Walking isn't an exercise?

Options

Replies

• londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    anything that gets you moving counts, and especially since you have those conditions you're doing well by just walking, and keep it up, if you can go faster/uphill/use hand weights then even better but otherwise normal walking is good too for 30 mins+ daily if you can manage it.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    walking is an exercise. Anything that requires you to move is an exercise. All exercise does is burn calories, while you will burn more if you run or get your heart rate up, I think doing something you love is more important that how much it is going to burn.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Tell him it would help if he helped motivate you rather than being so discouraging! Walking's great exercise and you can show him it on the MFP database if he's disbelieving - I log my daily dog walks and really notice the difference. I think the hardest part of exercise is the motivation, so if walking's something you can stick with then that's just what you should do.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    the hunter gatherer would walk upto 20miles a day in search of food, dont let anyone tell you walking is not an exercise! is great low impact calorie burn. I walk 8k a day with my dog. does wonders
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Walking absolutely burns calories I walk at least for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week of course my heart rate gets really elevated because while walking and listening to music I move to the rythm and swirve my hips or I do punches as I walk and believe me I break a sweat!
  • 32nissy
    32nissy Posts: 67
    Options
    yes walking is exercise i do it all the time.
  • Elona_30
    Elona_30 Posts: 66
    Options
    I have lost over 40lbs just by walking, when you don't have a vechical and all you can do is walk you get your heart rate up, it all deoends on what you can handle. Keep it up and tell that Hubby of yours to either do it with you and shut up, sorry its not fair of him to be like that he should be supporting you not putting you down.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Heck yes walking is exercise!

I have days when I'm in so much pain (spinal fusion/bulging disc/arthritis) that walking is about all I can do. It is better than sitting on the couch, no?
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I walk nearly every single day unless I'm doing a workout class. I started walking every day at lunch and now, I walk in the evenings at the high school track. I've lost 85 lbs. in a year.... so poo on him!
  • c3js80
    c3js80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I lost close to 50 pounds just walking and staying within my calorie limit. It took me about 6 months. I'm also 55 years old. I've kept it off for 2 years, and have just now started to get into some strength training. I have MS in addition to Fibro, so i will never be a runner, and there will always be a limit to what I can do. You keep at it and you will be fine. If I wouldn't have been walking, I'd still be fused to the couch eating chips and Ben and Jerry's,
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love walking...and yes.....it is exercise. maybe he needs to try it instead of complaining about it.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    in 2000 i lost about 65 pounds just walking and watching what i was eating. it's definitely an exercise and with health complications it's a great one to start with. Increase your speed and like someone else mentioned, do intervals with it. Make it fun. Are there exercises you can do like jumping jacks, burpees, lunges etc? Make a routine up. Do 3 rounds of fast paced walk/moderate walk, at the end of the third round do 10 jumping jacks and then start over. The next "break" do 10 burpees, or knee high lifts, lunges etc. If you're near a tree, do a close grip pushup against the trunk.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My mom walked off over 100lbs - she also ate right but she never did anything but WALK! I have fibro too and sometimes its all I can do to get off the couch but I CAN walk and I CAN ride my horse and both of those things burn calories. Obviously if you get your heart rate up there faster, its better for your cardio and will burn calories but walking is low impact and puts a lot less stress on muscles and joints which is imperative for someone with fibro. So you keep walking darlin!! :)
  • adoptakalyn
    Options
    Walking is my favorite exercise, and I can stick with it more than anything, but my husband says that "walking" isn't an exercise. He says in order to lose any weight I have to get my heart rate up and really burn those calories. Is this true? I mean I am sure more strenuous exercise will burn more calories but if I have something that works and can stick too it is that a bad thing? I have Fibromyalgia and Neuropathy on one side due to some previous traumas so I can't do P90X (although I did try),
    and I really do not try to use these conditions as an excuse to not exercise. Does anyone have an opinion on what he says? Thanks for any advice.

Walking most certainly is an exercise and to lose weight you have to get your heart rate up but not as much as most people think. You should keep your heart rate at about 65% of max to lose weight (which walking briskly does for you), 70% or higher and you're doing cardio which is like weight training for your heart. Feel free to do some research on it, I've taken a few college classes on health and nutrtion to become better informed.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    He is WRONG
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    30 mins minimum brisk walking/day and watching calories = 34lb lost in around 3 months. Walking works!
  • jatiger83
    jatiger83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Walking is totally an exercise :) My aunt lost over 100 lbs just by walking. I love walking bc it's an exercise I can include my son in! We walk at least 3 times a week. Keep up the walking and you will see changes!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Walking is exercise. Getting up and moving regularly is more important than running on a treadmill. Everyone should do this.

It's not high-intensity exercise, and I have seen a lot of people get to the point in their weight loss journey where walking alone doesn't really do much for them anymore... But walking is indeed important!! :)
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Walking is my favorite exercise, and I can stick with it more than anything, but my husband says that "walking" isn't an exercise. He says in order to lose any weight I have to get my heart rate up and really burn those calories. Is this true?

No, it is not true. However it is true you do need to get your heart rate up. :) But walking does that.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50lbs walking and changing what I ate...........walking IS an exercise :o)