  • aminahzjohnson
    aminahzjohnson Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been doing something like this since New Year. I have a daily health chart, and for every task I complete, I give myself a dime. Some of the things I have on there are: be on time for work, eat something organic, drink 70 ounces of water, eat at least 6 fruits/veggies, do something nice for my husband, be in bed by 10:30, take my supplements, try something new, etc. I recently bought myself a heart rate monitor with my funds.

That's a great idea too!!
  • aminahzjohnson
    Options
    thats a great idea! wish you were around months ago! but ive already spent a ton on a new wardrobe. this might hold me accountable not to spend more. I am loving my body now!

Great! How much have you lost? What did you do?
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I love this idea, except that I usually shop for clothes every weekend...so boo. It wont work for me!
    *clothes *kitten**

Hmmmm. How about everytime you DON'T work out you take away a dollar from your clothing money? Just a thought. I cannot wait to start buying clothes again. Jealous......wish I was a clothes *kitten*!
  • ChelseyDesaray
    ChelseyDesaray Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What an excellent idea!!! Before i gave birth to my daughter i put 500$ in savings and that is money i am going to use for clothes when i get down to my goal weight!
  • aminahzjohnson
    Options
    Two developers from Harvard have already beaten you to the punch. You guys have seriously never heard of GymPact?

Um, no...but thanks for mentioning it and posting the link :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you can pay yourself for something. If I didn't have enough in the jar for what I wanted I could just buy it anyway out of the money I didn't earn from myself...
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you can pay yourself for something. If I didn't have enough in the jar for what I wanted I could just buy it anyway out of the money I didn't earn from myself...

Well, I suppose it's really a question of self discipline. You pay / reward yourself when you meet certain objectives, but that only works if you deprive yourself when you DON'T meet those objectives.

The app I mentioned pools all the money of the people who break the "pact" to pay those who keep the "pact." So, if you commit to work out 5 times in a week, you get paid for those days. If you don't work out, you PAY into the pool

ETA: the app would take the "self discipline" question out of it...since there's some external power providing the incentive and the consequences too
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
  • aminahzjohnson
    Options

Well...that would defeat the purpose of the jar. If you have the discipline to put money in the jar per workout then this idea is for you. If not, then it's not.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,112 Member
    Options
    I have been doing something similar to this for a while (like for 3 years). I pay myself $2 for every day I exercise. I started out by giving myself $10 if I exercised 5 time a week, but I would find myself having only exercised 2 or 3 times by the time Saturday came around, so I wouldn't exercise because I wasn't going to be able to make my 5 times anyway. I also give myself $10 for every pound I lose and have to take away $10 if I gain a pound. Since Nov 2011, I have been counting this on a monthly basis. The money has to be used for something I want, but don't necessarily need. So far, I have purchased a nice digital camera and a Kindle Fire. Not sure what my next purchase will be.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    cute idea!

Bumpin to catch up later:wink:

ETA:
    Two developers from Harvard have already beaten you to the punch. You guys have seriously never heard of GymPact?

Um, no...but thanks for mentioning it and posting the link :)
    She/He just deactivated their account.

:flowerforyou: