Achy feet while exercising?

Options

Replies

• lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    My feet go to sleep on the elliptical all the time but I cant feel them after awhile so it doesn't bother me. i dont know if thats normal or bad but I just keep goin! :ohwell:
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Since i started jogging I now have shin splints, kinda like achy feet just higher up
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fascitis and I have found that the walk fit insert from Bed Bath and Beyond really help. Also, it is counter intuitive, but some barefoot (not flip flop) time at home helps to strengthen my feet. I also soak in a foot soak. Cold water, epsom salts, and a little lavender baby wash (for a nice smell). This has helped me.

^^^^I have this too and it HURTS!!!!!! :sad:
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Try Vibram five-fingers and/or barefoot if you're indoors. I have high arches and have the same issue with conventional shoes for anything high-impact.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I have the same problem. I drink plenty of water and wear good shoes with insoles. Also, my ankles and calves start to hurt when I walk more than 20 minutes or so.
  • Dixietrink82
    Dixietrink82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    HA HA HA ......the website blocked the sporting goods store name! D*cks. That's hilarious
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba for the first time the other day. Tem minutes in and my feet hurt so bad that I had to take my shoes off. My feet were so much better after I ditched the shoes and went barefoot. I think I'm going to look into getting some Vibram Five FIngers.
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    it could also be from a shortened tendon. I have super high arches-wear 4 inch heels and danced ballet for years which lead to this problem for me. Flex your foot and tape it at the arch. It helps to lengthen the tendon-that advice came from my podiatrist.

I use a tennis ball to massage my feet while I watch tv-roll your foot back and forth on the tennis ball-it really does help.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba for the first time the other day. Tem minutes in and my feet hurt so bad that I had to take my shoes off. My feet were so much better after I ditched the shoes and went barefoot. I think I'm going to look into getting some Vibram Five FIngers.
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

I prefer to do my workouts barefoot as well. :smile:
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem! I went to Cabelas and bought walking/hiking shoes and no longer have that problem! Good luck to you!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    By any chance do you have flat feet?
  • msjamartin
    msjamartin Posts: 148
    Options
    Most likely you do not have the right size and support in your shoes. road runner is a running store and they will evalute your feet/running style. They have many steps, including a pressure pad that will show how you stand for balance and pressure points. They video you jogging on a treadmill barefoot so they can see if you roll your ankles in or out. They will fit you for insoles if needed for support and then you can try several shoes for the type of workout you will be doing that fit your needs. They have many brands and styles. You need to find a running store that will do this type of evalution in your area. You do not have to buy your shoes at most of these store to get the evaluation. It is usually free. Find what works for you and then go search online for the same shoe at less money.

FYI - your running/workout shoes should be at least a 1/2 size bigger than regular shoes as your feet will swell. That is one of the reasons feet can get numb or hurt in your current shoes.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have had lots of foot issues. Where it hurts is really important. If it is the heel, you might be getting plantar fasciitis.If it is the tops, if it is the arches it could be poor arch support. The feet are pretty complex, and if you have extra weight, it could be simple stress.

I have been to a running shoe fitter at a store where they did a free gate analysis. I also went to a podiatrist. He gave me custom inserts and a lot of knowledge about how to take care of my feet. Pain in the feet is never good, it's not like muscle burn which is essential.

At least go to a running store and get properly fitted. f that doesn't work, I would suggest a podiatrist. However; what I have found is most people on here do too much, too, fast.
  • M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options
    My feet go to sleep on the elliptical all the time but I cant feel them after awhile so it doesn't bother me. i dont know if thats normal or bad but I just keep goin! :ohwell:

This happens to me every time...its really distracting!

Does Anyone have some advise to fix this problem????
  • tammyclinch
    tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Vibram five-fingers ?
  • abigailm83
    abigailm83 Posts: 110
    Options

^^^^ This happens to me as well and I do the same thing just keep going. If it gets really bad I'll slow down a bit and try to shake them out without stopping.:smile: I probably look like a fool now that I think about it :laugh:
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    ummmm this makes me seem kinda dim....but when my feet were getting numb and sore it was cause i was tying my shoe laces too tight. :blushing:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    if your feet go numb or tingle it could also be a pinched nerve or your shoe strings are too tight.

I have terrible foot issues during exercise. Having great inserts, the RIGHT size shoe and not the size I think I am:blushing: keeping my laces just right.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

^^^^ This happens to me as well and I do the same thing just keep going. If it gets really bad I'll slow down a bit and try to shake them out without stopping.:smile: I probably look like a fool now that I think about it :laugh:

My doc said this is the pinched nerve in my back causing that and to try to adjust my stance or stop using the ET all together.
  • FunkyMonkey47
    Options
    I had PLANTAR FACIITIS about a year ago in both feet and really struggled to walk.... i had to wear lace up shoes to fully support my feet as this was all that was helping apart from the pain killers.... i also had to do a few feet exercises ie. stretches and i used to keep to cans of soda in the fridge and at night would get them out and sit them under my feet and roll them back n forth... it helped a great deal........ occaisionally i get a twinge in my feet and i think its gonna all start up again.... but touch wood it hasnt and lets hope it doesnt..... i hope your problem clears soon:wink: